Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Wait 12 hours for wax after Jetseal?

Ok guys, I think I screwed up. I just got done doing everything up to the Jetseal because thats what I have on hand. I read on there that it should not get wet for 12 hours. Does that mean I should wait 12 hours to put the Meguiar`s ceramic spray wax on? What if I already sprayed the hood with the wax lol? It does not seem to be coming off easily and leaving streaks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wait 12 hours for wax after Jetseal?

Do you mean it SHOULDN`T get wet for 12 hours?

If you`re getting streaks w spray wax - try spraying the product on the MF first then applying it to the surface that way. Don`t spray the panel directly.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

On the back of the bottle it says let it cure for 12 hours and dont let it get wet... Is a spray wax considered "wet" or do they just mean washing the car and rain?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    Do you mean it SHOULDN`T get wet for 12 hours?

If you`re getting streaks w spray wax - try spraying the product on the MF first then applying it to the surface that way. Don`t spray the panel directly.
    Yes, edited post

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t help w the Jetseal question because I very rarely use Chemical Guys products but If you`re concerned about what you did on the hood - you can remove what is on there using some CarPro Eraser or even alcohol and distilled water and just reapply the Jetseal.

IPA Dilution
    Likes Mustang19, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mustang19- While I`m not familiar with either product...

-The "24 hour wait" is generally a suggestion as there`s nothing magical about 24 hours. But when something needs that long to set up/cure/whatever-it-does that`s generally worth waiting for.

-Sometimes/often (IME) fogging the surface with your breath will provide just enough moisture to allow you to buff things clear. Might be worth a try (NO I don`t see this as conflicting with the "don`t get it wet").

-Otherwise, as dschribs noted, often it`s a lot better overall to just redo the LSPing of a limited area rather than [messing] around too long trying to fix it. A hood isn`t the smallest panel you could be dealing with, but a redo shouldn`t be all *that* awful and hey...lesson learned about one corner you can`t cut in the future (and IMO that`s worth something! Hey, it could`ve worked out OK and that would`ve been good to know too).

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I interpret this as not getting the area wet, period... With anything...

But not to worry, the C/G product will probably not last very long anyway..
    Good luck with this ..
    DanF
    Likes dschribs, Scrapyard liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hybrid Ceramic Wax needs water for it to work. If you are getting streaks you are using too much product. Like remove like so you may want to hit that panel again.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I just went over it with IPA and will redo the Jetseal. I didnt realize the wax needed to be applied when wet, it says for the first coat to apply then wipe off. Apparently they mean when the car is still wet after washing it. Oh well, lesson learned. Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Mustang19- So did the IPA strip it down OK? Just curious as it`s never been all that great at such jobs for me (when it worked at all).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I interpret this as not getting the area wet, period... With anything...

But not to worry, the C/G product will probably not last very long anyway..
    Good luck with this ..
    DanF
    I agree with this comment. When I got into buying detailing products last year I bought a lot of CG’s stuff. I did a full detail of my daily driver and did a fair job of maintenance washes and upkeep on it. The jet seal didn’t last more than 2 months. You’d be better off buying Jescar Powerlock IMHO.

But that being said, I’d mix some APC or something in my wash bucket for my next wash, the. Go over with with something like CarPro Eraser and even your IPA you said about. Then reapply the Jetseal and let it cure for a week and then on your next maintenance wash put the ceramic wax on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I used the IPA 17% solution and it seemed to work fine. Then I applied the Jetseal (I bought this at autozone before doing much research, only reason I have it), waited 16 hours and applied the hybrid ceramic wax. I am not impressed with the Meguiar`s, it streaked a ton and smeared more than anything. Maybe it was my error, but it seems to be pretty finicky with applying too much or not enough water or whatever the case may be.

Post Thanks / Like

Mustang19- Oh sheesh, that must be frustrating. (BTW, glad the IPA worked fine after all, seems to work better for a lot of people than it does for me.)

I myself don`t struggle much with finicky products, but I understand wanting to use something you spent good $ for.

What`s your plan now..I bet stripping things off and redoing is getting kinda old!

Post Thanks / Like

Mustang19 - I`ve heard the streaking complaint enough that I opted out of trying that product. Originally, I thought you couldn`t use it over an existing sealant, but according to Meguiars, you can. I`ve also heard that if it streaks, you simply need to apply a small amount to that area and remove with a clean microfiber, and it will take care of the streaking. I could not live with the streaks, and would go so far as to strip it all the way if thats what it took. But, I`m a little goofy that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang19 View Post
    I just went over it with IPA and will redo the Jetseal. I didnt realize the wax needed to be applied when wet, it says for the first coat to apply then wipe off. Apparently they mean when the car is still wet after washing it. Oh well, lesson learned. Thanks guys.
    I’ve never used Megs HCW but I believe you’re correct that the first application is recommended as a simple, dry spray and wipe to set a solid foundation. But doing it with water wouldn’t hurt or be wrong. If it’s streaking it’s because it’s just finicky during normal usage I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information