Post Thanks / Like

Big Move for Final Inspection Auto Detailing

So as of late I haven`t got the chance to post as much. I`m in the heart of busy season and have been going crazy and I apologize for the absence.

That being said after a long back and forth discussion and debates we have found another property and will be moving.

No worries as we are staying in the same little town of Rochester Ma and only a few miles away.

The best part is it`s on 6 acres with a decent 1700sqft house and the best part is a 40x60 Morton building with 4 horse stalls already in the back of the building.

The plan is to pour a 6in 30x40 slab and put up a dividing wall to separate my shop from my wife`s horses. We will install a drain, electrical etc etc and I`ll finally have my ideal shop!!!

Closing date is June 30th and we will begin moving that day.

IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes Coleroad, Stokdgs, Tc99m, Oneheadlite, The Guz liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big Move for Final Inspection Auto Detailing

Congratulations, that sounds wonderful for the both of you.
    Making someone else happy, is one of the best feelings.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Justin !
    Just Beautiful !!!! I love all those big, tall, green trees !!!

Your plan for the Shop and Horses sounds great ! Like those solar panels on the roof too !

Hope all continues to go well for you guys !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Justin !
    Just Beautiful !!!! I love all those big, tall, green trees !!!

Your plan for the Shop and Horses sounds great ! Like those solar panels on the roof too !

Hope all continues to go well for you guys !
    Dan F
    Absolutely Dan. Very blessed to be able to make this happen. We definitely have our work cutout for us lol

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats - that`s really going to be step up for you and the family!

Post Thanks / Like

Justins00ss:
    When installing a floor drain in your shop/stable, just make sure it meets local ordinance plumbing codes. Not knowing what your state and or town local has in place for such ordinances, it may require the installation of an accessible and serviceable oil/grease trap. I also assume that doing this renovation/addition/improvements to the metal building requires buying a local building permit of some sort from the local government agency/department, which will also require a building inspection during and after this construction work. Sometimes before a building permit is issued, it may require you to submit a "plan" or scope of the construction project, either written out and/or including hand-sketched or computer-aided design (CAD) floor plans and detailed drawings of the work to be done for approval by a building board/inspection department.
    I say this to avoid any building snafus that some homeowners and do-it-yourselfers run into when they start such a building project by themselves, only to have a local government building inspector show up and shut down a project half-way through because you do not have the proper permits or worse, to undo or rip out your work so it can be "properly" inspected (electrical wiring and plumbing behind newly sheet-rocked or sprayed foam insulation walls are good examples).
    The REAL reason that building permits are issued is so that your "improvements" can be properly assessed in added-value to your building`s worth and taxed accordingly with a property tax by your local government (assuming the state of Massachusetts has such tax laws). Of course, in "little towns" everyone know everybody else, so you may know who the local property assessor and/or building inspector is/are.

Are the solar panels for heating or for electrical power?? I am assuming they look more for heating.

What kind of lighting are you planning to install??

On other caveat that you may not of though of is having animals next to your shop in the same building. Will your horses mind having the louder noise from power tools, like buffers, make during the day? Are you planning to sound-proof the partition between them in some way?
    And will your customers mind having animal smells in your shop when their vehicle is being detailed in the same building? Living in the dairy state of Wisconsin and growing up in a rural area, I know what those smells are like from farm animal husbandry. At least horses are rather "minimal". (Sorry if I come off as a poop-head!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Justins00ss:
    When installing a floor drain in your shop/stable, just make sure it meets local ordinance plumbing codes. Not knowing what your state and or town local has in place for such ordinances, it may require the installation of an accessible and serviceable oil/grease trap. I also assume that doing this renovation/addition/improvements to the metal building requires buying a local building permit of some sort from the local government agency/department, which will also require a building inspection during and after this construction work. Sometimes before a building permit is issued, it may require you to submit a "plan" or scope of the construction project, either written out and/or including hand-sketched or computer-aided design (CAD) floor plans and detailed drawings of the work to be done for approval by a building board/inspection department.
    I say this to avoid any building snafus that some homeowners and do-it-yourselfers run into when they start such a building project by themselves, only to have a local government building inspector show up and shut down a project half-way through because you do not have the proper permits or worse, to undo or rip out your work so it can be "properly" inspected (electrical wiring and plumbing behind newly sheet-rocked or sprayed foam insulation walls are good examples).
    The REAL reason that building permits are issued is so that your "improvements" can be properly assessed in added-value to your building`s worth and taxed accordingly with a property tax by your local government (assuming the state of Massachusetts has such tax laws). Of course, in "little towns" everyone know everybody else, so you may know who the local property assessor and/or building inspector is/are.

Are the solar panels for heating or for electrical power?? I am assuming they look more for heating.

What kind of lighting are you planning to install??

On other caveat that you may not of though of is having animals next to your shop in the same building. Will your horses mind having the louder noise from power tools, like buffers, make during the day? Are you planning to sound-proof the partition between them in some way?
    And will your customers mind having animal smells in your shop when their vehicle is being detailed in the same building? Living in the dairy state of Wisconsin and growing up in a rural area, I know what those smells are like from farm animal husbandry. At least horses are rather "minimal". (Sorry if I come off as a poop-head!)

So I`m going to make this simple. So because it`s not original construction I can get away without a permit. Although they want a permit to replace a damn window nowadays so I take it with a grain of salt. So no permit.

Now as for a drain I`m installing a dry well under the slab using 2 55gal drums plumbed together staggered height . Each with holes drilled into them and with stone in each barrel and in the bottom of the hole for drainage.

As for the noise they will have to learn to deal with it. As for the wall it will be insulated and that`s it. If customers have an issue then so be it but it`s not going to change. There`s no getting away from horse smell lol.

For lighting I`ll run some 5k led lights in the ceiling etc. Then purchase a couple scan grip multi match lights on rolling tri pods so I can work wherever.

Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

After smelling horse when writing out their check, their car will smell great pulling onto the road again!

Good luck with the new house and adventure!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback on building permitting for your area and the drain design. Your state and local building requirements are much "different" than Wisconsin.

Hope the horses don`t mind the noise and the customers don`t mind the horses. You know your horses and customers better than I do.
    GB detailer

Thread Information