Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rubber trim protection.

The one guy that does the 30 product test panel has been good to follow I was really liking that black stuff it look great and wasn’t fading I have tons of solutions finish but that product look pretty unique

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    Which UTTG you using the new water based or the original Solent pre VOC
    Both, sorta saving the v1.0/solvent-based for jobs where its modestly superior durability might matter to me. Though the newer/water-based one works better for me than it apparently does for some people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    The one guy that does the 30 product test panel has been good to follow I was really liking that black stuff it look great and wasn’t fading I have tons of solutions finish but that product look pretty unique
    For exterior rubber parts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    I was really excited with how well I heard the cerakote trim works at preserving. But what about rubber components around the windows and to preserve those ? I am guessing c quartz that I have won’t be good for the rubber trim or will it ?

Have not used cerakote. Are you referring to DLUX? It states it can be used on rubber. Rubber is a bit tricky because it needs to be cleaned really well for a coating to properly bond. Rubber tends to oxidize. I use DLUZ on the rubber trim on the window of my Camaro and I clean the rubber until no more black residue comes off of it.

If it is a more hard rubber almost like plastic the that is easier to clean and dress. My Grand Prix has this type of harder rubber and I have coated it with DLUX and C4 without any issues.

Out of curiosity what type of vehicle is it?
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Striker liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is the degradation of rubber seals/weatherstrips/etc. actually a problem for people these days? Just curious as it`s simply *NEVER* been an issue for me except for when I buy something that`s already been terribly neglected (e.g., that Tahoe of mine). The `93 Audi`s exterior rubber was pretty bad too, but it came right back to OK with minimal effort, and no problems with the Crown Vic despite years of presumably minimal care down in TX.

So..I`m just curious whether others actually *need to* do much of anything with trim or whether we just do it because we`re, well...Autopian about such stuff.

FWIW, wax (usually Collinite 845, but Malm`s and Souveran worked fine too) and more recently UTTG+ are all I`ve used on exterior rubber since forever, and that`s always worked perfectly for me, even when I was parking something outside all the time.
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Have not used cerakote. Are you referring to DLUX? It states it can be used on rubber. Rubber is a bit tricky because it needs to be cleaned really well for a coating to properly bond. Rubber tends to oxidize. I use DLUZ on the rubber trim on the window of my Camaro and I clean the rubber until no more black residue comes off of it.

If it is a more hard rubber almost like plastic the that is easier to clean and dress. My Grand Prix has this type of harder rubber and I have coated it with DLUX and C4 without any issues.

Out of curiosity what type of vehicle is it?
    I too have a f body (99 trans am) that’s a garage car and I just purchased a new golf r in august.

Post Thanks / Like

I too have a f body (99 trans am) that’s a garage car and I just purchased a new golf r in august.

Scrub that rubber window trim on the door glass on the trans am until you see no black residue coming off of it. At that point coat it with DLUX. It will naturally oxidize but just slower. The trim on the front and rear takes DLIX just fine as does the textured cowl.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I`m very pleased with Cerakote on the plastic trim below the windshield wipers and on the wiper arms.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

That hard plastic cowl on the TA fades and looks crappy. Most products don`t seem to last on that particular plastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I’ll bet. Mine doesn’t see the sun so it’s still new looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

So..I`m just curious whether others actually *need to* do much of anything with trim or whether we just do it because we`re, well...Autopian about such stuff.
    I wiped down all the rubber gaskets on our 2006 Audi wagon yesterday. The rubber is in great shape - - haven`t done anything to it for ages. However, it`s been sitting outside while my son is home from school and it has frozen up twice in the past weeks. I have all sorts of rubber potions, but ended up grabbing a new sponge and my 303 spray and laid it down kind of heavy. Hoping that will give me some relief from the icing up/lock out scene.

Happy Holidays to all !!
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used cerakote on the plastic wheel liners on my Golf R. I did it after I put the car in the garage for the winter. I also did the cowl and engine bay plastics. Time will tell how it lasts. One piece of advice fellas.....wear a fking mask! This stuff straight up destroys your throat and sinuses in no time! I wore a proper painters mask when applying this and would advise anything less!

Post Thanks / Like

tom p.- Huh...for some reason the whole "car freezing shut" thing hasn`t been an issue for me. Seems weird what with so many Ohio winters under my belt, but I honestly can`t think of a single time it was a problem, no idea why it hasn`t. I can certainly imagine it though!

Post Thanks / Like

Bring this old thread back to life. Anyone with an RV or who details RV’s. What is your go to product for the exterior rubber window seals. The RV stays in covered storage so it’s not constant exposure to sun. After reading this thread I’m thinking UTTG would be my best bet since they should be treated quite often. Interested to see if any of you who own an RV would have a different recommendation.

Post Thanks / Like

DaveT435- Noting that I don`t have an RV...as you probably already suspected, I`d use the UTTG+ and maintain it with a SprayWax.
    Likes DaveT435 liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information