Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anybody still using wax?

I still prefer the depth and glow of carnauba over the (for me) too mirror-like finish from ceramics.

Though I am intrigued and very tempted by the longevity of ceramic.
    Rollin Isbell

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" - Don Chu Know by Jimmy Buffett
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by E-Jag View Post
    I often use either Megs Hi-Tech Yellow or S100..
    That`s interesting to me as I consider M26 and P21s (I`m *@$$uming..uh-oh!..that S100 is still = P21s`s "regular wax") to look totally different. I found the latter to look a lot like M16 (only without the durability).

Post Thanks / Like

This is wonderful! I`m glad to see I`m not alone. It is frustrating here in Florida for the summer sun to boil off all that hard work in a matter of weeks, but that`s generally for about 5 months. Otherwise I get a month out of something like P21S, Lusso Oro, and Rainforest Rub, and up to 3 months out of Natty`s, Pete`s 53, 915, and DoDo pro waxes. But I have found longevity also depends on the car. For instance, I had a Volvo V70 that just ate LSPs.

Wolfgang sealant was (is) a great wax alternative. But my favorite wax alternative has been Polish Angel Presto. It`s chunky with carnauba, but has SiO2 and TiO2 (I think).

I think it`s the experience as much as the end result. A spritz and a wipe of Gtechniq C2 V3 may last longer and be half the price of Obi Dan Karnubi Chockwork Orange, but guess which one is SO MUCH FUNNER and LOOKS AMAZING? Even if it is just for 15 minutes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    This is wonderful! I`m glad to see I`m not alone. It is frustrating here in Florida for the summer sun to boil off all that hard work in a matter of weeks, but that`s generally for about 5 months. Otherwise I get a month out of something like P21S, Lusso Oro, and Rainforest Rub, and up to 3 months out of Natty`s, Pete`s 53, 915, and DoDo pro waxes. But I have found longevity also depends on the car. For instance, I had a Volvo V70 that just ate LSPs.

Wolfgang sealant was (is) a great wax alternative. But my favorite wax alternative has been Polish Angel Presto. It`s chunky with carnauba, but has SiO2 and TiO2 (I think).

I think it`s the experience as much as the end result. A spritz and a wipe of Gtechniq C2 V3 may last longer and be half the price of Obi Dan Karnubi Chockwork Orange, but guess which one is SO MUCH FUNNER and LOOKS AMAZING? Even if it is juct for 15 minutes
    Presto does have SiO2 / TiO2 along with carnauba.

My Acura also seems to be eating LSPs lately. Maybe soft paint or whatever. Nothing’s lasting on it as long as expected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Presto does have SiO2 / TiO2 along with carnauba.
    I love Presto, it`s in my top 3 of all-time favorite detailing products. But some people hate it. It`s the perfect example of Accumulator`s favorite acronym "YMMV".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    I love Presto, it`s in my top 3 of all-time favorite detailing products. But some people hate it. It`s the perfect example of Accumulator`s favorite acronym "YMMV".
    Wow, that’s high praise. I used it on a panel here and there but never for normal use. I’ll give it a try early next week and let you know what MMMB “my mileage may be”.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny... I am just now finishing up a full detail of my new Malibu, to which I sealed with PA , then a coat of PA Famous. Those two will be my base sealant layer.
    When I go to wash her in a day or two. I want to put a wax layer then top with Gold Zircon, but I can`t decide what wax.
    Looking at using a red wax, Vic`s red paste or PA`s red Opel or PBs red or this pink whipped stuff I really enjoy using, or, or, or ???????

Post Thanks / Like

I use wax on garage queens and show cars. Adam`s Brilliant Glaze topped with Americana always gives a great look. For daily cars it is sealants, even on my own cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I have about a gallon of different spray waxes that I need to use before purchasing more of what I really enjoy using. I will say the the filling abilities of these spray waxes is quite nice, applying a spray wax is also a nice time fill during the current moment. I have a tin of Natty`s Black and 476S that I`ve been contemplating getting rid of as I don`t see myself using them anytime in the near or distant future. Still using the FK1000P though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    I have about a gallon of different spray waxes that I need to use before purchasing more of what I really enjoy using...
    Undercarriages and wheelwells come to mind I simply love being able to do those areas with SprayWaxes.

