Post Thanks / Like

EZ Detail Brush Fix

If you are like most detailers you probably have one or two (maybe even more) broken EZ Detail Wheel Brushes laying around. One of the biggest weaknesses of these brush types is that the wire portion that feeds into the handle is weak and tends to break off at the handle. Yes I know we can always just purchase a new brush but after having several of these just sitting in my detail drawer I decided to try and fix them and make them reusable.

The solution was pretty simple and inexpensive. I ended up purchasing a one inch wood dowel at Lowes ($4) and along with some Gorilla glue and black spray paint. I now had a solution. I drilled a small hole in the dowel end and feed the wire portion into the dowel with some Gorilla glue. I even added a small hole at the end of dowel with a zip tie for an instant hanger.

If you have several of the EZ Detail brushes laying around give this "refurb" a try !!!

Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing
    Likes Oneheadlite, PoisonTheWell, tom p. liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: EZ Detail Brush Fix

The other "problem" is that the plastic tip that protects the wound-wire end will wear out or tear, especially if you use this brush for cleaning rims on a vehicle and tend to force it between the disc brake caliper and the inner rim barrel surface where there is not much clearance. (Mine seem to get torn on the sharp metal retaining clip on the brake pads in the caliper. My finger tips do, too!) My "fix" was/is to find a soft vinyl-like plastic cap and super glue (I`m with Pats300zx on this: I use the Gorilla Glue brand) it on. I found some at a farm supply store or at a hardware store in fastener section and look for plastic caps. The one`s I found are white and fit over a 5/16" diameter tube or rod. There are usually two (2) in pack so you have a back-up if needed.

Or call EZ Detail Brush at 1-866-631-8488 or email them at orders@ezdetailbrush.com ask them how much a new OEM plastic protective tip cost to send it to you.

So I am going to hijack this thread (AGAIN, Captain Obvious??) and ask if anyone has the Go EZ Detail Brush, the one with the rounded (EZ Detail calls it a "dome") full-bristle end that looks like a toilet bowl cleaning brush and what your detail cleaning experiences are with this particular brush. This brush intrigues me as being useful in cleaning wheel wells or engine compartments because it has the full-bristle end, hence my question about its use to fellow Autopians who have it.

I have the mini-sized (EZ Detail calls it "Little") EZ Detail brush and the 2-1/4" diameter brush works well at cleaning exhaust tip insides. I can see that those of you who have older mini EZ detail brushes that look like they have seen their better days could re-purpose this brush just for exhaust tips.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- Unless they make that GO EZ with softer bristles, I`d never use it under the hood as my EZs are absolutely *NOT* soft enough to use on autopaint; they mar it.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator:
    Many of the negative reviews on EZ Detail Brushes have two "complaints":
    1) The sling and brush-back of wheel cleaning products from the bristles when pulled from tight clearance wheel rims with the bake disc and caliper (which is WHY I prefer the 2-1/4" Diameter bristle mini-sized rather than the 4" Diameter "regular" size);
    2) The bristles were too "soft" to effectively clean brake dust from wheel rim inner barrels. Go figure!

I find the bristles are OK in terms of softness for cleaning dirty rims without "excessive" marring, but when I encounter brake-dust encrusted wheels on most daily drivers, they require some serious scrubbing with a wheel cleaning pad that I have that has a bug mesh-like side just for that reason. Will it induce marring?? Yes, but it looks a lot better being marred and clean rather than brake dust black! I`ve encountered many daily drivers whose wheels are so black from accumulated (pun intended!) brake dust and pitted (most from road salt) they are beyond salvaging. I just clean them up as best I can and live with it. Most vehicle`s rims driven year-round through several Wisconsin winters (7 years or more) will succumb to salt damage and pitting; it is inevitable.
    (Unless that vehicle owner is like "Accumulator OCD"!!!!!!!!!!! Takes the wheel off in the unheated garage with the OEM flat tire scissor`s jack, brings it down to their warm basement with running water access from unhooking the clothes washer hoses, cleans it up, applies FK1000P wax or Klasse Hi-Gloss Sealant Glaze, back to the garage to put on the wheel, and repeats this process for the other three wheels and does this TWICE throughout the winter. Whewwww!! )

Back to the EZ Detail Brush!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    The other "problem" is that the plastic tip that protects the wound-wire end will wear out or tear, especially if you use this brush for cleaning rims on a vehicle and tend to force it between the disc brake caliper and the inner rim barrel surface where there is not much clearance. (Mine seem to get torn on the sharp metal retaining clip on the brake pads in the caliper. My finger tips do, too!) My "fix" was/is to find a soft vinyl-like plastic cap and super glue (I`m with Pats300zx on this: I use the Gorilla Glue brand) it on. I found some at a farm supply store or at a hardware store in fastener section and look for plastic caps. The one`s I found are white and fit over a 5/16" diameter tube or rod. There are usually two (2) in pack so you have a back-up if needed.

Or call EZ Detail Brush at 1-866-631-8488 or email them at orders@ezdetailbrush.com ask them how much a new OEM plastic protective tip cost to send it to you.

So I am going to hijack this thread (AGAIN, Captain Obvious??) and ask if anyone has the Go EZ Detail Brush, the one with the rounded (EZ Detail calls it a "dome") full-bristle end that looks like a toilet bowl cleaning brush and what your detail cleaning experiences are with this particular brush. This brush intrigues me as being useful in cleaning wheel wells or engine compartments because it has the full-bristle end, hence my question about its use to fellow Autopians who have it.

I have the mini-sized (EZ Detail calls it "Little") EZ Detail brush and the 2-1/4" diameter brush works well at cleaning exhaust tip insides. I can see that those of you who have older mini EZ detail brushes that look like they have seen their better days could re-purpose this brush just for exhaust tips.
    Have the EZ but not the regular ones due to everything I’ve read that is rehashed here. When i got it I didn’t trust the brushes on my matte black wheels.

Use it in the engine bay but not on the painted parts. Works well but i still reach for my mother’s red handled brush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information