Post Thanks / Like

Question G8 as my next tool?

Happy Monday! I posted this up at AG, but would like to hear the thoughts of the distinguished Autopians too! (Did I lay that on thick enough? )

I`m looking at a way to better polish small areas on vehicles and wondering about the effectiveness of various tools and wondering if the G8 will meet my needs.

I know it will make doing things like the curved areas on A/B/C/D pillars, side mirrors, various small surface design areas, and headlights much easier. However, I`m questioning the ability for the polisher to get into tight areas like the flat surfaces around air intakes below the front bumper. A typical DA polisher doesn`t get into those area very well not only because of the size of pad/throw, but also due to the size of the polisher itself. How does the G8 fair in those situations?

Now I have a G15, my HF DA polisher is in semi-retirement and available to use with a 3" backing plate, but I`m not sure it`s sized properly for work in small areas like the G8 will be.

I know many will say the Rupes Ibrid is the answer, but for as little use as it will get for me as a hobbyist, I can`t justify the cost.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G8 as my next tool?

SPTA has a much cheaper Ibird.

I really like my G8. I don`t think you will regret getting a 3 inch.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t own any griot`s tool but how small of an area are you referring to? Any photos?
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

If i hadn’t already bought an adams SK mini my 1st choice would be a Flex PXE. If i didn’t want to pat PXE money then yes I would get the g8.

I have a BOSS G15 and pairing it with the 3” has been wonderful.

Don’t know if i’d use the 2” attatchment but one is available for g8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I don`t own any griot`s tool but how small of an area are you referring to? Any photos?
    This isn`t my car, but the three large opening below the bumper is the area I`m talking about. I`ve encountered similar openings on other cars and had a similar issue with the polisher and/or pad being to big.

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    This isn`t my car, but the three large opening below the bumper is the area I`m talking about. I`ve encountered similar openings on other cars and had a similar issue with the polisher and/or pad being to big.

I don`t think you will be able to do the vertical pieces, below the bumper, with the 2 inch plate on the G8. I`m not totally sure. Micro polisher most likely there.

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to get most nooks and tight places on a 2016 mustang bumper with my 3”...... a 2” would be easier. I feel that if the griots won’t fix then the flex probably won’t fit either

I would get the g8 and if that doesn’t fit get a ibrid or Adam’s mini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

These areas look pretty tight. You may be able to get all of the polisher on the lower left and right area. Worst case is you have to hand polish.

I was like you at one point with the ibrid and it has paid for itself since I purchased it. i don`t do any type of hand polishing in smaller areas as long as the ibrid can get into it. There are alternative. Carbon Collective has one that looks ok. White Details has showed it on one of his recent videos.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the inputs everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    These areas look pretty tight. You may be able to get all of the polisher on the lower left and right area. Worst case is you have to hand polish.

I was like you at one point with the ibrid and it has paid for itself since I purchased it. i don`t do any type of hand polishing in smaller areas as long as the ibrid can get into it. There are alternative. Carbon Collective has one that looks ok. White Details has showed it on one of his recent videos.
    I`ll dig a little more on the Carbon Collective Nano tonight, but I can`t seem to find a US-based source. Plenty of places in the UK selling them, but the exchange rate and shipping would probably make it more than an Ibrid.

The Adams Swirl Killer Mini someone else mention looks interesting too, but I can`t tell from the pictures how tall the unit becomes based on whether your using the 3mm or 12mm throw attachment. The longer of the two doesn`t look all that smaller than the G8.

At this point I`m not sure I`d want to use an Ibrid sized tool for the larger, curvy areas that are better suited for the G8 and I`d probably get much more use out of it. In an ideal world if I had a business and was investing in tools, I`d have all three sized polishers. Sadly I just can`t justify that now. Decisions...decisions...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the inputs everyone!

I`ll dig a little more on the Carbon Collective Nano tonight, but I can`t seem to find a US-based source. Plenty of places in the UK selling them, but the exchange rate and shipping would probably make it more than an Ibrid.

The Adams Swirl Killer Mini someone else mention looks interesting too, but I can`t tell from the pictures how tall the unit becomes based on whether your using the 3mm or 12mm throw attachment. The longer of the two doesn`t look all that smaller than the G8.

At this point I`m not sure I`d want to use an Ibrid sized tool for the larger, curvy areas that are better suited for the G8 and I`d probably get much more use out of it. In an ideal world if I had a business and was investing in tools, I`d have all three sized polishers. Sadly I just can`t justify that now. Decisions...decisions...

Here ya go. Here`s the polisher, stateside vendor.

https://detail-division.com/collecti...o-polisher-12v

Thanks The Guz, now I`m in deep with all sorts of stuff I want to try from Carbon Collective. Haha. I just received OverCoat because of BudgetPlan`s review and such. Also want to try NV Lustre. So many products.
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Thread Information