Post Thanks / Like

Machined wheels question.

I have a 2018 Lincoln MKC reserve. According to the window sticker the wheels are "bright machined wheels". When I searched online I found them for sale where it said Aluminum polished hyper. So, I am confused somewhat and really just needing to know what`s safe to clean them with. I have been using Meguiar`s ultimate wheel cleaner which works well. Is this safe. Also is there a polish, coating for these?Machined wheels question.-fb_img_1628385567812.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Machined wheels question.

The factory (OEM) wheels are coated and only require normal cleaning, polishing may normally be done with any auto polish, and a coating of a quality paste wax is good protection. As far as the aftermarket wheels, not farmilar with them.

"Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes frenchrl14 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Factory wheels are generally clear coated. Meaning treat them like paint so you can use a polish and the coating of choice. Don`t forget the prep is key with the longevity of a coating. Meguiar`s ultimate wheel cleaner is safe on all wheel finishes per Meguiar`s.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the feedback. I assumed they were coated but didn`t see it mentioned anywhere. Didn`t want to be wrong and mess something up.

Post Thanks / Like

I would ask a Lincoln dealer, but I must concur with the others that they are most likely clear coated.
    And, yes, Meg`s Ultimate Wheel Cleaner is OK to use on them to clean them.
    As far as detaiing equipment to clean them with, I find the that the E-Z Detail Mini-Brush (stressing Mini!) is a good brush to use. It`s smaller size and shorter bristles fit between the rim spokes and do not splash/throw back wheel cleaner like its larger brother.
    Many like Wheel Woolies better and they make them in three (3) different sizes, so you can pick one that , again, fits your wheel spokes.
    I also see that Detail Factory makes a "brush" with a removable microfiber cover/sleeve that might appeal to you.

I would also recommend a wheel cleaning pad. I found one made by Hopkins Manufacturing Corp., Carson CA called the Auto Spa Microfiber Max Tight Spot Mitt. It`s triangular in shape, has finger pockets in it and one side is a noodle microfiber while the other side is a textured bug-like mesh. Works REALLY well for getting behind rim spokes that the E-Z mini brush does not reach or scrubbing with the textured side to remove stubborn baked-on brake dust on neglected rims. I doubt that you have that problem on your Lincoln MKC, unless the previous owner never cleaned them and was heavy braker , like in hilly/mountainous areas or a lead-footed driver/street racer.

As others have suggested, wax/seal/coat them on a yearly basis at least, OR more often if you drive alot of miles or brake a lot in stop-and-go traffic or live in hilly/mountainous areas where you need to use your brakes often. Yes, there are wheel/rim-specific waxes and coatings, but even the same wax/sealant/coating (commonly referred to here in this Autopia forum as a LSP, or Last-Step Product) that you prefer for your paint can be used on your rims. Something is better than nothing. One other piece pf advice is if you are not so inclined to remove the wheel and tire from the spindle to apply your LSP, you may need to get down on the ground and reach behind the tire to get to the backside of the rim to apply and wipe off the LSP. Also you may need to roll the MKC ahead to get to the area covered up by the disk brake caliper that is just too tight to reach between the rim surface and the caliper. And watch out for the Tire-Pressure Sensor (TPS, which I assume is standard equipment on your MKC) that you do not bump it too hard and knock it off its mounting position on the rim surface. Yes, it`s a lot of work and body contortion and hand reaching, but it is one of those detailing tasks that Obsessive-Compulsive Detailers (referred to as OCDer`s) do to their own vehicles. You`ve probably seen a lot of vehicles on the road with neglected wheels/rims that look dirty or the paint/clear coat is starting to peel off the rim material or looks corroded. Cleaning and protecting rims on a regular basis can really enhance the appearance and value of your MKC, especially if you plan on keeping and driving it for a while.

