Post Thanks / Like

Garage queen w/ mostly single stage paint

I have a `61 Caddy Fleetwood garage queen with 27k miles and mostly original lacquer paint, although I recently had some paintwork done on a door that had been repainted back in the day in a lacquer that did not quite match (not all blacks are the same). The match is great, but was done in 2 stage paint. Going through this process I`ve also learned that there are a couple of other places on the car that have been repainted using two stage paint. My paint regimen until now, which I inherited from the previous owner, who won senior awards at the national level (AACA etc) with the car has been an annual M7 treatment, followed by a non-abrasive commercial product called Ever-Glaze, sold through a detailing distributor in PA, topped with Souveran. Prior to shows or cruises, I`ll wipe down w/ Pinnacle QD, and add a fresh coat of Souveran a couple of times during the year.

My question with whether I should alter this regimen on those areas with 2-stage paint. I haven`t noticed any issues in terms of using the M7 on the areas that I now know are repainted, but it seems like M7 would not be the best choice for those areas. OTOH, I`m concerned about uniformity of the shine if I use another product on those areas. I have often wondered whether the second glaze was redundant, as M7 is also a glaze, as well. Perhaps the PO adopted this approach in order to ensure uniformity; feed the lacquer with M7 and then use the second glaze on top of it to "tie the shine together"? I`ll be detailing the car shortly for the first time since having the door repainted, so I`d like to do the best thing for the virgin paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage queen w/ mostly single stage paint

How long ago was the repaint?

As for M7, it`s fine on two stage paint. I used it for extra gloss before I knew better. Wanted to feed my paint lol....

Post Thanks / Like

The paintwork was completed in early June.

Post Thanks / Like

Should be fully cured by now, especially if it’s seen some sun. M7 will do no harm.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Yes, I`ve had it out some; I try to run my metal mistresses at least 1x a week. I`ve purposely been waiting a couple of months for curing before installing door edge trim.
    Likes Dan liked this post

Thread Information