Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bucket fed pressure washers

I`ve been re-thinking my current detailing situation, and have been thinking about making a change for 2021.

Short version of situation: Limited time for detailing due to other areas in life taking priority + refusing to do non-Autopian quality washes mean both my wife`s and my car are consistently driving around dirtier than they ever have. It`s ironic when the "guy into detailing" at my work (me) has the dirtiest car of the bunch. Sure, it`s swirl free and protected under there; but to your average civilian it`s not the best looking of the bunch. Due to my rear bumper and hatch having been damaged in an accident (thanks 19yo...), I can`t cheat and go through a touchless wash.

So, I`ve been thinking about really leaning into rinseless washing to cut down on the setup/tear down involved. Even though I know deep down an Autopian level rinseless wash is arguably safer than your standard beater-brush car wash, I still can`t get over that mental hurdle of testing the limits of how dirty the car can be starting off. I put on 80+ miles a day, so build up can happen fast.

To counter this, I`ve been kicking around the cordless pressure washer options. I know the Hydroshot has gotten mention here, but it looks like there are a number of options out there now.

Any updated thoughts on any of these options? Dewalt, Kobalt, Hydroshot plus/ultra (whatever it is), Sun Joe, Etc.?

The one I`m eyeing is actually a Greenworks unit. You can get the bare unit for around $145 (I already have a couple of the 40v batteries). "800" psi, 1.1 GPM. 3 year warranty (sent them an email to confirm).

I don`t wanna spend a ton of money as there`s no guarantee this is the right fit. But at $145, I could justify picking one up to try. Then, either just use it as an initial "grit" rinse, or (probably the best version) pick up a pump-up foamer to use my Griot`s Surface Wash as a pre-wash before doing a rinseless. I`ve done this with my regular pressure washer and BOSS cannon, it`s just a lot more setup/teardown to drag all that stuff out. Trimming down the time involved is the big focus.

I`ll update if I end up picking up the Greenworks unit - I may be able to work it into my work routine (auto repair) which would help justify having it around.

Addendum: just focusing on pressure washers/car washing speed tips for this conversation; LSP`s, while obviously also coming into play, are a different topic. Thank you!
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bucket fed pressure washers

Oh, from the title I thought you were talking about the HF paint sprayer that....Scott? was pushing. Who is that guy who was the YouTube darling for a while? I bought one but I haven`t tried it yet

Post Thanks / Like

I had to laugh - while googling paint sprayer for rinseless washing, your thread from may of 2019 came up-

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I believe this was covered in a different thread. Contrary to the impression given by the OP and the impression some of you got, resulting in comments about compressor cost and cup size, the video shows a Harbor Freight airless paint sprayer that draws from a large bucket.

I was actually intrigued enough by this idea that I bought one when it was on sale, but true to form, I haven`t used it yet. However, I can attest to the fact that the unopened box makes a nice stand for the little trash basket I have near the front door when I go through the mail.
    You still haven’t tried it yet?

I’m not judging, I’ve got LSP’s that old that have only been sampled on my toolbox but haven’t made it onto an actual car.

What was the consensus back then on the paint sprayer approach? Or since we don’t hear about it anymore, does that pretty much sum it up?

I figure with the pressure washer option I could at least also use it at work for cleaning off belly pans/etc after leak repairs.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I bought the sprayer for the winter washes with salt gunk on the car--2019-2020 we didn`t really have winter here, I think we had one snowstorm. Even though this past winter was bad, not as much driving with the pandemic, and we had a lot of rain at the end that seemed wash the grit off. So, no, I haven`t gotten it out of the box yet. I don`t seem to have time for anything anymore.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Now you got me wondering....?
    In my new Apt. I don`t have water access for washes.
    This seems to be the way to go
    Looking at theseScreenshot_20210416-115040.jpgScreenshot_20210416-114451.jpg

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I posted this on the sister site as well and had someone mention their Hydroshot not being worth much in terms of cleaning power, which I think I remember having read in the past. That definitely gives me reservations about the lower PSI "power cleaners".

Someone there has the Sunjoe and said it works well through the winters, but the hose comes out in the summer. He does use the Sunjoe for DI water final rinses then.

Ultimately I ordered the Greenworks unit. 800 psi seems like it should suit my needs, and at $143 for just the tool it`s in that window where I`m ok giving it a try. If I love it and wear it out, I could see getting the higher spec`d Sunjoe.

Worst case, Best Buy has a 15 day satisfaction guarantee and I can send it back. Even if there`s a restocking fee, it was worth a shot.

I`ll definitely share with the class when it comes in and I have a chance to try it out.

(ETA: Monday the 26th - the price you pay for free shipping. Friday the 23rd was $30 shipping, which hardly felt worth it. And no way I was spending $50 for Thursday the 22 )

Post Thanks / Like

Is flowing water available? Is the issue with the time it takes to setup and bucket wash the car? I ask because it cost me some coin but adding quality quick disconnects all around and updating my pressure washer hose has made a dramatic improvement to my user experience with the thing. I`m definitely faster doing a quick pressure rinse then pulling in the garage for a rinseless wash than I am without water, mucking around with spray bottle pre-soaks, etc. That being said I rarely do rinseless washes.

Post Thanks / Like

Some people are in apts and don’t have access to running water. Others like me have access to running water except I disconnect the hose in the winter so one of these type of “pressure” washers could help me in the winter with rinsing off wheels.
    Likes Bindytou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Ryobi looks pretty sweet. I have a Hydroshot & it’s almost worthless without a dirt blaster nozzle. With that it is pretty aggressive, but the GPM suck - which slows you down. It is a pretty good tool if you use it that way. Have at least 2 batteries.

