Post Thanks / Like

DA Pads Simplicity...HELP please!!!

Good Afternoon fellow Detailers!

I am preparing to detail my car for the spring. It`s a Subaru Legacy in Lapis Blue/Dark Blue. It does have Mothers carnauba wax, as part of their 3 step system on it already. I am new to detailing and did everything by hand but it does have minor scratches - the type that straight on, you don`t see but in the sun at an angle, you do see if you specifically look. Now I`m looking to invest in the PC8424XP.

1. I`ve spent a good amount of time online researching pads. I see charts with the differences between pads, but what is the difference between the wool pads, foam pads, knitted wool pads?

2. What`s the difference between the different foam pad types, i.e. CCS, HDO, Flat, Better Edge, SDO, Hydro-Tech, Cross Cut, Double Sided, Waffle Pro, and Tufted? Whew... lol.

3. Which pad type would be good with the Mother`s products? I have their paste wax

4. Is the PC really much louder/vibrate more then the Griots 9?

5. The car does have a few curves and such, will the pads work for that, or just on flat surfaces?

6. Any other tips/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DA Pads Simplicity...HELP please!!!

Are you looking to do a correction or just wax it with the machine? The PC7424XP is pretty idiot proof. That`s what I have as a person relatively new to the detailing game, it`s not gear driven, so it`ll just stall if you`re pressing too hard or have a curve that`s tough. If you`re just looking to spread wax, a soft foam pad would be fine. I think in most brands that`s usually a black pad. At least it is with my Lake Country pads and I think the Chemical Guys pads (that I hate) are.

I don`t have any feedback as to Griot`s G9 vs. PC7424XP.

You`ll have to do some experimenting to figure out what works for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Porter cable is great machine but G9 people love it!! Lifetime warranty too!! And it’s more powerful. to get the most out of it the thinner the pad the better. If your trying to remove swirls cutting pad and you will improve your paint 10 fold SDO will work and it cheap. A lot of the time but not always orange pad is a middle of the road cutting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonTheWell View Post
    Are you looking to do a correction or just wax it with the machine? The PC7424XP is pretty idiot proof. That`s what I have as a person relatively new to the detailing game, it`s not gear driven, so it`ll just stall if you`re pressing too hard or have a curve that`s tough. If you`re just looking to spread wax, a soft foam pad would be fine. I think in most brands that`s usually a black pad. At least it is with my Lake Country pads and I think the Chemical Guys pads (that I hate) are.

I don`t have any feedback as to Griot`s G9 vs. PC7424XP.

You`ll have to do some experimenting to figure out what works for you.
    I have what I think are very light swirls...basically you can only see them at an angle on a very sunny day, but it was a bit disappointing as I had done my first detail this past fall. The car is dark blue. I`m looking to mostly do corrections, and make it easier to spread a glaze and polish. I use the Mothers Ultimate Wax system. For the wax itself, I enjoy doing it by hand...although that might change.

1. What exactly is a cutting pad and how is that different then a polishing pad? Which pad would I use to apply wax?

2. Everyone seems to rave about the Lake Country pads, is there a better brand?

3. What specifically is a compound...is that a polish or a glaze or wax? For the Mothers 3 step wax system, which step would be the compound?

4. When would I use a cutting pad, and are there different "levels/colors" of cutting pads, like the polishing pads i.e. red, black, white, etc?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not familiar with the Mother`s system. Are you polishing then glazing then waxing?

1. A cutting pad will correct clearcoat more heavily. Think of it as being like a more coarse sandpaper vs. a fine grit one. Stiff pad vs. soft. A polishing pad will cut a bit, but not as much. Which, if you`ve only got light swirl marks that is what you`ll probably start with. Always go least aggressive possible to get the results you want. You don`t want any cut if you`re applying a wax, so for a brand like Lake Country, that`ll be the red pads.

2. I`ve had success with the Lake Country. If I tried anything else it`d probably be the Rupes pads and DA system. Certain paints need certain combos.

3. Compound will cut more. Think of it as an aggressive polish. Then you`ll have polishes. Glazes are kind of like fillers in my opinion. I`ve tried them, they supposedly lightly polish. I`ve found no need for them. I`m sure they have their place. Wax is basically the sacrificial coating that makes everything look great.

4. Every company has their own color codes for pads. Just make sure you check out their charts and descriptions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonTheWell View Post
    I`m not familiar with the Mother`s system. Are you polishing then glazing then waxing?

1. A cutting pad will correct clearcoat more heavily. Think of it as being like a more coarse sandpaper vs. a fine grit one. Stiff pad vs. soft. A polishing pad will cut a bit, but not as much. Which, if you`ve only got light swirl marks that is what you`ll probably start with. Always go least aggressive possible to get the results you want. You don`t want any cut if you`re applying a wax, so for a brand like Lake Country, that`ll be the red pads.

2. I`ve had success with the Lake Country. If I tried anything else it`d probably be the Rupes pads and DA system. Certain paints need certain combos.

3. Compound will cut more. Think of it as an aggressive polish. Then you`ll have polishes. Glazes are kind of like fillers in my opinion. I`ve tried them, they supposedly lightly polish. I`ve found no need for them. I`m sure they have their place. Wax is basically the sacrificial coating that makes everything look great.

4. Every company has their own color codes for pads. Just make sure you check out their charts and descriptions.
    Hi, Correct it`s polishing, then glazing then waxing. It was recommended to me by a few people, and readily available in stores near me....I live in a rural area. I did it once all by hand, just wanting something to speed up the process lol.

Thanks for the advice, guess I`ll just have to buckle down and try... lol

Thread Information