Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anybody still using wax?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    And since Wax Addict is the Original Posted (OP) to this thread, I do like his "secret formula" Monster Mash Wax that he sent me around Halloween in 2018. It`s a great cleaner wax with a lot of bling but the durability is "average". Still a great wax.
    I really like that you posted about liking a "cleaner wax". Those get a bum rap IMO, it`s not like they`re all categorically lousy by a long shot. And one could do a lot worse that a cleaner wax with a straight wax topper...the same approach that worked so well 40 years ago is still good now and you can even tweak that to include compatible synthetics (the way I see my usual approach).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I still use Nuba on 90% of the vehicles I detail. With a collection of over 250 waxes, I have the pick of the litter. While coatings can’t be denied for their durability and crazy gloss. That gloss is almost plasticy looking tho IMO. .......
    Whoa, whoa, whoa.. 250 waxes???? That just begs to ask the question:
    What are your personal top 10 wax choices AND what do you like about each one??
    I assume that some of them must be of an older, no-longer-made vintage and stored and preserved in a refrigerated cooler.
    I am also pretty sure you have some waxes most Autopians, including myself, have never heard about, let alone seen.
    One of my favorites is called Carnauba Classic Car Wax (The ORIGINAL Carnauba Car Wax since 1952) produced by Classic Appearance Products, Inc, in Luagua Hills, CA; Stock No. 40012. Still have the empty black tin with its yellow/gold "Classic" oval logo. I think I got this wax at Kmart on closeout for $4.00 in 1997! No, its not SwissVax or Zymol pedigree. More like P21S pedigree.
    (Hey, some individuals have vintage wines; you`ve got vintage carnauba waxes worth more than many vintage wines... just sayin`.)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Reluctantly, I embraced science a few years back and began using sealants, and more recently, SIO2 sprays. In the last few months, with extra at-home time, I have been revisiting my wax collection. A few nights ago i waxed an already-sealed front bumper on my garaged car with Lusso Oro, and the difference in depth and gloss was not subtle. I have since waxed other panels with various luxury waxes (Chockwork Orange, Blue Vevet, Mitchell & King, Pete’s 53, 915) and, while it was fun and nostalgic, and the car just pops, I’m wondering... am I alone in this endeavor? It seems folks in England are still wasting wax, but I feel Wax is dead here. Thoughts?
    after being out of the industry for 15 yrs I keep researching about ceramics and am not impressed. I am going back to a sealant and carnauba topper as my go to. If and only if graphene proves as "deep" and as "wet looking", only then will I make the cross over.

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa, whoa, whoa.. 250 waxes???? That just begs to ask the question:
    What are your personal top 10 wax choices AND what do you like about each one??
    I assume that some of them must be of an older, no-longer-made vintage and stored and preserved in a refrigerated cooler.
    I am also pretty sure you have some waxes most Autopians, including myself, have never heard about, let alone seen.
    One of my favorites is called Carnauba Classic Car Wax (The ORIGINAL Carnauba Car Wax since 1952) produced by Classic Appearance Products, Inc, in Luagua Hills, CA; Stock No. 40012. Still have the empty black tin with its yellow/gold "Classic" oval logo. I think I got this wax at Kmart on closeout for $4.00 in 1997! No, its not SwissVax or Zymol pedigree. More like P21S pedigree.
    (Hey, some individuals have vintage wines; you`ve got vintage carnauba waxes worth more than many vintage wines... just sayin`.)
    Honestly not much is vintage. I do have some very under the radar stuff on tho.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorites is called Carnauba Classic Car Wax (The ORIGINAL Carnauba Car Wax since 1952) produced by Classic Appearance Products, Inc, in Luagua Hills, CA; Stock No. 40012...
    I *think* that their Cleaner Wax was what I used back in the mid-`70s instead of the M07/M16 combo when I didn`t want to work so hard. I remember a black tin and can almost remember the script on it (maybe a cursive "Classic")...it was a mauve-colored, somewhat granular, product that didn`t clean nearly as well as the Meg`s Mirror Glaze cleanerwax but did last longer. Or at least that`s how I remember it...

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s some uses for re-purposing carnauba waxes no longer being used that I post in another thread about that very question:

(Please do not laugh at some of them; remember I am "a seasoned detailer" with "experience")

1) Snow-blower chutes and lawnmower under-decks to keep snow and wet grass from sticking, respectively.
    2) Slide rule inner log linear vernier (AKA, moving stick part) (Don`t ask what a slide rule is unless you are an engineer or mathematician)
    3) Kid`s bicycles (Good way to develop relationships with neighborhood young people, plus the bad ones do not egg your house at Halloween or in their later years in High School, at Homecoming time. Just sayin`...)
    4) Appliances (especially painted/powder coated refrigerators at holiday time; guests and family are dumbfounded with the shine)
    5) Wooden drawer slides or glides
    6) Driving in nails or screws in hardwoods (an old woodworker`s and carpenter`s trick)
    7) Air conditioner compressor housings or generator enclosures (service tech`s cannot believe what they see)
    8) Painted metal doors (especially white painted aluminum screen or outer doors)
    9) Wood doors edges that are tight in the frame (like those that swell in summer)
    10) Model metal car collections (S100 makes my unboxed 1/24-scale 911 Porsches ready for the holidays)
    11) Varnished wood acoustic guitars or colored lacquer electric guitars(Meg`s M16 was actually a preferred wax by some guitar makers)
    12) Metal or plastic playground slides (Use caution: taller slides can REALLY send small kids flying if adults are unaware of a "waxed" slide, as the kid becomes a small projectile that the adult may not catch or get knocked over with at the slide end)
    13) Toboggan or saucer bottoms (MUCH cheaper than ski wax)
    14) Snow shovels for wet snow OR Dirt shovels or spades for clay (Works REALLY well)
    15) Linoleum or tile floors for sliding across with wool socks on for the longest-distance slide "competitions" (OK, I did this as a kid and it was HIGHLY dangerous and frowned upon by my parents, not to mention the "difficulty" in removing with ammonia cleaners and elbow grease by said applicator!!)
    16) Bathroom porcelain sinks and toilets and fiberglass shower stalls (DO NOT do the toilet seat!! Women will slide off; NOT pretty especially if it is your Mom or significant other)
    17) Black leather shoes as an emergency shoe-polish substitute (Patten-leather REALLY likes M16)

As you can see, I have used carnauba waxes for a lot of "non-vehicle" applications, model cars and bikes as the exceptions.
    GB detailer
    Likes dwaleke liked this post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information