Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you stand on ?

To anyone: When you work on a tall car what do you stand on or use to gain the hight to work on the higher sections that you can`t reach with feet on the ground ? I am currently using a milk crate and I am thinking there may be something better.
    Thanx in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you stand on ?

Most people use something like this: View | Werner US

I have a plastic Rubbermaid plastic one that`s about a foot high that usually gets me high enough:

Likes Stokdgs, Fishing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use a fold out platform stand, about 3 feet long. Gives some room to move. You can get them at any big hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Aluminum with fold out legs. Close to foot and a half or 2 feet high I think.
    Likes Fishing liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

I have been trying to copy the link to the type og platform about 5 times. This site keeps forbidding it??
    Thanks Fishing thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    I have been trying to copy the link to the type og platform about 5 times. This site keeps forbidding it??
    I put a link to the Werner platform in my post, the one everybody buys on Black Friday at Lowe`s or Home Depot.
    Likes Silly Rabbit, tom p., Fishing liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve got the platform Setec links to in post #2. Very high quality and stable, I rarely use it. I also bought a small fold-up step stool (I believe by Gorilla, Home Depot) that was $15. You can see an identical Rubbermaid product on AMZN for $19. That one gets used a lot.

We currently have a couple of SUVs and it`s close to impossible for me to reach the entire roof without some sort of aid.
    Cars: bringing people together

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    I use a fold out platform stand, about 3 feet long. Gives some room to move. You can get them at any big hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Aluminum with fold out legs. Close to foot and a half or 2 feet high I think.
    Yes, I also have one of these for decades... It is the most stable, and actually wide enough so you can get your feet all the way on it and never feel the ends of it...And yes, they length of this lets you get a longer ways down the top before you have to get off and move it...
    Dan F
    Likes 65chevy, Fishing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use my three brothers when washing my suv

Post Thanks / Like

I have a platform. Werner or gorilla but I now just use the three step step stool and a wash mop on a stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

For normal washing I just stand on the back tire. For polishing which I haven`t done since 1903 I use one of those aluminum 3 step platform ladders.
    Likes Fishing, Stokdgs, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I too use the Work Platforms. The Werner one is the best, but when it was discontinued I had to get some from Bauer. (I used 5 of `em when I had the Yukon XLD, but can get by with four on the Tahoe.)

I simply don`t understand how people get by without them as it`s *still* quite challenging for me to keep the roofs of big vehicles nice. With the foamgun in one hand and my wash medium in the other, I want a stable surface that gives me a proper view of things, and I sure don`t want to slip and fall.
    Likes 65chevy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have my dad’s Jeep Grand Cherokee to apply an LSP to soon. I do have a generic folding platform ladder which always serves me well to work on SUV roofs.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes 65chevy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

fishing, and to everyone else who has and may buy a platform ladder like that in Setec`s link:
    I just want to stress the need to apply some type of anti-slip/anti-skid tape or appliques to the steps and platform surface. It is similar to the sandpaper-like tape you see on skateboards. Since washing a vehicle involves soap-and-water and usually a garden hose for those of you who do two-bucket washes, soap-and-water are a slippery component on aluminum platform steps and standing surface, even though they are "ridged" or serrated to provide some grip when stepped on. Even wearing deck shoes or slippers, as good as they are on wet surfaces, can be slippery when dealing with soap-and-water on such surfaces.
    You also need to be cognitive (big word for "mentally aware") where your feet are before you step or move to the side on the platform because you may be so focused on getting to the next area on a roof to wash that you may not realize where on the platform you are and inadvertently step off the ends or side facing away from the vehicle. I have gotten into the practice of looking down at my feet on the platform BEFORE I step just to make sure I know where I am.
    Also, try not to overreach your body instead of getting down and moving the platform to the next area of the roof or front windshield you want to wash , clean, and/or polish. While you may think you have good balance, it is easy to misjudge how "good" that balance is with a wet wash media or polisher in your hand(s) with an extended arm(s), standing on one foot at the end of the platform trying to reach that LAST little area.
    AND USE THE LEG LOCKING LATCH ON BOTH LEGS! It is easy to forget to do that if you intend to use the platform briefly to reach just one area ,say, the middle of the windshield on an SUV to clean the bugs off of. Collapsed legs can easily happen when you stand on the platform to one end if they are not locked.
    Also, if you are on uneven ground, be careful what you place under the leg foots to level out the platform. If you need something taller/thicker to do so, just make sure it is bigger than the foot itself or try not to use multiple pieces, like three rocks that may slip off of each other. If the area or ground is THAT uneven, maybe you should consider moving the vehicle to somewhere it is little less uneven or inclined.
    Falls off a platform ladder can easily land you in the Emergency Room (no pun intended) and put a real damper in your detailing endeavors, not to mention your personal life and pocket book. Safety is no accident.
    (This Public Service Announcement on Platform Safety brought to you by Captain Obvious, who wishes no harm befalls (pun intended!) fellow Autopians and guest viewers)
    GB detailer
    Likes 65chevy, Fishing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That`s really good advice, Lonnie, especially since most of us have not gotten any younger since joining here.
    Likes 65chevy, tom p., Fishing liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information