Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anybody still using wax?

Reluctantly, I embraced science a few years back and began using sealants, and more recently, SIO2 sprays. In the last few months, with extra at-home time, I have been revisiting my wax collection. A few nights ago i waxed an already-sealed front bumper on my garaged car with Lusso Oro, and the difference in depth and gloss was not subtle. I have since waxed other panels with various luxury waxes (Chockwork Orange, Blue Vevet, Mitchell & King, Pete’s 53, 915) and, while it was fun and nostalgic, and the car just pops, I’m wondering... am I alone in this endeavor? It seems folks in England are still wasting wax, but I feel Wax is dead here. Thoughts?
    Likes Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anybody still using wax?

p.s. I wonder if an Autopia associate can chime in on the subject? Are wax sales still strong?
    Dislikes skibik disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I still wax. Wolfgang Fuzion on the driver and Souveran on the garage queens. I don’t mind doing it every 3-4 months. I desire that carnauba glow!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes lennyk, WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we`re not counting FK1000P High-Temp Paste Wax as a, uhm..."wax", right?

I do use OCW on my wife`s A8 and both that and Meguiar`s UQW on some areas of some vehicles.

I use 845 on a few areas of the `93 Audi.

I always used either Malm`s or Souveran (on top of Autoglym SRP) on the Jag, but I dunno what I`ll use on it should it ever come out of mothballs..

But my M16 and 476S are probably never gonna get used again. While I can appreciate the "look of wax", that appreciation has become, for me, basically theoretical. These days I just care about durability, protection, and not making this stuff hard on myself.

Post Thanks / Like

I still use Nuba on 90% of the vehicles I detail. With a collection of over 250 waxes, I have the pick of the litter. While coatings can’t be denied for their durability and crazy gloss. That gloss is almost plasticy looking tho IMO.

The look of a good wax can not be beat. The glow, depth, warmth, wet look are all things coatings and most sealants can’t provide.

While I do get coating jobs, most of my jobs are repeat customers and do not want or need the longer durability. Some also don’t care for the price. I let the customer make educated decisions with my honest input on pros and cons of LSP’s

I have really been enjoying waxing since I got The Flex PiXiE also. 3 or 3.5 inch pads will fit in just about every pot of Nuba. I prefer to machine apply wax. This is easy and allows for an ultra thin application allowing easy removal of even the more difficult waxes to work with. And the fact that the PiXiE is cordless makes it sooo easy to use.

I don’t plan on giving up Nubas anytime soon.
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dr Oldz- Good point about how well Paste Waxing by Machine can work! I bet that cordless does indeed make it go even better.

Heh heh, I must be assimilating what`s in your posts as I somehow figured you were still using waxes a lot! I *do* agree with you on the looks, at least on some paints (even though I no longer value that so much). It took me a while to get used to how my beloved FK1000P looks on come of my vehicles, most recently that dark blue pearl `93, which sure looked super with a good paste wax on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I still use P21S, Collinite and Fk.

Post Thanks / Like

If I lived in a warmer climate and had more time on my hands or owned a garage queen, I`d still use wax.

As-is, waxes aren`t durable enough to make it through a winter in my area. Add to that the way the attract pollen/dust, the upkeep to keep a wax looking good is more time than I can afford to give. Back in the early 2000`s I used One Grand Blitz Wax and the stuff looked amazing. However, it only lasted about three months at most. I was constantly having to apply a new coat.

For daily drivers I can`t afford the time to use a wax. However, if I ever get that dark colored sports car which only comes out on weekends, autocrosses, and other fun drives, you can be sure it will wear a carnauba.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I still apply Blackfire Midnight Sun. I like the look and the car is garaged, so durability is increased.

Post Thanks / Like

On the "family" cars I`ll put a coat of Zymol Carbon over Duragloss 111.

I use Meguiar`s M26 on some of the show cars I do.

I also offer it as an update over a sealant (DG111) to customers.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I`ve tried the coating. I am hooked on it for multiple reasons. That said, days like today I would love to go wax the camaro. I like waxing as a leisure thing, having to do it when I don`t want too. I don`t miss that at all. Budgetplan has me jonesing to try the polish angle high gloss paste wax. We will see if i can refrain from buying it.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Broke out the can of Natty`s Black since I don`t have much else to do, outside of schooling.

Post Thanks / Like

I have wax candles that i can use to look at my glossy coatingAnybody still using wax?Anybody still using wax?.....

I was for a while looking for a good wax to top my coated car with. Didn’t seem like to most wasn’t a good idea or were recommended to try a sio2 wax.

I don’t think a sio2 would give me that nauba glow and i dont want to spend 60-100 dollars on good wax to “try”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I use ceramic waxes still. Spray waxes on occasion. Traditional carnauba paste waxes I haven’t used much in the past year but generally put these on in fall and throughout wi tee when dust is a non-factor.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never been able to do a complete break from nuba and probably use it more now than I used to. Unlike with Accumulator. looks are what blow my dress up. I often use either Megs Hi-Tech Yellow or S100 and about once a month I`ll do a quick spray with DGAW. Since I`m a geezer and almost criminally lazy, easy is paramount.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information