By the way, the Lincoln MKC is a very nice luxury SUV, especially being the Reserve model! How did you come to choose buying this particular vehicle??
    (Yes, my reputation as "Captain Obvious" is that I ask a lot of questions.)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie, wow, thanks for all the info!! I will probably use 845 on them then since that`s what i used on the MKC. On purchasing it...We had not planned on purchasing another car but the transmission went out on our 2012 focus and we thought it was under warranty, turns out it wasn`t. The dealer gave us 3k for it as is and we went in to get a 2021 escape. It was sold when we got there. Bummer, dealer brought out this 2018 mkc with only 32k on it, a lease turn in. It was in fantastic condition, someone took great care of it. We loved it and bought it. It`s our first SUV and Lincoln. I am more then pleased.

I have been bit by the detailing bug though, not a bad thing, well, if you ask my wife it might be. She says I now have a girlfriend and she`s expensive..lol.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

frenchrl14:
    Collinite 845 is a pretty durable wax and it`s not that expensive. Very good for rim protection and it`s easier to apply because of it being a liquid wax.
    If you like the look of 845 on your MKC White Pearl, try moving up to Collinite 915 Marque D`elegance Carnauba Paste Wax. About twice the price of 845, but it is a pretty nice-looking premium wax without the premium price of some of the other "beauty" waxes, like Pinnacle Souveran paste wax. The other characteristic I like is it lasts and has some durability. It`s pretty easy to apply; wipe on, wipe off (WOWO). It has been my go-to wax for many years on the vehicles that I have detailed in the past. That said , I think the general consensus within this forum is that waxes are old-school and out-of-date because they do NOT provide the exterior surface protection from environmental contaminates (bug guts, bird droppings, tree sap, acid rain) compared to today`s SiO2 sealants or graphene-infused sealants/waxes provide. I still prefer the "look" of a carnauba wax, BUT the SiO2 sprays REALLY bead up rain or washing rinse water and the water just rolls off when driven or blown with a dryer (mine`s a leaf blower) when washing a vehicle.

I also assume that your old 2012 Focus` transmission was one of those problematic and poorly designed PowerShift dual-clutch automatics. Good idea, poor execution on Ford`s part. There supposedly is a factory "fix" for it , so the dealer was not put off by the trade. Your trade-in value reflects that and I am sure you are just happy to get rid of it and move on to the 2018 Lincoln MKC.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll give the 915 a look. I have been reading on the other newer type waxes, just overwhelmed with the types. Plus you can only do so much with white paint, or so I assume. It`s a metallic white platinum paint and it does look nice. I would love a wetter look but I don`t think I`ll do much better then the 845 in terms of a wet shine look.

Yes, the Focus trade in reflected the broken tranny. The first dealer we talked with wanted nothing to do with us. The 2nd welcomed us with open arms and I think we both parted happy. They will undoubtedly make money on the Focus, it was in great shape and a nice care. We have a Fusion also and it`s a great car too. This is now our primary driver where the Fusion was before.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said, the Lincoln MKC Reserve is such a nice vehicle, even though it is used, BUT the brand-new 2021 Escape would have come with a new-car warranty and new-model designs/updates/features are hard to dismiss, especially advances in driver-assisted electronic safety features. Not sure what you had your heart set on when buying a vehicle OR if the MKC is a better choice in your opinion.

Sometimes things have a way of working out OR you just buy the next-best available vehicle.
    Also sounds like you are Blue Oval Fan, since you mentioned Focus, Fusion, and Escape and now own Ford`s luxury division Lincoln MKC!

And, just remind your wife that that this new detailing "girlfriend" has its benefits by protecting and enhancing the appearance of your Lincoln MKC investment. AND it`s a lot cheaper than golfing and you`ll probably be pursuing this new-found "girlfriend" (AKA hobby) at home, so she`ll know where you are! And because detailing can be physically demanding at times, you get a workout without having to go to the gym.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

For the first time I purchased the warranty thru Ford. So I have a 5 year or 60k mile warranty. It still ended up being cheaper then the escape. Granted the escape had some of the more advanced driving aids which I really didn`t care about. The biggie was, it was new, hopefully this mkc will be a good solid dependable car. I am thrilled with it so far. I wear hearing aids and road noise was always the worse, hearing in a car has always been difficult. This Lincoln is the first car I have zero trouble hearing in. It`s very quiet.

