Post Thanks / Like

Drying Aid Process

I have seen the notion of using a "drying aid" brought up routinely, and lots of discussions about which products work best for various individuals; but I have never been able to confirm my understanding of how/when the product is used.
    Is a drying aid sprayed onto the vehicle after washing but BEFORE drying to increase lubrication during the drying process and add protection?
    Or is it sprayed on the car AFTER drying the car to leave another layer of sealant/wax protection?
    I`m not certain what the actual intention is here.
    Thanks for clarifying.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drying Aid Process

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroDfx View Post
    I have seen the notion of using a "drying aid" brought up routinely, and lots of discussions about which products work best for various individuals; but I have never been able to confirm my understanding of how/when the product is used.
    Is a drying aid sprayed onto the vehicle after washing but BEFORE drying to increase lubrication during the drying process and add protection?
    Or is it sprayed on the car AFTER drying the car to leave another layer of sealant/wax protection?
    I`m not certain what the actual intention is here.
    Thanks for clarifying.
    The former, it’s sprayed on during the drying process to increase lubrication and it thins out the water making it easier to absorb into your towel and also should eliminate any fresh water spots if any exist.

I think some people do some blow drying to rid some/most water first, but I personally just wait a few minutes for initial pools to dissipate and then get started with a still fairly wet car.

Post Thanks / Like

Myself I use a drying aid after sheeting the car with water. My car has a good LSP on it and there usually isn`t that much water left.
    Right now I use Beadmaker as my drying aid. I have been looking at some others but waiting on reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

I flood rinse after a wash to remove most of the water. Then dry with TW HS wet wax.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KBsToy View Post
    Myself I use a drying aid after sheeting the car with water. My car has a good LSP on it and there usually isn`t that much water left.
    Same here. I`ll use a Waterless Wash like Ech2O or QD spay.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

So if I`m understanding correctly, you are all using some means or device to shed as much beaded water as possible before you start drying, then spray your drying aid as you soak up the last remaining water with your drying towels.
    Thanks for clarifying.
    Likes JRoDDz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroDfx View Post
    So if I`m understanding correctly, you are all using some means or device to shed as much beaded water as possible before you start drying, then spray your drying aid as you soak up the last remaining water with your drying towels.
    Thanks for clarifying.
    Pretty much... I probably sheet the least effectively because my hose trigger sprayer always rusts on and I’m too lazy to cut it and try new or put some electrical tape on in the first place. I do sheet the best I can with the shower setting though. Probably a bit more water on mine though prior to drying versus these other guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboys Spray&Gloss, right after you wash when car is still wet. You can actually see the water sheathing off. Then just dry. After, go over with a dry microfiber and slightly buff... great results!

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used alot of waterlesses quick waxes and such. Even tried CG Afterwash and HS quick wax both dedicated drying aids.

Ammo Hydrate by far is the best i’ve use. Doesn’t really leave anything behind which is what i like but make’s my towel feel like wiping butter over your car.

Along with Frothe those are two best in class products that annihilate the competition. Expensive.... ehh the math on frothe is about $1.50 per wash not factoring foamer.

I bought hydrate at end of November so 8 months i have well over half a bottle left. If i can use a bottle per year a $25 it definitely fits in the budget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folks for the helpful info.

Post Thanks / Like

Doing mostly rinseless washes, I like to do a preliminary pass with a plush MF towel to break up / spread out the heavy beads, making no attempt to get a panel completely dry. I`ll use the same towel for the whole car, wringing it out as I go. It`s also a bit of insurance in case I missed a small spot.
    After that comes the drying aid, recently either DG Aquawax, Meg`s D156 or Beadmaker. One or two more plush MF`s is all it takes to completely dry a midsize car. Yeah, it`s an extra step, but I don`t think it takes any more time than trying to accomplish it all in one drying step. I`ll save my PFM towels for times when I`m not using a drying aid to avoid the possibility of contaminating them.

Bill
    Likes mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Uber Rinseless in QD mix at 3oz/gal has been my drying aid for a long time now. I still have gallons I can make with the concentrate. Where I live I have hard water issues so even washing in the shade I like a little something to mop up water spots as I dry. I spray liberally on a wet car and drying is easy with a couple of pfms.

Thread Information