Post Thanks / Like

Tips and tricks to coat SUV roof

Getting close to completing coating my wife’s Tuxedo Black Navigator L with CQUARTZ Lite - hope to get front bumper, rear bumper, no lift gate tomorrow. Then comes the biggest challenge... the roof.

I can walk short distances and stand for short times so I’m not always in my wheel chair but my helper will probably be helping with this part. Quite honestly, I haven’t even washed the roof at all in quite a while. Obviously, getting it coated will help with keeping it good so we will need to go through the whole procedure.

so what are any tips, tricks, and techniques to get the top of this beast clayed, deconned, polished, and coated?

TIA
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tips and tricks to coat SUV roof

Quick question: If the roof of the vehicle is difficult for you to regularly clean, why not just wrap it in PPF or colored vinyl? Your goal is protection, would wrapping it be more advantageous for you? I.e. spend less time worrying about damaging paint.
    Likes Stokdgs, Older liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

An idea is to look at those long, kind of wide, about 20 inches tall or more, aluminum folding platforms like the Werner AP20..

There may be some that are taller too, I just use this model and have had no vehicles so tall that I needed to get higher..

Here is a look at it from Home Depot - https://www.homedepot.com/p/WERNER-3...P-20/100662616

The people may remove my link, so just remember Werner AP 20 and search, and you should be able to see more kinds like this..

Whatever one you get if you decide, please think about putting some type of foam, or thick cloth all the way across the one side that will be up against a vehicle, so no one accidentally rubs this metal platform against your beautiful paintwork, ok ??
    DanF
    Likes Cadfael, bob m liked this post
    Thanks Cadfael thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadfael --
    As far as doing the paint correction, or just polish, because it is in great condition, it is always better to be above the roofline so you can look down on the top of it as best you can.
    And to have as great a set of lights as possible, so you can see as good as possible..

You can decide how much paint correction/polishing you want to do up there.. No one is going to see it either.. If it looks shiny and feels smooth, that is great..

I apply the coating starting as far as I can reach from the front side (right behind the front glass) and work down the vehicle to the back end.

I stand on the platform at the back end and work a section of it, and come back up the other side.

This is how I have done it for years..
    Good luck,
    Dan F
    Likes Cadfael liked this post

Thread Information