Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: confused

Post Thanks / Like

Re: confused

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have seen your post over on Autogeek and I will post the same thing here. I understand you are looking to chemically remove any left over sealant/wax. The best way to remove it is to invest in an abrasive polish..
    Eh, I fear this might sound more, uhm..contentious...than I intend But I`d worry about unnecessary thinning of the clearcoat. Yeah, even with M205 (the TSO in which drive me nuts, so I`d never use that before a coating anyhow).

Noting that I`ve done that plenty of times, I would *not* polish through the existing LSP when it`s easy enough to simply wipe, or "wash", the residual LSP off with the right Prep Product. Even just wiping it with Mineral Spirits oughta do the job, then a *NON*abrasive Pre-coating Product should work, and IMO it`d even be faster/easier than polishing a whole vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumlator...are you saying I shouldn`t use a polish....and just use a Prep Product..

Post Thanks / Like

confused

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Eh, I fear this might sound more, uhm..contentious...than I intend But I`d worry about unnecessary thinning of the clearcoat. Yeah, even with M205 (the TSO in which drive me nuts, so I`d never use that before a coating anyhow).

Noting that I`ve done that plenty of times, I would *not* polish through the existing LSP when it`s easy enough to simply wipe, or "wash", the residual LSP off with the right Prep Product. Even just wiping it with Mineral Spirits oughta do the job, then a *NON*abrasive Pre-coating Product should work, and IMO it`d even be faster/easier than polishing a whole vehicle.
    Someone asked this same exact question on MOL with regards to UP. Polishing does not remove that much unlike compounding. It is not like the op is using ultimate polish every day. We also don`t know if the op will do this by hand or machine which will make a difference as well.

Link Removed

Everyone is looking for that short cut to remove LSP`s and they don`t always work. Polishing has been proven to work. These paint prep/panel wipe products are intended to remove polishing oils. Sure it may remove a degraded wax. But I would not want to have any residue and have a coating fail prematurely.

With regards to your dislike for M205, yeah you have mentioned this quite often. It works fine with a coating and I never had an issue with it. Many have used it and continue to use it. Have you used M205 with a coating to know it does not work?

I do understand that age of the op as it’s a lot of work. If there is no LSP left in the paint then sure why not apply a coating.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maurofc70 View Post
    Thanks for all the reply`s....looks like I will pick up Meguiar`s ultimate polish ILO duragloss..
    PM me. I’ll send these two 303 polishes out to you.

I don`t want it, you can have it...
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike...I already picked up Meguiars ultimate polish....would be interested in Blackfire and Wolfgang spray SIO2 sealant....they are almost fulled bottles...let me know and I will send it out to you..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maurofc70 View Post
    Thanks Mike...I already picked up Meguiars ultimate polish....would be interested in Blackfire and Wolfgang spray SIO2 sealant....they are almost fulled bottles...let me know and I will send it out to you..
    Enjoy the polish. I think those other products belong to another. All I have are the 303 polishes and the tac system tire coat.

Post Thanks / Like

maurofc70- Well, that`s how *I* would do it, but IMO you oughta do whatever approach appeals to *you*. As The Guz pointed out, a light "LSP removal" polishing won`t take off that much clear, and I understand that most people aren`t/don`t need to be as concerned about clearcoat removal as I am.

FWIW, my late father was still doing this stuff well into his late 80s, didn`t even start washing his own car until he was 70 but was polishing/etc. with me afterwards. So I was taking your age into account and thinking what I`d have recommended to my father had he asked the same Qs.

On the Coating approach, which certainly has its benefits (even if I seldom avail myself of them), I gather you`re confident that you can prep the surface(s) properly/sufficiently and can also *see* well enough to do a proper Coating application. I`m only 60, and I`m not "vision impaired" by any conventional standard, but having coated wheels a few times, I simply don`t trust my vision well enough to even consider coating a whole vehicle. I`m 100% certain that I`d botch up some area some where, only to discover it later and end up redoing at least that panel.

Just FWIW, would you consider having this work done for you by a Pro? I believe that`s the best course of action for a whole lotta people, which is zero criticism of those folks. If I didn`t have my facilities I doubt I`d even *wash* my own vehicles...lots of reasons to have some things done by professionals.

The Guz- Eh, once again this thread has reinforced how I often experience challenges with different things than do other people.

I`ve had all sorts of issues from the TSO in M205. No, never tried it before a coating as I saw no reason to bother with those TSO, I retired my M205 long before my (very limited) experiences with coatings. I know I`m a broken record on it but I simply don`t get how/why people like M205.

I might`ve misspoken when I said "Paint Prep Products". Mine strip LSPs just fine, easy as can be, so maybe we`re talking about different things.

I`ve never had *any* problems removing any conventional LSP with my PrepWash/AkyraClean. It`s not as efficient about it as my solvents, but I very seldom bother using those instead since they merely work faster, not better. Note that it was originally developed as a LSP Remover even though they later started touting it for Polishing Oils.

I *have* had admittedly minor issues from polishing through a (very healthy) LSP, which taught me to just stick with the other approaches.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

confused

I have Akyra Klean/Prep Wash too and it’s the first thing I would reach for for LSP removal and definitely for TSO removal. Unfortunately it’s no longer made so I better use it very sparingl

EDIT—to my surprise it looks like Kleen *is* still available. It’s for sale on the Hi Temp products site. This is really good for me to know
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    EDIT—to my surprise it looks like Kleen *is* still available. It’s for sale on the Hi Temp products site. This is really good for me to know
    Good to know indeed! I`d just ASSumed that Hi-Temp was gone when TOL closed down.

Post Thanks / Like

The Hi Temp site looks makeshift but if they are still selling their products, that’s all that matters!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry to hear about your Dad..I love keeping my car looking great was always something I wanted to do..LOl I wanted my car to look better than anyone else...made me feel good..today everything is so different then years ago...but I will not give up...just trying to learn..thanks for for your replys

Post Thanks / Like

The Guz- Seeing your "like", I gather I didn`t give offense with my different preference, if that`s so I`m really glad. Hard to know how I come across online sometimes

maurofc70- Thanks. He did have a good, and long, life..like a guy a fraction of his age too. Heh heh, maybe those Sat. afternoon Detailing sessions helped

If you do go with the Coating, I hope you`ll post back about how it goes, and that it goes smoothly. I`d like nothing more than to hear that I was unnecessarily cautious about the whole thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    The Guz- Seeing your "like", I gather I didn`t give offense with my different preference, if that`s so I`m really glad. Hard to know how I come across online sometimes

maurofc70- Thanks. He did have a good, and long, life..like a guy a fraction of his age too. Heh heh, maybe those Sat. afternoon Detailing sessions helped

If you do go with the Coating, I hope you`ll post back about how it goes, and that it goes smoothly. I`d like nothing more than to hear that I was unnecessarily cautious about the whole thing.
    No offense at all. Sometimes text doesn’t come out well compared to physically talking.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Coatings is a broad spectrum. Some spray coatings are as easy to apply as a wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Coatings is a broad spectrum. Some spray coatings are as easy to apply as a wax.
    IF (and that`s one pretty big "if" for me..) they really are Accumulator-proof, I`d wonder how those would compare to what I experience with my conventional LSPs. The posts I`ve seen..well, the ones I remember, perhaps? ...didn`t seem all *that* impressive to me. People keep talking about "refreshing", cleaning with special shampoos, etc.

Don`t want to sound like I`m all prejudiced about `em, though gee I sure sound like it some times!
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information