Post Thanks / Like

Rewaxing garage queen w/ different wax

`60 Eldorado garage queen. Once a year it gets the full "Perfect Shine" treatment- KAIO + a couple of coats of SG, usually topped with Pinnacle Souverain. Detail spray and occasional fresh cots of the Souverain keeps it pretty pretty during the interim. But I recently moved, and forgot I was out of the Souverain a couple of days before a local show, so I went to local auto store and grabbed some Mothers carnauba paste to top off the job. Now its a few weeks later and a couple of bigger events are looming. Can I get away with just layering Souverain on top of what`s left of the Mothers, or should I do more to prepare the paint/strip off the old wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rewaxing garage queen w/ different wax

Sevillian:
    I would suggest using KAIO over the Mother`s that was recently applied, then apply, I assume, your newly acquired Souveran wax, since you said you had run out. I also assume that you are doing all of this BY HAND and not with a buffing machine and soft foam pads at low speeds.
    I suggest using the Klasse All-In-One because of the chemical cleaners in it and it might (emphasize MIGHT) remove any of the oils of the Mother`s Carnuaba wax you applied, so you have a clean car to apply the Souveran over. I don`t think the Klasse High-Gloss Sealant Glaze is needed, and I am trying to save you an application of product step, BUT you know "the look" your Caddy Eldo should have with the Perfect Shine treatment.
    OR try applying Souveran by itself to a test area, like a lower rear quarter panel and inspect it. Does it look THAT much better than nearby areas of the rear quarter panel that have the Mother`s wax you applied?? Again,you know what "the look" of Souveran wax should be like on your Caddy Eldo since you have used it before.

Now what to do with the Mother`s Carnauba wax you bought and I assume have some left over.
    I will assume that you use Souveran on the door and trunk jams and under the hood paint.
    Could you see yourself using the Mother`s in those areas and saving the Souveran for the visible exterior paint only??

OR, Here`s some uses for re-purposing carnauba waxes no longer being used that I post in another thread about that very question:

(Please do not laugh at some of them; remember I am "a seasoned detailer" with "experience")
    1) Snow-blower chutes and lawnmower under-decks to keep snow and wet grass from sticking, respectively.
    2) Slide rule inner log linear vernier (AKA, moving stick part) (Don`t ask what a slide rule is unless you are an engineer or mathematician)
    3) Kid`s bicycles (Good way to develop relationships with neighborhood young people, plus the bad ones do not egg your house at Halloween or in their later years in High School, at Homecoming time. Just sayin`...)
    4) Appliances (especially painted/powder coated refrigerators at holiday time; guests and family are dumbfounded with the shine)
    5) Wooden drawer slides or glides
    6) Driving in nails or screws in hardwoods (an old woodworker`s and carpenter`s trick)
    7) Air conditioner compressor housings or generator enclosures (service tech`s cannot believe what they see)
    8) Painted metal doors (especially white painted aluminum screen or outer doors)
    9) Wood doors edges that are tight in the frame (like those that swell in summer)
    10) Model metal car collections (S100 makes my unboxed 1/24-scale 911 Porsches ready for the holidays)
    11) Varnished wood acoustic guitars or colored lacquer electric guitars(Meg`s M16 was actually a preferred wax by some guitar makers)
    12) Metal or plastic playground slides (Use caution: taller slides can REALLY send small kids flying if adults are unaware of a "waxed" slide, as the kid becomes a small projectile that the adult may not catch or get knocked over with at the slide end)
    13) Toboggan or saucer bottoms (MUCH cheaper than ski wax)
    14) Snow shovels for wet snow OR Dirt shovels or spades for clay (Works REALLY well)
    15) Linoleum or tile floors for sliding across with wool socks on for the longest-distance slide "competitions" (OK, I did this as a kid and it was HIGHLY dangerous and frowned upon by my parents, not to mention the "difficulty" in removing with ammonia cleaners and elbow grease by said applicator!!)
    16) Bathroom porcelain sinks and toilets and fiberglass shower stalls (DO NOT do the toilet seat!! Women will slide off; NOT pretty especially if it is your Mom or significant other)
    17) Black leather shoes as an emergency shoe-polish substitute (Patten-leather REALLY likes M16)

As you can see, I have used carnauba waxes for a lot of "non-vehicle" applications, model cars and bikes as the exceptions.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

OP, I think you’re overthinking this. As you know, no “harm” will come from anything you’ve mentioned. So the real question is, will some other cheaper wax underneath your expensive wax be a deterrent to the “look” of your expensive wax. In my experience, carnaubas are not robust enough to layer, because the solvent effect of the topper causes blending at best, and at worst, vaporizes the underlying Wax.
    I think Souverain will look awesome on top of what’s left of the other wax.
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Some sorta-random thoughts follow:

I`d bet nobody really notices any LSP diffs IRL.

People here have cleaimed that Souveran has, unexpectedly, caused issues when applied over top of other waxes (as opposed to sealants). IIRC, it [messed] up Collinite.

I`ve never had any problems layering waxes but apparently others sometimes do, perhaps because of solvent action. If in doubt, just spit-shine to sidestep the potential problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, folks. I probably am overthinking it, as I tend to do with these kinds of issues. The car is looking pretty good, so I don`t really want to start from scratch with the AOI, particularly since I also need to start detailing my `61 Fleetwood with (very delicate) original paint, which is a whole different and very labor intensive regimen. I will try the Souveran in one spot and see if it helps/hurts the Mothers. I purposely made sure it was the straight carnauba stuff so as to hopefully avoid a wax conflict.

Lonnie has some pretty creative uses for the left over Mothers! I`ll probably just wind up using in the next time a friend or relative asked me to help sell a car. Although its tempting to try some on the big gold air cleaner on the Eldo`s factory tri-power.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sevillian View Post
    ... (very delicate) original paint...the big gold air cleaner on the Eldo`s factory tri-power.
    Aw man, you`re stoking my Cadillac Envy again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sevillian View Post
    `60 Eldorado garage queen. Once a year it gets the full "Perfect Shine" treatment- KAIO + a couple of coats of SG, usually topped with Pinnacle Souverain. Detail spray and occasional fresh cots of the Souverain keeps it pretty pretty during the interim. But I recently moved, and forgot I was out of the Souverain a couple of days before a local show, so I went to local auto store and grabbed some Mothers carnauba paste to top off the job. Now its a few weeks later and a couple of bigger events are looming. Can I get away with just layering Souverain on top of what`s left of the Mothers, or should I do more to prepare the paint/strip off the old wax?
    I loved the perfect shine combo I substituted p21 wax the other comments about kaio right over the top mother or just wash with dawn take care of it

Thread Information