Post Thanks / Like

Swirls in paint or ????

Tip- see swirls a short time after applying your LSP?
    Don`t assume a cutting/compounding is necessary.
    Many times the issue is not the paint surface, but, light surface marring in the LSP.
    A quick, mild polishing, is often all that is required, which does not remove a portion of the important clear film build.
    So don`t be overly agressive.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes wannafbody, bob m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Swirls in paint or ????

Good advice Ron. When someone brings me a car that`s been swirled out by a body shop this is all that I typically do. They`ve already done enough compounding for the both of us
    Likes Ron Ketcham, bob m liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Micromarring can occur by removing the wax film with a MF. Of all the towels I`ve used, the suede style and terry style work best for me. I like woven for the interior and glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the very valuable observation, I have wondered about that a number of times. Car looks fine after polishing, then I saw very light swirls after applying and removing the sealant.
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I always get a laugh when those who see some swirls grab their compound and go at it, many not following up with a polish, then wonder why in a few days they have even more swirls and hazing.
    When in many cases just a polishing will resolve the concern and not damage/remove their clear coat.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

Ketch and I have gone over this one before

While I don`t for a second discount what he`s saying, that has *NEVER* been my experience *except* for once with heavily layered KSG. Other than that one time, I`ve always had to do some degree of abrasion to correct the issue.

But I still strip the marred area first just to make sure

And, But#2, reaching for a compound instead of a milder product isn`t that smart if the damage appears minor anyhow, so he and I are definitely of one mind there.
    Likes Ron Ketcham liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, I think it`s less of an issue for you because you use old school waxes like FK that probably result in a thicker layer than the newer spray sealants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Accumulator, I think it`s less of an issue for you because you use old school waxes like FK that probably result in a thicker layer than the newer spray sealants.
    The FK does not, in any way, make for a sufficiently thick/tough build-film to prevent marring Sure wish it did! And anyhow, the FK`ed ones aren`t any better/worse in this regard than my wife`s A8 with it`s OCW.

Good thinking, but, sigh....nah. Only reason my stuff stays OK is the [nutty] way I wash `em. ALTHOUGH, with regard to etchin you may well have a point! Back when I used other LSPs I did get etching that hasn`t been a problem with the FK (the A8, well...I try to keep nasty stuff off of it as best I can). It was weird how some LSPs, like UPP, were of *zero* protection against etching, man...it happened almost instantly with that one!

So for a barrier against marring, NOTHING except a thick gazillion layers of the KSG does it for me, well...except for maybe the Coatings I`ve used on wheels, but those were all [messed] up anyhow so I can`t tell about any (new) marring.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my TA painted last year. While waiting the 30 days before waxing, it was sitting in the driveway and got bird bombed. I found it later that afternoon when I got home. Used some rinseless wash and wadya know, the clearcoat was etched.

Post Thanks / Like

wannafbody-I remember that Still wonder whether some OCW on it might`ve prevented, or at least lessened, the damage.

Thread Information