Thread: Ppf -

Post Thanks / Like

PPF and detailing

Question for those who have or detail cars with PPF on part or all of the vehicle. Are there specialized products to decontaminate, polish or LSP or does it not matter?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ppf -

I know Gyeon has a PPF polish. I haven`t seen anyone mention anything different as far as prep work goes. I`m sure there are probably certain products that do not jive well with them. Back in my early days when first learning how to detail cars, the Chemical Guys V07 optical spray would streak horrible on my PPF.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve decontaminated ppf the same way as paint. As far as polishing, I`ve only ever used CarPro Essence on it with light pad pressure with the idea of doing a finishing step. A lot of ppf brands can self heal when exposed to heat. So the idea is to gently lift any superficial haze or contaminants and maybe lay down some protection. And tape any exposed edges before you start lol. I haven`t tested ppf specific coatings yet. Regular coatings seem to hold up fine but I also tend to add toppers frequently to the cars I touch.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, it`s GYEON PPF Renew. I purchased the smaller bottle to try it on the old PPF on my car that I`m going to replace. How do the coatings work in conjunction with the self-healing PPF?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonTheWell View Post
    Ah, it`s GYEON PPF Renew. I purchased the smaller bottle to try it on the old PPF on my car that I`m going to replace. How do the coatings work in conjunction with the self-healing PPF?
    Nothing is always, nothing is never but the generally accepted wisdom is that coatings (both PPF-specific & non-PPF specific) will not affect self-healing characteristics of PPF.

I`ve had a few small `incidents` w our PPF/coated car and its been fine in that respect.
    Likes PoisonTheWell liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. What about using polishes to remove swirls?

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had 2 partial & 2 full PPF`s done - with two different brands, going back to 2017.

I`ve never had problems with swirls, but I do get water spots. I use the least aggressive paint polish I have and very lightly go over everything by hand.

When I go mudding in my truck I get big scratches & scuffs. Best I found was using hot-hot water & rinseless wash:

Induction range + steel bucket + several coats of high temp paint.

Even though I keep my shop at 62 degrees, nothing feels better than a hot wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moonracer364 View Post
    I`ve had 2 partial & 2 full PPF`s done - with two different brands, going back to 2017.

I`ve never had problems with swirls, but I do get water spots. I use the least aggressive paint polish I have and very lightly go over everything by hand.

When I go mudding in my truck I get big scratches & scuffs. Best I found was using hot-hot water & rinseless wash:

Induction range + steel bucket + several coats of high temp paint.

Even though I keep my shop at 62 degrees, nothing feels better than a hot wash.
    Your garagePpf -..... i hate you.......

All jokes aside magnificent garage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information