The other thing is, if you’re using a bucket - lower GPM may be a benefit because you don’t want to haul out 20 five gallon buckets of water.

I dunno the GPM of the Hydroshot, I just use it on the end of a hose. It is convenient on occasion.

Honestly, I think the biggest compromise is the traditional electric pressure washer. It takes the longest to set up & they come with notorious crappy hoses that kink & are a PIA to roll up. They also tend not to be the longest lasting machines. In my situation, I can just use a gas pressure washer, get it going faster, get it put away faster, and get more dirt off faster.

In your situation, I think battery operated is the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Cord aside, unless I may looking at this wrong, but why not even a -cheap- Ryobi Pressure Washer. I mean ur still technically going to grab the hose....I suppose there is more setup/breakdown when dealing with a PW hose or power cord ?

I`ve got like Seven 40V batteries, about 30+ M18 5ah, six 9ah, two 12ah and man.....don`t really see myself with a cordless pw gun but LOL that`s what I said about the nailers...or SDS Plus Drill....and I`m primarily cordless.
    Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ha. I primarily use and have Milwaukee M12 tools. Didn’t have any M18 tools until I decided to get an impact wrench for lug nuts along with a torque wrench. So I agree, who needs more damn batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

dgage. My post was not re: batteries. Just ROI. OP still gotta drag a hose....
    sure, it is more -time- to do the power and the PW wand hose.
    I get cost is part of this decision...if not the extra hose and cord

Good quality SEOOW or SJOOW extension cords or good PW hose do roll up fairly well. I get the cheaper -grade stuff- may not and that may sway your decision as well

Post Thanks / Like

Once you`re in a particular cordless universe, it gets expensive pretty quick to enter another. I have 12V Bosch, 12V Milwaukee, and 80V Greenworks.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Greenworks. I use it for winter detailing. I love it. I upgraded the hose and gun with Obsessed Garage items. It is more powerful than I would have guessed
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    Is flowing water available? Is the issue with the time it takes to setup and bucket wash the car? I ask because it cost me some coin but adding quality quick disconnects all around and updating my pressure washer hose has made a dramatic improvement to my user experience with the thing. I`m definitely faster doing a quick pressure rinse then pulling in the garage for a rinseless wash than I am without water, mucking around with spray bottle pre-soaks, etc. That being said I rarely do rinseless washes.
    I swear whoever built our house had no regard to how it would actually be used. The hose connection closest to car washing (25 ft + away?) shares the water supply with the irrigation system. So there`s a large portion of the year where it`s shut down. While I`ve done it before, running a hose around the house is possible, but really takes away from the driveway therapy aspect.

The house also only has 2 outlets outside, the garage has a single 2 place outlet in a wall and a single 2 place outlet in the ceiling for the garage door opener. Let`s also not talk about the lighting layout...

I know the other common solution for at-home rinseless washes is to hit a coin-op or touchless wash first, but there aren`t either of those anywhere close enough to justify the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    The Ryobi looks pretty sweet. I have a Hydroshot & it’s almost worthless without a dirt blaster nozzle. With that it is pretty aggressive, but the GPM suck - which slows you down. It is a pretty good tool if you use it that way. Have at least 2 batteries.
    Honestly, I think the biggest compromise is the traditional electric pressure washer. It takes the longest to set up & they come with notorious crappy hoses that kink & are a PIA to roll up. They also tend not to be the longest lasting machines. In my situation, I can just use a gas pressure washer, get it going faster, get it put away faster, and get more dirt off faster.

In your situation, I think battery operated is the way to go.
    Thanks for the feedback on the Hydroshot.

I do already have a cheap Ryobi electric pressure washer. It`s actually been a great unit. While I`ve intended to upgrade the fittings, I just haven`t gotten around to it.

I did get the Ryobi brand 35` hose which is long enough by itself to allow washing without having to drag the machine around; paired with the 25` hose I use it for pressure washing the house. As long as I lay the hose out straight to start, I don`t really run into problems kinking.

The minimal time it takes to set up the hose/cord for the electric pressure washer isn`t what turns me off on that format for car washing, it`s when you add that to all the running back and forth turning the water on and off and dealing with the supply hose.

With adding another pressure washer I could see finally getting quick connects and a different gun. A stubby gun would definitely be nice if the entire wash process is going to be taking place in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Cord aside, unless I may looking at this wrong, but why not even a -cheap- Ryobi Pressure Washer. I mean ur still technically going to grab the hose....I suppose there is more setup/breakdown when dealing with a PW hose or power cord ?
    Back to the original thought, the goal is just to set the car up for best-chance-for-success rinseless washing by blasting the grit off the car before starting. It`s not just the cord, it`s also the hose I`m looking to skip (at times. There`s always a place for a traditional wash!). Again, just trying to bring some of the joy back into having clean cars more often than not.

My daily driver`s at 252k, and the color is so forgiving of defects (as long as it`s not the rotary holograms that were on it when I got it) it was honestly a bit frustrating during the correction process. I`m trying to get myself to relax a bit and just keep it clean vs obsess about keeping it (it`s version of) absolutely perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    I have the Greenworks. I use it for winter detailing. I love it. I upgraded the hose and gun with Obsessed Garage items. It is more powerful than I would have guessed
    Thanks for the feedback! Good to hear. Mine will be here the 26th. *insert thumbs up emoji here*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information