Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wash method or soap?

Petinej- Welcome to Autopia!

I too think you oughta consider a better shampoo (another vote for 3D Pink) and also a more durable LSP (e.g., FK1000P). I`d go nuts if I had to do anything except wash for months on end, even in the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Might also be a build up of traffic film. Try an Alklaline or acidic soap.
    My thought as well. It may not be gone, just covered up. Carpro Reset would be an option as well.
    Likes Coatings=crack, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Petinej- Welcome to Autopia!

I too think you oughta consider a better shampoo (another vote for 3D Pink) and also a more durable LSP (e.g., FK1000P). I`d go nuts if I had to do anything except wash for months on end, even in the winter.
    Thanks for the warm welcome! This place is awesome. I was on my way to trying other LSP but found that nothing survived below the door handles for very long 1-2 weeks. I figured that it was the soap or process I was doing. I know this is a tough question to ask but what soap would do best at removing road grime without hurting a conventional wax or sealant? Carpro reset says safe for coatings but says nothing about wax. Maybe because they don`t sell wax?
    I got motivated and used up the last of meguiars GC yesterday as it was above freezing. So I am ready to purchase.

What I was thinking about is using a product to put on the grimey parts and then wash the car normally after that. But really don`t want to make things to complicated. I got 4 cars to wash on a regular basis until the kids move out.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pettinej View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome! This place is awesome. I was on my way to trying other LSP but found that nothing survived below the door handles for very long 1-2 weeks. I figured that it was the soap or process I was doing. I know this is a tough question to ask but what soap would do best at removing road grime without hurting a conventional wax or sealant? Carpro reset says safe for coatings but says nothing about wax. Maybe because they don`t sell wax?
    I got motivated and used up the last of meguiars GC yesterday as it was above freezing. So I am ready to purchase.

What I was thinking about is using a product to put on the grimey parts and then wash the car normally after that. But really don`t want to make things to complicated. I got 4 cars to wash on a regular basis until the kids move out.

Reset is your best bet although I read somewhere the said it could hurt waxes. Problem is I would think anything that affects traffic film is gonna affect a wax.

Just the name of the game if you wanna keep using waxes. Maybe try a coating or sealant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I was on my way to trying other LSP but found that nothing survived below the door handles for very long 1-2 weeks. I figured that it was the soap or process I was doing. I know this is a tough question to ask but what soap would do best at removing road grime without hurting a conventional wax or sealant?
    Sorry for the late reply

While some cars/paints/panels just don`t stay waxed (e.g. the rear bumpercover of my wife`s A8), I can usually get many months out of the FK1000P (which I`ve never tried on her car). Washing with the 3D Pink, or Griot`s (regular) Car Wash, or my preferred 50:50 mix of the two, has basically zero effedt on the FK. As in, I`ll wash over and over and over without having to rewax.

With all those cars to keep nice, the FK1000P and those shampoos are what I`d do/recommend since I basically don`t do coatings. That approach works so well that I don`t believe I`m missing much by skipping the coatings either (and yeah, I`ve used them before so it`s an informed opinion). Easy for me to spend your money for you, but a tin of wax and a jug of shampoo or two strikes me as a pretty low-cost option to try out, and I really am confident that you`d be happy. (Hey, if you try `em and you`re *NOT* happy, let me know.)
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. After a knee surgery a couple of weeks ago I bought 3D pink and love it. I, like you, have tried other non wax products and haven`t seen great results. I appreciate your help and letting us know what you use. I have used collinite 30 years ago, I grew up about 5 miles from the plant. I have tried a very old bottle and it seems to out protect the other things I have tried. Honestly I have one more product to try because I already purchased it over the winter. When that is done so am I. Well for now.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. After a knee surgery a couple of weeks ago I bought 3D pink and love it. I, like you, have tried other non wax products and haven`t seen great results. I appreciate your help and letting us know what you use. I have used collinite 30 years ago, I grew up about 5 miles from the plant. I have tried a very old bottle and it seems to out protect the other things I have tried. Honestly I have one more product to try because I already purchased it over the winter. When that is done so am I. Well for now.

Ah glad the Pink is working out OK for you (and that the knee surgery apparently went OK too).

Before latching onto the Fk1000P, I was *all* about the Collinites You won`t go wrong with their waxes, which are the only ones that anybody here has had outlast the FK (different people just get different results I guess).

That`s neat that you were so close to their facilities! Note that their 845 Insulator Wax can be great on exterior trim as well as paint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information