Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: confused

Post Thanks / Like

confused

I am 79 years old....still love to make my car look great....years ago all I used was polish and wax....I have a 2019 white camry early this year I clayed my car and put put on wolfgang SI02 sealant...the car looks good...now it seems ceramic coating is what people are doing...now if I want to put on a ceramic coating...as far as I know I have to use clay or whatever to get rid of the sealant...and start over...what can I use to apply a coating ....a spray...don`t want to spend a whole lot of money
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: confused

Mauro, you might look at a product like CQuartz Lite. Easy to work with and you get a big bottle (several cars) to work with. However, it`s not a spray product.Coatings are typically removed by time or mechanical polishing.
    Cars: bringing people together

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maurofc70 View Post
    I am 79 years old....still love to make my car look great....years ago all I used was polish and wax....I have a 2019 white camry early this year I clayed my car and put put on wolfgang SI02 sealant...the car looks good...now it seems ceramic coating is what people are doing...now if I want to put on a ceramic coating...as far as I know I have to use clay or whatever to get rid of the sealant...and start over...what can I use to apply a coating ....a spray...don`t want to spend a whole lot of money
    Since we have never met, Welcome to the Forum, Maurofc70 --

This is what I have used for years to apply coatings, and it has always worked great for me --

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/tuf-...l#.Xx9RIFWpH3g This sponge is a very tight foam and does not absorb and hold liquids easily..

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/carp...l#.Xx9RvVWpH3g

You put the suede cloth over the sponge, overlap if necessary to make it tight, then, carefully apply your coating to 1 edge and wipe in straight lines over the vehicle.. You need good lighting to see where the coating is on the vehicle, and overlap that pass you just did and apply the next one..

Depending on the coating, you have to wait a certain amount of time, and then, using a very soft microfiber towel, carefully and lightly go over the coating passes you just did,to level them all off and make them even..

If you spot where the coating is not perfectly smooth and flat, you want to carefully wipe that spot/area away, so it is all level and evenly applied, before the coating sets up and cannot be touched until it dries..

There may some more preparation needed to get your paint ready for the coating process also.. Depends on what you did already, etc..

Last I checked coatings are not inexpensive, so good luck with that part too !

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

The Wolfgang SIO2 Sealant is “easy as pie” to apply, and it looks great. Unless you’re dying to enter the coating world, I’d stick with the sealant.
    Likes Stokdgs, wannafbody, Oneheadlite, Loach liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I might get some flack for for this but look into the Adams spray coating. Super easy to work with. Hard to get this one wrong.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang makes a SIO2 spray topper which should work over your Wolfgang sealant. Spray and wipe. I don`t think you really need a coating for basic protection.

Post Thanks / Like

confused

Gyeon Cancoat is awesome. I also appied CQuartz UK 3 as my first coating and it was just fine. I had 2 panels i had to redo because of high spots but my fault due to bad lighting.

I would give Adams spray graphene coating a look.

As for applying I would give Autofiber saver applications apply. Universally loved by all who use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2008 View Post
    The Wolfgang SIO2 Sealant is “easy as pie” to apply, and it looks great. Unless you’re dying to enter the coating world, I’d stick with the sealant.
    Not only is it really easy to apply, but from what I`ve experienced the water behavior is very similar (if not identical) and the look is just as good, if not better. The only down side is it won`t last years like a coating. If you`re happy with what you have now and don`t want to add the cost and additional work of a coating, I`d stick with what you have.

If nothing else, since you`ve already got the sealant on there let it run it`s course and once its worn out you can then worry about whether or not to coat the car.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Not only is it really easy to apply, but from what I`ve experienced the water behavior is very similar (if not identical) and the look is just as good, if not better. The only down side is it won`t last years like a coating. If you`re happy with what you have now and don`t want to add the cost and additional work of a coating, I`d stick with what you have.

If nothing else, since you`ve already got the sealant on there let it run it`s course and once its worn out you can then worry about whether or not to coat the car.
    Cancoat is $15 more for a bottle. It will last alot longer but has less applications. It literally is spray and wipe on wipe off. Cost will vary how you perceive it but work will be about same and less if you look at applications over two years. Anyone who can apply a sealant can apply cancoat

Likes Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Cancoat is $15 more for a bottle. It will last alot longer but has less applications. It literally is spray and wipe on wipe off. Cost will vary how you perceive it but work will be about same and less if you look at applications over two years. Anyone who can apply a sealant can apply cancoat

I second this statement. The only downside is a strong chemical smell.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all your replys....

Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys...this is my plan to use ceramic coating:

was and dry
    use clay
    durogloss 101 polish
    blackfire paint prep
    blackfire black coating

LOl I just turned 79...Lol I might be 80 before I am done

Post Thanks / Like

Duragloss 101 isn`t a true polish. It is an all in one paint cleaner and wax/sealant. You`ll want to switch out for a more newbie friendly polish. Are you planning on doing this by hand or machine?
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys...this is my plan to use ceramic coating:

was and dry
    use clay
    durogloss 101 polish
    blackfire paint prep
    blackfire black coating

LOl I just turned 79...Lol I might be 80 before I am done
    I have seen your post over on Autogeek and I will post the same thing here. I understand you are looking to chemically remove any left over sealant/wax. The best way to remove it is to invest in an abrasive polish. There are plenty of options here. That will clean the paint of any remaining sealant/wax as well as remove defects (depends on doing it by hand or machine). It will also remove any clay marring.

Meguiar`s Ultimate Polish and M205 are available at your local parts store. I would recommend prep wiping a couple times with either of these.

I linked this poorboy`s product on your AGO post. Waxmode has used this more than enough to remove old sealant/wax.

https://www.autogeek.net/pb-strip-down.html

The other option is to find someone that can do the prep work for you and you put the coating on. Perhaps even a local forum member.

I would look into adding an iron remover into the mix as well. An example is CarPro Ironx.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Duragloss 101 isn`t a true polish. It is an all in one paint cleaner and wax/sealant. You`ll want to switch out for a more newbie friendly polish. Are you planning on doing this by hand or machine?
    Exactly this. You don`t want an all in one as the base. The coating won`t bond 100% or last as long.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes SGM2008 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the reply`s....looks like I will pick up Meguiar`s ultimate polish ILO duragloss..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information