Post Thanks / Like

I messed up large- can this be fixed or repaint only ?

I cannot believe what I just did. My own fault and no one else’s.

I burnt thru the paint on the edge of my fender on my 8,000 mile C6 Z06. FML.

It is small and on the inside edge of the lip.

My question is if this fix is possible with someone using an airbrush at a body shop or a complete repaint of the fender ?

I am beyond pissed right now and feel sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I messed up large- can this be fixed or repaint only ?

I`m so sorry. My opinion is simply that it will need a respray, perhaps the whole fender. Talk to the body shops that your dealer uses and trusts. Great painters can match this as if it never happens and only you will remember it.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Ron Ketcham liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That stink I think dabbing some touch up on there would make it more notice able. Since it’s a awesome car I think Gearhead is right.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I found a shop that’s going to fix it in the spring. He says they will remove the factory clear. Keep the base the same and just add paint to the spot where I destroyed it. So there will be no issues of it not matching.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to see that. Mind if I ask what happened so others can learn from your mistake. Thank you.

David

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this your car or a customer`s car? If yours, you could try to airbrush it with clear and blend it with Transtar Melt Away. Might work, might not. Probably worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s my car. I got greedy trying to remove hair line scratches and burnt two spots on the edges.

I found a very reputable shop that does expensive vehicles and a load of custom works. Here is their response after viewing the pics:

“Hi Marko, there may be a light chance we could perform a blow in repair however I would expect that the whole fender would need to be sprayed. Blend the colour over the repair and clear coat the whole panel.”

Likes dgage, Ron Ketcham liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear/see this.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Striker:
    While I am sorry that this had to happen to you and your Corvette, I would ask what compound, pad, and polishing machine were you using at the time? I guess it adds insult to injury to ask this question and I am not trying to embarrass you. My intent is to learn what exactly what happened. If you don`t want to answer, I understand.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing out of the ordinary fellas.

I got greedy trying to remove a series of hair line scratches located right at the fender edge where paint is the thinnest.

I used my rotary that I’ve used for over a decade. An orange pad with m105. Then Menz 2500.

Lesson learned.

To add “light” to my ```` situation, the fender will retain most of its original base and will be re cleared. So therefore a mismatch won’t occur.

Secondly, I will no longer have the scratches on the fenders as mentioned and finally, since the bumper is coming off, I will have this repainted as well as the previous owner kissed a curb and caused a small rash right in the middle.

Likes dgage, Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    Nothing out of the ordinary fellas.

I got greedy trying to remove a series of hair line scratches located right at the fender edge where paint is the thinnest.

I used my rotary that I’ve used for over a decade. An orange pad with m105. Then Menz 2500.

Lesson learned.

To add “light” to my ```` situation, the fender will retain most of its original base and will be re cleared. So therefore a mismatch won’t occur.

Secondly, I will no longer have the scratches on the fenders as mentioned and finally, since the bumper is coming off, I will have this repainted as well as the previous owner kissed a curb and caused a small rash right in the middle.
    Stricker:
    Thanks for answering my questions.
    IF there is any silver lining behind this mishap, it`s that you learned that edges can (and do) have thin paint thickness.
    The other is that some of your Corvette paint imperfections will now be corrected, albeit at the difficult expense to your pocketbook and detailing pride.

I applaud you for taking care of this visual appearance and spending the time, money, and effort to do so. I know plenty of vehicles owners would just live with this burn-through and as my father often said in his Redneck impersonation voice of minor vehicle scrapes and dents, "It don`t hurt the runnin` of it none!" That said, there is this sense of vehicle appearance that is an extension of our own personal character and persona. I like my vehicles to look good because they represent a financial outlay that I want to take care of and protect or at least prolong that monetary investment. Some question the inordinate time, effort, and money (to them anyway!) I spend detailing my vehicles to make them look like they do. It`s not a "vanity" thing for me, although it could be interpreted as a "pride in ownership" thing that boarders on obsession (Hey, they do not call Captain Obvious an Obsessive-Compulsive Detailer (OCD) for nothin`!). It`s a fine line sometimes between the two.

The point is that after your Corvette gets it paint fixed it represents an investment to improve it`s resale value, but also improves it`s appearance to you.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Well said and your dad is spot on I messed up large- can this be fixed or repaint only ? many of my own friends think I’m crazy and a few of them are the real deal red neck examples he mentions.

I paid a lot of money for this car last summer and I plan on keeping it for a while. Despite it have a mere 8,021 miles on the clock, it had a few small blemishes that drove me crazy - hence why I took on the hair line scratches with the rotary, which brought me to this situation.

The front bumper Center was also kissed by a curb causing rash that I touched up which will also now be completed.

My biggest concern is that it all goes back together like factory and that it matches proper.
    Likes RPPM, Lonnie liked this post

Thread Information