Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Wash method or soap?

Car detailing forum

I`m 55 and recently getting back into car detailing for my personal cars. A long long time ago I used to polish and buff with a rotary.

I am having a problem with any type of wax or sealant. The car only beads up or sheads water after a few weeks after application but this only happens on the rocker panels (below the door handles) and the vehicle rear bumper and license plate area. All other areas are else beads up fine roof, front, hood, top of trunk. This happens on all my vehicles 2016 Highlander, 2013 Altima, 2022 Accord.

I prep the surface by claying & polish before application of wax or sealant.

This mostly/only happens after the vehicle is driven in the rain. Sometimes it rains so often here the car could go a couple weeks before it makes sense to wash again. Central NY weather.

I wash with a foam cannon and wash mitt.
    1 Foam cannon
    2 soak few min
    3 wash mittt
    4 rinse

I use meguiars Polish and clay.
    I use meguiars gold class for soap.
    I tried meguiars, turtle wax, collinite products for wax or sealants.

I assume I am doing something really wrong because I never see anyone post about this.

My assumption is that the soap or method of washing is not harsh enough and the rockers are not getting cleaned enough.

It`s still very cold here so I won`t be able to try new methods or product for a couple of months. I just looking for some advice on what to do next. Any advice would be appreciated. Looking for something that won`t strip wax.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wash method or soap?

I`m no fan of GC soap. I ditched it long ago for many other brands. Currently I use 3D Pink Soap. I plan to give Meguiars Hyper Wash a shot next.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

If the rockers are textured it won`t bead as well.

Post Thanks / Like

How much soap are you using? I personally don`t like GC soap. You might want to try a different soap and see if you get the same results.

I use Gyeon Bathe now but I also like CarPro Reset Car Wash, Griots Car Wash, PoorBoys World Super Slick & Suds and Optimum Car Wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pettinej View Post
    Car detailing forum

I`m 55 and recently getting back into car detailing for my personal cars. A long long time ago I used to polish and buff with a rotary.

I am having a problem with any type of wax or sealant. The car only beads up or sheads water after a few weeks after application but this only happens on the rocker panels (below the door handles) and the vehicle rear bumper and license plate area. All other areas are else beads up fine roof, front, hood, top of trunk. This happens on all my vehicles 2016 Highlander, 2013 Altima, 2022 Accord.

I prep the surface by claying & polish before application of wax or sealant.

This mostly/only happens after the vehicle is driven in the rain. Sometimes it rains so often here the car could go a couple weeks before it makes sense to wash again. Central NY weather.
    You answered your own question and didn`t even know it. The areas you mentioned that don`t bead water as well AFTER several instances of extended drives in the rain, are because those are HIGH WEAR areas. Your tires forcefully spray those area with water, dirt and debris while you drive. This is comparable to using a pressure washer with dirt and chemical contaminated water (almost like a light sandblasting wash with heavy chemicals) and whatever "wax" you use in those areas WILL wear very quickly and fail long before the other "unblasted" areas.

I`m in NE Ohio, and I experience a very similar issue.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

discard gold class and replace it with a ph neutral as Fskof gave you good alternatives.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    You answered your own question and didn`t even know it. The areas you mentioned that don`t bead water as well AFTER several instances of extended drives in the rain, are because those are HIGH WEAR areas. Your tires forcefully spray those area with water, dirt and debris while you drive. This is comparable to using a pressure washer with dirt and chemical contaminated water (almost like a light sandblasting wash with heavy chemicals) and whatever "wax" you use in those areas WILL wear very quickly and fail long before the other "unblasted" areas.

I`m in NE Ohio, and I experience a very similar issue.
    I do agree with you. It happens after a 30 mile drive in summer rain. I would not expect it to be gone after such a short drive. I appreciate the responses and will respond back. I am probably going to try meguiars hyper wash first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fskof View Post
    How much soap are you using? I personally don`t like GC soap. You might want to try a different soap and see if you get the same results.

I use Gyeon Bathe now but I also like CarPro Reset Car Wash, Griots Car Wash, PoorBoys World Super Slick & Suds and Optimum Car Wash.
    I follow directions on bottle. 5 to 1 ratio for foam cannon.

Post Thanks / Like

I do agree with you. It happens after a 30 mile drive in summer rain. I would not expect it to be gone after such a short drive. I appreciate the responses and will respond back. I am probably going to try meguiars hyper wash first.

Why are you sticking with Meguiars products?

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars HyperWash is a good choice....it can now be found at Harbor Freight at a very good price.
    Likes Coatings=crack, tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That`s where I plan to buy it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fskof View Post
    Why are you sticking with Meguiars products?
    That is a very good question. I can buy cheap at harbor freight and I guess I am reluctant to try something very different. I hear carpro reset is good. Haven`t read much about the others you suggested. I haven`t ordered anything yet so maybe you gave me motivation to try something different.

Post Thanks / Like

I can attest to the Meguiar`s Hyper-Wash, I`ve used it for over 10 years, a little goes a LONG way and I have had NO soap-related problems. **A little going a long way,** by MY definition, is that a gallon bottle can last ME up to almost THREE YEARS. And *I* wash my car A LOT (weekly!), or more sometimes, plus the other cars I wash.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

It’s going to last me a lot less than that because I wash with a foam gun using Accumulator’s method but I’m fine with that

Post Thanks / Like

Might also be a build up of traffic film. Try an Alklaline or acidic soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information