Post Thanks / Like

Hand foam pad to use with Blackfire`s One Step for application/polishing?

I have several layers of Blackfire`s Wet Diamond and Crystal Clear on my 2019 G70. Very recently, I applied a layer of System X Renew ceramic spray over existing layers. Always by hand. Results were not as expected. Water beads like crazy, but there is absolutely no sheeting. The beads just remain in place until dried out...not too good for car`s surface here in the Florida sun. I am 85 and my days of obsessive detailing are gone; that is I`ve become quite lazy. So, I`m looking for an easy way out. My thought is to use BF`s all in one One Step with a hand polishing foam pad followed by their Si02 spray as I understand that polishing will remove the layered stuff. I`d like to know what kind of safe (will not ruin clear coat) foam hand pad is should get? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hand foam pad to use with Blackfire`s One Step for application/polishing?

Before you polish everything off, what about trying your preferred Blackfire LSP`s on top of what you have and see if that restores the sheeting performance you are looking for?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Before you polish everything off, what about trying your preferred Blackfire LSP`s on top of what you have and see if that restores the sheeting performance you are looking for?
    I was thinking about that. But, aren`t these products supposed to bond to the paint/clearcoat? So, if this thought is correct, then the Si02 may not bond well, or at all??? I was also thinking that maybe I should first try an alcohol wipe on a small section and see if the water beads will easily run off. And if they do, I may then topcoat with either the crystal Seal or the Si02????

Post Thanks / Like

As I have mentioned some other times, I think the accepted wisdom for how/why beading behavior changes, and how easily or not easily products are removed, are not based in reality.

Without going into a long story, back in the old days when you would apply a "wax" and then the beading would drop off after a few weeks, and you presumed the LSP was "dead", or say after a Dawn wash, the reality may have been the LSP was "clogged" by the wash. I don`t feel like finding and linking the threads, but the point is when you prepped your waxed car for Zaino by doing a "strip" wash with Dawn to get a pristine surface, that "pristine" surface was in reality likely your old LSP topped by a layer of Dawn sheeting polymers (to keep your dishes from getting water spots), which you then applied your Zaino on top of.

So I would encourage you to do an IPA wipe, or just apply your favorite LSP, and if your sheeting comes back, call it a day.

Ok, I lied, here`s the threads:

LSP stripping

Sealant Test: PowerLock (+/-) BlackHole, Wolfgang DGPS, & BlackFire WD

Post Thanks / Like

As I have mentioned some other times, I think the accepted wisdom for how/why beading behavior changes, and how easily or not easily products are removed, are not based in reality.

Without going into a long story, back in the old days when you would apply a "wax" and then the beading would drop off after a few weeks, and you presumed the LSP was "dead", or say after a Dawn wash, the reality may have been the LSP was "clogged" by the wash. I don`t feel like finding and linking the threads, but the point is when you prepped your waxed car for Zaino by doing a "strip" wash with Dawn to get a pristine surface, that "pristine" surface was in reality likely your old LSP topped by a layer of Dawn sheeting polymers (to keep your dishes from getting water spots), which you then applied your Zaino on top of.

So I would encourage you to do an IPA wipe, or just apply your favorite LSP, and if your sheeting comes back, call it a day.

Ok, I lied, here`s the threads:

LSP stripping

Sealant Test: PowerLock (+/-) BlackHole, Wolfgang DGPS, & BlackFire WD
    Hi, Astronomy, just an interesting note. I came to Florida 23 years ago when I retired. I came out of Englishtown and many years ago, I became a Zaino user. Used to use Dawn, clay and Zaino in the old day, but never realized that Dawn really didn`t take off much. However, I did switch to Blackfire Wet Diamond/Crystal Clear on a new cars when I retired...and was quite happy with the results. A month or two ago, I top coated with System X Renew spray with hopes of getting a glossier finish and increased protection. However, the water beads that do not run off have made my choice of the Renew top coat a very bad idea. My cars need to sheet the water and not allow beads of water to remain in the hot Florida sun...thus my attempts to get back to sheeting water. But, I have to admit that being 85, I am looking for a "working" easy way out.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m a bit north of Englishtown, but I have a friend who lives down the street from "the" Englishtown, the flea market.

Post Thanks / Like

I have fond memories of the car show at Englishtown.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, you do know they shut down Raceway Park? They are still doing something over there, but no more drag racing.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec, what a shame. Things are never going to be the same over there then.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that where they had the car show? They are still doing stuff there: ENGLISHTOWN RACEWAY PARK

I think it was the noise from the drags that bothered the more gentrified neighbors, and perhaps the liability insurance.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m glad to see they still have shows there. That was the location of some of the very first shows I attended. I sure wish there were shows closer to my area. We only have Daytona to look forward to.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to threadjack you, Flycaster.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to threadjack you, Flycaster.
    Hey, not a problem. We lived about a mile out of E-town. Spent many a Sunday at the auction. In fact, my wife had a beauty supply store there for many years. And as for Raceway Park, the drag strip noise was bearable, but the traffic the races brought were a PITA. Lived there for 32 years before coming to FL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flycaster View Post
    Hey, not a problem. We lived about a mile out of E-town. Spent many a Sunday at the auction. In fact, my wife had a beauty supply store there for many years. And as for Raceway Park, the drag strip noise was bearable, but the traffic the races brought were a PITA. Lived there for 32 years before coming to FL.
    They had fatal crashes there in 2008 and 2010: Crash at Old Bridge raceway kills driver, N.J. State Police say - nj.com

Drag racing ended in 2018: After 53 years burning rubber, drag racing ends at Raceway Park - nj.com

A lot of McMansions in the E-Town area now, I`m guessing they didn`t like the noise, but probably the insurance killed it. My friend lives about a mile away, you could clearly hear the drag cars inside the house on the weekends.

Thread Information