Post Thanks / Like

Lower use Daily Driver-need lsp suggestions

I just got a new dd, a 2021 gli in pure gray. Which is a non metallic gray.

while the car is technically my daily driver, it will see more limited use, as I work at home about 80-90 percent of the time. I polished it and applied 303 graphene when I got it a few weeks ago. I topped that with turtle wax graphene paste wax. It looks good overall, and will get a more complete polishing when the weather gets better.

as I was thinking over the weekend, durability isn’t quite as important as it has been in the past, since there are times the car will sit for 3-4 days at a time, and it will see limited winter duty.

my thought is that I can go with an lsp that has a bit more beauty with less durability being the trade off.

that being said, I would like decent durability, ease of use, and preferably something that has a compatible drying aid. So….any thoughts/suggestions? Anything is greatly appreciated.
    2021 VW GLI Autobahn

Pure Gray/Black

Protected by 303 Graphene

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lower use Daily Driver-need lsp suggestions

You could use something as easy to apply as Opti Gloss-Coat. While I know it is technically a coating based on my use I think of it more as a long term sealant. This would give you a little better winter durability and protection vs other regular sealants.

One nice thing then with
    Gloss-Coat is that I use Opti Car Wax as a drying aid topper or any of my other normal detail sprays.

I also really like Gyeon CanCoat as well.

If you really want to keep it simple and use a regular sealant I had moved on to a lot of the WOWA sealants like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal becasue they were quick and easy and I had even used them as a post wash drying aid type application.

Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    You could use something as easy to apply as Opti Gloss-Coat. While I know it is technically a coating based on my use I think of it more as a long term sealant. This would give you a little better winter durability and protection vs other regular sealants.

One nice thing then with
    Gloss-Coat is that I use Opti Car Wax as a drying aid topper or any of my other normal detail sprays.

I also really like Gyeon CanCoat as well.

If you really want to keep it simple and use a regular sealant I had moved on to a lot of the WOWA sealants like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal becasue they were quick and easy and I had even used them as a post wash drying aid type application.

thank you!
    2021 VW GLI Autobahn

Pure Gray/Black

Post Thanks / Like

Duragloss 111 or 105 has been a long time favorite

Post Thanks / Like

I was really impressed by Wolfgang`s SiO2 Paint Sealant. Looks really good, has a few coating characteristics through most of it`s lifespan, and is really easy to apply. I found Wolfgang`s SiO2 detailer to work pretty well too, but never tried them together since I got the detailer long after I used the sealant.

If I was to go a true beauty LSP I`d go with a carnauba wax. Something about the wad look I really like, but the short durability just doesn`t make it practical for me.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Duragloss 111 or 105 are great

Post Thanks / Like

A few random thoughts from a guy whose vehicles seem to *all* be limited-use Dailies:

-Besides durability, I`d give thought to *protection* as I hate getting my paint etched as much as I hate having to immediately deal with [stuff that etches]. So I quit using some LSPs that I really* liked just because I needed something that`d stand up to bugs/birds.

-Sometimes a "really durable, like...more durable that I need" LSP also has the exact right look on a given vehicle, win-win IMO.

-Other times, something as simple as a SprayWax is, for one reason or another, just perfect. Heh heh, those cases always surprise me, but I don`t look a gift horse in the mouth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    A few random thoughts from a guy whose vehicles seem to *all* be limited-use Dailies:

-Besides durability, I`d give thought to *protection* as I hate getting my paint etched as much as I hate having to immediately deal with [stuff that etches]. So I quit using some LSPs that I really* liked just because I needed something that`d stand up to bugs/birds.

-Sometimes a "really durable, like...more durable that I need" LSP also has the exact right look on a given vehicle, win-win IMO.

-Other times, something as simple as a SprayWax is, for one reason or another, just perfect. Heh heh, those cases always surprise me, but I don`t look a gift horse in the mouth.
    great points, as always. Beginning to wonder if fk1000p would look good on this color. However, I do like the way the 303 graphene performs and looks this far. Plus it’s stupid easy with no crazy prep needed.
    2021 VW GLI Autobahn

Pure Gray/Black

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by imported_OneQuickGT1 View Post
    great points, as always. Beginning to wonder if fk1000p would look good on this color. However, I do like the way the 303 graphene performs and looks this far. Plus it’s stupid easy with no crazy prep needed.
    I`ve been using the 303 Graphine on my car for about a year now and really like it. I also have a few bottles of TW Ceramic and the TW Graphene. I "wax" my car very frequently so durability is not as much of a factor in my case. This summer, I will probably alternate between the 303 and the TW (weekly or every two weeks) just to use up my stock. Which isn`t going to be easy to do because it doesn`t take much of any of the products to completely coat my Camaro...usually an ounce or two will coat the entire car.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

One of the glossier LSP for gray that I`ve seen is Ultima Paint Guard Plus.

Its a Wipe On Walk Away sealant.

I have used FK1000P in my gray van and it looked good, but its just not as user friendly as other products out there.

Sonus Ion could be a really good option. Its got one of the very easiest to buff off that I`ve ever experienced.

Post Thanks / Like

My vote goes to optimum spray wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee View Post

appealing. Thinking about the new opti seal topped with ocw.
    2021 VW GLI Autobahn

Pure Gray/Black

Likes CleanIt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I do want to try opti-seal. That’s one of optimum’s products I haven’t tried yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
    I`m *still* using that, all by itself, on my wife`s A8. Quick and easy, looks great.

SO...I can`t very well criticize the idea now can I?!? But OK...I will anyhow Same concern I mentioned before:

It sure doesn`t protect against etching IME, and that can be a heartbreaker in those worst-case situations that only seem to happen to the cars we really care about.

Thread Information