Post Thanks / Like

How often do you wash exterior and interior?

What’s the balance of obsessed, and practical?

wash once a week? What if it rains? Do you wash on rain day to keep a schedule, or do you wait? How long do you wait? It’s always gonna rain so the extreme is to never wash.

my interiors get steamed once a year and dressed with 303. Other than that when I see dust, I do a quick wipe with onr 256:1. Windows are done each exterior wash.

exterior my goal is once a week even if the car is clean (rindless wash to wipe off dust). I use a spray wax or beadmaker each wash.

if it’s raining I’ll do a quick interior wipe and touch up glass. I’ll still wash if raining and I know I’m not going anywhere for a few days.

vehicles are garaged and I can wash in them.

on one hand I hate washing and it rains the next day but I also like clean.

thoughts?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How often do you wash exterior and interior?

It all depends on the tolerance I/you/we have for dust, dirt, etc., on/inside the vehicle...

Certainly, the Less you touch the paint with anything, the Less opportunity to do something to your clearcoat that may/will require correction...
    Since I moved out into the Farmland, there is so many more things to hit the vehicle no matter what... It may be worse than rain, no, take it back, it IS worse than rain.. They never sleep, they are out at night, they may even be out in the rain...

We all like/love a really clean ride, I get it... Perhaps, it was much easier to go do it every week, etc., when we were younger??? And now, maybe not so easy...

My personal process is to first really get them really clean, coat the outside, keep up on the inside as needed... It will always take more keeping up if there are multiple passengers with all their baggage, sharp things in pockets, etc., than any other time... So you have to adjust for that = do all the above more times if you feel the need to...or not...

I believe, that if the outside paint is really flat, clear, and glossy, it will still look great even with a layer of dirt, etc., in most cases, and one can then decide when it`s time to bring the clarity out to blinding in the sun again, or wait a little longer..

Hate dirty dashboard, gauges, dust on steering column, fingerprints, etc., so if I keep up with that a little more, it tends to stay that way longer...

But, as you say, once a special time on the calendar, have to get the tools out and for me, extract the carpets if you want it really clean and clean smelling again...

I am so glad I learned as a child that this is the way we do it, and it made me really happy to do it!!!

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I wash once per week or ever 5 days or so. I`ll go as long as 2 weeks if it`s mostly dry during that time. Interior I keep up with ever few days, so it never gets dirty. Same with engine bay.

Post Thanks / Like

Once every weekend here. In the spring/summer anyway. Till the weather turns.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

My car sits outside so I wash it twice a week, and inside once a week.

Post Thanks / Like

How often do you wash exterior and interior?

Once a week most times. I don’t let the sickness take over life tho. If I got ```` to do on days off will let go 2-3 weeks if not doing anything car hobby related.

Interior just when it gets dusty. I use interior QD’s and use Gyeon LeatherCoaat on leather and BF L&V coating on dash and door panels quarterly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Exterior is usually every few week nothing set in stone. Interior every couple months

Post Thanks / Like

More of my Autopian Heresy: these days I just do `em when I think they need it. No more weekly (let alone "every time I drive it..") Detailing for me; I have other stuff to prioritize, so I`ve adapted the "Life is not a car show" mentality

But then again...every time I take a dog anywhere, which is pretty often, much of the interior gets a quick redo. And I`m still doing the windshields whenever they`re not perfect. And I still keep the undercarriages/engine compartments as close to concours-level as older street-driven vehicles can be if only so I can spot any issues right away. What with COVID, we`re not using them nearly as much as we used to, and if the weather`s bad we can usually just stay home, so they don`t really need much these days.

Thread Information