Post Thanks / Like

A helpful tip...

Maybe some of you do this already, but I wanted to share something with everyone since you all have shared so much with me.

When I dry my cars I used to always get the dreaded streaks from water that would always come out of the mirros, trim etc...annoying as heck and it would ruin an otherwise clean and spotless car.

So, for the past few years I`ve been doing this...

...after drying the car, I take my RIDGID wet/dry vac with the crevice tool installed, turn her on and by cupping my around the end of the nozzle so as to not scratch any paint, I hold it up under the mirror where it meets the door and run it around the mirror itself to suck out any traces of water that could be left since your towels can`t get `inside` those areas. It works great!

I also do this around all trim, lug nuts, door handles, etc. No more spots!! Just be sure to keep your hand cupped around the ends of the vac accessory to avoid any scratching and you`ll be in good shape.

So, there you have it...my first tip for you guys. As I said...some of you may already do this, but if not, give it a try...I think you`ll be happy when you take your freshly washed car out for a spin and you no longer have those dreaded dried water streaks all down the side of your ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A helpful tip...

Quote Originally Posted by YNOT
    Maybe some of you do this already, but I wanted to share something with everyone since you all have shared so much with me.

When I dry my cars I used to always get the dreaded streaks from water that would always come out of the mirros, trim etc...annoying as heck and it would ruin an otherwise clean and spotless car.

So, for the past few years I`ve been doing this...

...after drying the car, I take my RIDGID wet/dry vac with the crevice tool installed, turn her on and by cupping my around the end of the nozzle so as to not scratch any paint, I hold it up under the mirror where it meets the door and run it around the mirror itself to suck out any traces of water that could be left since your towels can`t get `inside` those areas. It works great!

I also do this around all trim, lug nuts, door handles, etc. No more spots!! Just be sure to keep your hand cupped around the ends of the vac accessory to avoid any scratching and you`ll be in good shape.

So, there you have it...my first tip for you guys. As I said...some of you may already do this, but if not, give it a try...I think you`ll be happy when you take your freshly washed car out for a spin and you no longer have those dreaded dried water streaks all down the side of your ride.
    Thanks, great tip....... I use my leaf blower on low and that gets all the water out from about any where
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same thing although I use an aircompressor with a trigger nozzle, works great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan
    I do the same thing although I use an aircompressor with a trigger nozzle, works great.

Yep thats what I do..

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip YNOT. I`ve been blowing the water with my shop vac, but I hate blowing dust around on the car after I`ve cleaned it.

YNOT, did you lose power at your house last week?

a step ahead
    Post Thanks / Like

Good idea. I actually use an Air Wand. I do whatever I can trying not use a towel/chamois or anything else that might put micro scratches in the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxima Lover
    YNOT, did you lose power at your house last week?
    Yeah...lost it Wednesday night when the storm started and it didn`t come back on until Thursday night. Overall I can`t complain...many people are still without power 7 days later. I did go into work friday and we had that second storm which, luckily for me, knocked out power there, so I got to go home a bit early that day.

It`s still crazy trying to find gas, food, etc. I stopped to get gas tonight at the station up the street from me and their power was out again...crazy!!

How about you...you have any damage or anything? I hope you`re ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YNOT
    Yeah...lost it Wednesday night when the storm started and it didn`t come back on until Thursday night. Overall I can`t complain...many people are still without power 7 days later. I did go into work friday and we had that second storm which, luckily for me, knocked out power there, so I got to go home a bit early that day.

It`s still crazy trying to find gas, food, etc. I stopped to get gas tonight at the station up the street from me and their power was out again...crazy!!

How about you...you have any damage or anything? I hope you`re ok.
    I was actually at the Cardinals game when the storm came. I did almost got knocked in the head by a metal sign that flew off. It was pretty crazy down there.

Before it even started. This was around 7PM. The wind had just started blowing up dust:

I got home and saw everyone around me (44 and Arsenal) was out except for 3 houses including mine. Sweet, I think to myself until I wake up in the morning and see my electric had been cut off at 5AM Thursday morning. I used the generator from detailing to keep some stuff on. I mean I couldn`t go without getting on DC and vacuuming the car out. I got it back Sunday morning. I didn`t have more than a few twigs down in my yard though. I guess you didn`t have any damage?

That is crazy with the power going out again. I guess it has to do with them trying to fix everything so fast and not doing it right. When you have 5-6 hundred thousand houses and businesses out of power, you kinda have to move fast.

BTW, what size Ridgid vac do you have?

Post Thanks / Like

I guess you didn`t have any damage?
    I had a few branches down, not too mention I had to throw away a ton of food that was bad from lack of power, but other than that we were lucky. Many of my neighbors had trees and lines down.

BTW, what size Ridgid vac do you have?
    I`ve got the WD4050...it`s a small one, but it`s powerful!

Thread Information