Post Thanks / Like

Do you coat or dress both sides of tires?

The question is more for tire coatings due to having to scrub and clean. And due to the longer durability. But wouldn’t mind hearing if anyone uses dressings on the hidden sides of the tires.

I’m about to get scrubbing on my winter tires (brand new last November and I didn’t apply anything knowing I wanted a strong coating bond this year). I have a small garage and it would be a pain to have to clean both sides due to my setup. Is it worth it? I’m guessing the tires will last 4 winters (so 4 years old) in their lifetime. Maybe even 5.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you coat or dress both sides of tires?

Only if the wheels are off the car.
    Likes John U liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Only if the wheels are off the car.
    My wheels are off, but decided not to. Working space is tight.

Post Thanks / Like

I see no benefit other than to help OCD if you have it. With that said to each there own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Oneheadlite, Ron Ketcham liked this post
    Thanks Ron Ketcham thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

It`s time to put down the Tuf Shine brush and go back inside.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no way I`d do it. The effort to remove the wheels just to get them isn`t worth it for an area no one can see.

I can only think of two reasons to attempt dressing the inside of any tires.

1) A show car where it sits on a elevated display with mirrors/lights highlighting the undercarriage of the car.
    2) A truck with a massive lift kit exposing most/all of the tire. (I actually saw this dually truck last night that was not only running a huge lift kit, but the wheel wells were lit as well. You have to dress the entire tire for that!)
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Do you coat or dress both sides of tires?

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    There is no way I`d do it. The effort to remove the wheels just to get them isn`t worth it for an area no one can see.

I can only think of two reasons to attempt dressing the inside of any tires.

1) A show car where it sits on a elevated display with mirrors/lights highlighting the undercarriage of the car.
    2) A truck with a massive lift kit exposing most/all of the tire. (I actually saw this dually truck last night that was not only running a huge lift kit, but the wheel wells were lit as well. You have to dress the entire tire for that!)
    I’m in agreement with you. However my wheels were off (they are winter wheels) so I considered. But I don’t even have much room to stand tires up to do both sides at once. So despite being off, I didn’t feel like doubling the effort and the chance to hurt my back.

4 extra wheel sides to scrub. 12-16 extra coats to apply. Extra turning heavy wheels over. Chose against it.

Post Thanks / Like

I swap mine too...or will in a few weeks, but don`t consider doing the inside. My car sits too low you can`t see that side of the tire. I have room to work on them when off, and still wouldn`t do it.

I do however give the wheels a really good deep clean to remove all the brake dust and grime. I`ll go after my calipers too since it`s the only time I have free access to them.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I swap mine too...or will in a few weeks, but don`t consider doing the inside. My car sits too low you can`t see that side of the tire. I have room to work on them when off, and still wouldn`t do it.

I do however give the wheels a really good deep clean to remove all the brake dust and grime. I`ll go after my calipers too since it`s the only time I have free access to them.
    Im basically in the exact same situation and thought process as you. Me drafting this thread yesterday was the first I ever considered protecting the other side. Maybe I’ll slap some Gloss Tire gel on it, since it takes two seconds.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, going against the grain here, I always used to dress the insides of the tires, but only when I had the wheels off the car (rotation or winter tire swap). This was mostly to preserve the sidewall, some OCD, and some on the philosophy that if I get a flat or the car is being serviced, things are cleaner (and whoever is doing the work will be more careful after observing that someone cares about this vehicle).

After all the buzz about the TW tire coating back in the day, and me picking up some before it disappeared, I found I didn`t like it because of the risk of getting black, hard to remove coating on the fronts of my wheels, so I started to use it on the backs--it really makes it quick and easy to clean the tire when you are doing rotation or winter swap.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just keep `em (somewhat ) clean, just a quick job during most washes, but I don`t slime them.

Thread Information