Post Thanks / Like

frenchrl14:
    We also bought an extended warranty through Ford when we bought our Certified Pre-Qwned (CPO) Taurus at an out-of-town Ford dealership.
    I think it was similar to yours, but here`s the thing. what MOST car buyers do not realize is that a 5-year warranty is REALLY only a 2-year extension of the OEM 3-year new car warranty that came with the car. It is NOT an additional 5-years added to the 3-year OEM new car warranty.
    There are some additional benefits with the extended warranty, like overnight lodging reimbursement costs if you are out-of-town somewhere, or no-cost rentals/loaner cars that might not apply to the OEM 3-year warranty.
    You also have a $100 deductible for each trip to the dealership shop if need be. We were told to "group" warranty-related problems, if possible, and make ONE trip for service. We did just that when the touch control screen went black and had problems with the B-pillar side trim with the touch-keypad being loose. The "fix" for the screen was a simple reboot of the electrical system (unhook the battery cable, let it sit for 10 minutes, and hook the battery cable back up) .and also replace the side trim. Paid the $100 deductible, BUT you never see the total bill what charges are taken care of by the warranty, so you never know if you are getting what you paid for. We really bought the warranty for the touch screen and all the electronics associated with today`s modern vehicles in case you ever had trouble with them.
    My sister-in-law works as a warranty claims processor for a dealership that has both Ford`s and Chrysler`s. One of the BIG problems today is obviously a shortage of key OEM replacement parts for all vehicles. Some new vehicle owners have waited 2-months for repairs to their vehicles because parts are not available. So they are driving a loaner for that time. NOT a good situation for both dealership and owner. Even having a comparable loaner vehicle available is difficult, especially those with trucks who use them for hauling or towing in a business or for towing a RV-trailer for vacation recreation.

Back to detailing. Since you stated you have been using Collinite 845 Insulator Wax for your Lincoln MKC, I am sure one of the things you are aware of with this wax is that it can become very thick, almost solid-like in the bottle and it is very difficult to shake up and mix it in that condition. One `trick" that I learned here in this forum from Autopian All-Star ScottWax is to take a long-shanked flat-tipped screwdriver and stir it with that in the bottle to mix it up and then shake it up vigorously to return it to its liquid state. The other tip is to let it still in the warm sun to "melt" it slightly and then shake it vigorously to get it back into its liquid state. On cool days, you can put a vehicle in the sun, and place the 845 bottle in front window and let the sun do its greenhouse-warming effect on the bottle. Another way to warm it is run it under hot water from a faucet until it liquefies slightly and then shake it vigorously. Either way works.
    AND watch out for that OEM cap on the bottle!!! This cap has the uncanny inability to tighten completely on the bottle threads for some reason. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, put your thumb over the top of the cap before vigorously shaking the bottle!!!! Yes, it has happened to me where the cap came off as I was shaking it and I slung 845 all over my detailing supplies.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

In our paper work it did say 5yr or 92k miles whichever us first. It has 32k on it. But regardless I bought for the same reason mostly electronics. Even If 3 years I still would have gotten it.

On my wife`s Focus the one we traded in they said it would be at least 3mo. Before they could repair it if we chose that option. It`s crazy. I did notice on the 845 that it became hard in the bottle. Appreciate the tip!

Post Thanks / Like

If anybody gets tired of redoing Collinite/etc. so frequently, well...[INSERT my usual fanboying about FK1000P]. It`s still working well enough that I haven`t reached for the still-unused coating I have on the shelf. And I think it`s absolutely perfect on white (and silver). The whole "can`t get those to pop" thing will be out the window if you get the paint perfectly (Finish-)polished and then LSPed with the FK.

OK, OK...yeah, I know y`all`ve heard it all from me many times before

Thread Information