Post Thanks / Like

Which is stronger - APC+ or Purple Power for carpets?

I am working on very old stains on old carpets, I mean 45 year old carpets. Even though they are old they are quite durable.
    Is there something better than what I`ve mentioned to make a improvement?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which is stronger - APC+ or Purple Power for carpets?

Ive learned that sometimes the stain is just permanent specially after that many years I would guess. APC+ isnt available anymore so do you have some? Id guess the PP is stronger.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

So I bought the APC and another container of Folex. After inundating the particular heavily stained areas with Folex and alot of scrubbing with a toothbrush and a small detail brush, creating alot of foam, went over the whole carpet with APC and the toothbrush and small brush. Washed down the whole carpet with hot water and vacuumed up the excess water with the shop vac.
    Total time spent, a little over 2 hrs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

bcgreen !
    Wow ! You did a Great Job !!!!
    What a difference !!
    Looks like you have a plan and process, I am so proud of you !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, that`s awfully impressive, let alone for just ~two hours` work!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, one piece at a time. I didn`t realize how many pieces go into the medium size 2 door. Leaving the carpets under driver and passenger feet for the last because that is what people see first. At this point I should have my techniq. down. Wish I could bring back the original shade but it is definitely an improvement.

Post Thanks / Like

bcgreen:
    I would not recommend Purple Power for carpet cleaning, even if the label says it can be used for such. I think the de-greasing agents/chemicals might (emphasize MIGHT) be a little too strong for aging carpet backing and make it more brittle than it already is.

I do have a suggestion for you: take it to carpet cleaning service and let them "demonstrate" their cleaning process to you. Some services will do it; most will not. I did this with a carpet runner (a piece of carpet made from the same carpet on the floor, used to protect high-traffic areas from wear and dirt, like a throw rug) from my home and brought it to them to see if they would clean it. My intent was not only to see their process, but get my carpet runner clean. I said, "If you cannot get this runner clean, you will never get my floor carpet clean."
    My REAL reason is that most home carpet cleaning services want to "demonstrate" their cleaning abilities in your home. When they do, you have this small, but cleaner, area of carpet in your home. Of course, then, you want to have them do the entire room to "match" the small area and not stick out like a sore thumb, for their carpet cleaning service charge, which is how they drum up business. I tell them let me bring in my carpet runner to your shop or mobile service home and you demonstrate it there, THEN I will see if I want to use (and buy) your service. Most will not comply with that request, for obvious reasons; it is not how they drum up business.

There is a business near me that sells both high-end carpeting and flooring and professional carpet & floor cleaning extractors and related equipment (Mytee and Tennant). They have offered to demo such equipment for me. (I bought small sample bottles & sprays of carpet cleaning chemicals from them for use in my car detailing/cleaning, just to maintain some "good report" with them). If you can find such a business in your area, it might be an opportunity for to have your car carpets cleaned this way and it will save you some time and effort.

Seems, though, you`ve got your process down for cleaning your carpet "manually". (IE, elbow grease).
    If you still have Meg`s Detailer Line D103 All-Purpose Cleaner Plus, keep it around for cleaning carpets. It was reportedly formulated for use with carpet extractors due to its low-foaming characteristics. See this thread on it being discontinued:
    megs D103 being discontinued

I use Optimum Polymer Technologies` Carpet Cleaner and Protectant myself. Works wonders on older stains. I once used their Power Clean, a strong de-greaser or all-purpose cleaner, but the industrial-strength fragrance (AKA odor) it leaves behind lingers FOREVER in fabric material and it was "unpleasant", at least to my olfactories. Their carpet cleaner is SOOO much better smelling. For spot stain cleaning, you can use the carpet cleaner full strength, rather than the recommended dilution ratio of 3:1 (water-to-product) for general carpet cleaning.
    GB detailer
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    bcgreen:
    I would not recommend Purple Power for carpet cleaning, even if the label says it can be used for such. I think the de-greasing agents/chemicals might (emphasize MIGHT) be a little too strong for aging carpet backing and make it more brittle than it already is.

I do have a suggestion for you: take it to carpet cleaning service and let them "demonstrate" their cleaning process to you. Some services will do it; most will not. I did this with a carpet runner (a piece of carpet made from the same carpet on the floor, used to protect high-traffic areas from wear and dirt, like a throw rug) from my home and brought it to them to see if they would clean it. My intent was not only to see their process, but get my carpet runner clean. I said, "If you cannot get this runner clean, you will never get my floor carpet clean."
    My REAL reason is that most home carpet cleaning services want to "demonstrate" their cleaning abilities in your home. When they do, you have this small, but cleaner, area of carpet in your home. Of course, then, you want to have them do the entire room to "match" the small area and not stick out like a sore thumb, for their carpet cleaning service charge, which is how they drum up business. I tell them let me bring in my carpet runner to your shop or mobile service home and you demonstrate it there, THEN I will see if I want to use (and buy) your service. Most will not comply with that request, for obvious reasons; it is not how they drum up business.

There is a business near me that sells both high-end carpeting and flooring and professional carpet & floor cleaning extractors and related equipment (Mytee and Tennant). They have offered to demo such equipment for me. (I bought small sample bottles & sprays of carpet cleaning chemicals from them for use in my car detailing/cleaning, just to maintain some "good report" with them). If you can find such a business in your area, it might be an opportunity for to have your car carpets cleaned this way and it will save you some time and effort.

Seems, though, you`ve got your process down for cleaning your carpet "manually". (IE, elbow grease).
    If you still have Meg`s Detailer Line D103 All-Purpose Cleaner Plus, keep it around for cleaning carpets. It was reportedly formulated for use with carpet extractors due to its low-foaming characteristics. See this thread on it being discontinued:
    megs D103 being discontinued

I use Optimum Polymer Technologies` Carpet Cleaner and Protectant myself. Works wonders on older stains. I once used their Power Clean, a strong de-greaser or all-purpose cleaner, but the industrial-strength fragrance (AKA odor) it leaves behind lingers FOREVER in fabric material and it was "unpleasant", at least to my olfactories. Their carpet cleaner is SOOO much better smelling. For spot stain cleaning, you can use the carpet cleaner full strength, rather than the recommended dilution ratio of 3:1 (water-to-product) for general carpet cleaning.
    One of the few detailers here was willing to try but I gave it a try with the APC since there is no Plus any more. The results on my part that I got were as good as I could get and Folex did more than I thought it was capable of as a few others here have experienced.

Thread Information