I will say the the filling abilities of these spray waxes is quite nice..
    Gee, which ones do that? Never noticed it with either OCW or Meg`s UQW, but those are the only SprayWaxes I`ve used.

I have a tin of Natty`s Black and 476S that I`ve been contemplating getting rid of as I don`t see myself using them anytime in the near or distant future. Still using the FK1000P though.
    Yeah, I have tins of 476S that`ll never get used..pre-VOC stuff too. I tried selling `em on eBay but got little traction...did get a few Autopians to buy some of my M16 though

But on man that 476S did look nice on the blue Audi, even if I have come to appreciate the FK on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Yeah, I have tins of 476S that`ll never get used..pre-VOC stuff too. I tried selling `em on eBay but got little traction...did get a few Autopians to buy some of my M16 though

But on man that 476S did look nice on the blue Audi, even if I have come to appreciate the FK on it.
    How much were you looking to get for the 476S and M16? Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Undercarriages and wheelwells come to mind I simply love being able to do those areas with SprayWaxes.

Gee, which ones do that? Never noticed it with either OCW or Meg`s UQW, but those are the only SprayWaxes I`ve used.

Meguiar`s D156 at full strength and cut 50:50 with water and Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax fill toweling marks quite nicely (on dark colors), they certainly won`t fill deeper marks like a glaze does. I like coatings for wheel wells, they last much longer. Regarding 476S, I have done a couple of dark cars with it, and it does look really nice, I just don`t use it as often as FK1000P, because I find the FK to be superior in protection.

For any that are interested, I would be willing to part with the 476S.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    Meguiar`s D156 at full strength and cut 50:50 with water and Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax fill toweling marks quite nicely (on dark colors), they certainly won`t fill deeper marks like a glaze does.
    That was almost a setup on my part...I was specifically wondering whether you`d mention D156/UQW That`s the one I tried on the `93 Audi, a perfect candidate for a filling evaluation. Nichts. No diff in whether any of the marring was visible, not even the very lightest stuff that I did eventually cross my fingers and polish out (just *gotta* quit abrading that one!), stuff that required really careful inspection under controlled conditions (nobody else could even see it) and that a heavy glaze would indeed conceal for a little while. Interesting....you`re not the only person whose experienced that with the meg`s stuff, but it just didn`t work out that way for me

I like coatings for wheel wells, they last much longer.
    But wouldn`t redoing the coatings require polishing/etc.? That`s a *huge* PIA for me for the wells in question, some of which aren`t "smooth paint" and can`t be abraded period for practical purposes.

Since they get wiped down ever wash anyhow, doing that with a towel that has some SprayWax on it seems like a "no added work" approach...I hardly ever even bother doing what I used to: AIO/proper LSP/then maintain with Spray. Just doing the spray seems sufficient as long as I clean `em really well every time.

Heh heh, I`ll also point out that if I worry about high spots/etc. on the hood, I`d never deal with `em in the wells

I`m not arguing let alone flaming the approach, just wondering whether I`m missing something...

Regarding 476S, I have done a couple of dark cars with it, and it does look really nice, I just don`t use it as often as FK1000P, because I find the FK to be superior in protection.
    Exact same experience here, though some do find the Collinite lasts/protects *longer* for some reason...which I`m still curious about.

Post Thanks / Like

For me its Collinite 915 Marque D`Elegance wax. I just like its ease of wipe-on-wipe-off (WOWO) application and its great carnauba look coupled with its durability. That is my old-school approach to detailing.

And since Wax Addict is the Original Posted (OP) to this thread, I do like his "secret formula" Monster Mash Wax that he sent me around Halloween in 2018. It`s a great cleaner wax with a lot of bling but the durability is "average". Still a great wax.

I make reference to the viability of carnauba wax back in January 2015 in this thread:
    Are carnuaba waxes an obsoleted car-care product?? (Continuing on the great debate...)
    Makes for some "interesting" perspective on this LSP, even back then. What is REALLY prophetic is David Fermani`s post #37 about a coating coming in a can with waxing properties. Isn`t that what today`s SiO2-infused wipe-on LSP "wax" revolution is all about??
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I`m still using wax and sealants both. I guess that I have too much wax on hand but I still use it to top almost all my details. I normally top sealants with wax and always get great results. I can see not as many people using them now with all the ceramics.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information