Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Think it’s time to treat my leather seats

I’ve read a few topics about leather care
    So many different suggestions
    It is a 16 tundra
    All I have done is wipe them with water 2 or 3 times and of course vacuum never put any treatment of any kind on them yet
    Have some wrinkles now which is probably unavoidable
    It is perforated for the heat and AC
    Was looking at the pinnacle black label vinyl and leather coating
    And the leatherique rejuvenator
    I just don’t know what would be the best thing to put on them
    Since I bought the truck new I have always had a beach towel covering them
    Looking for a step in the right direction

They look lighter than what they really are in the picture because I was holding an LED floodlight in one hand and snapping the picture with the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think it’s time to treat my leather seats

Quote Originally Posted by Fishroes View Post
    I’ve read a few topics about leather care
    So many different suggestions
    It is a 16 tundra
    All I have done is wipe them with water 2 or 3 times and of course vacuum never put any treatment of any kind on them yet
    Have some wrinkles now which is probably unavoidable
    It is perforated for the heat and AC
    Was looking at the pinnacle black label vinyl and leather coating
    And the leatherique rejuvenator
    I just don’t know what would be the best thing to put on them
    Since I bought the truck new I have always had a beach towel covering them
    Looking for a step in the right direction

They look lighter than what they really are in the picture because I was holding an LED floodlight in one hand and snapping the picture with the other

Have you looked into cleaners? Those seats are most likely a coated version of vinyl. To keep things simple, I use P&S X-Press Interior Cleaner and Optimum Leather Protectant Plus or CarPro Perl at interior dilution. I like the Colourlock Leather & Textile Brush, I have the Trinova version. As well, The Rag Company has an interior scrub brush which actually has some type of felt on the bottom of it, the handle is yellow. TRC also has interior scrub mitt that I have my eyes on, too. Honestly, you’re doing the best type of protecting by keeping a towel over those seats.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the main thing I want to do is to prevent wrinkles if that is possible

Post Thanks / Like

I have a `16 Land Cruiser and based on your photos, it looks to be the same type of leather. I`ve used Leatherique for several years and think you would be very pleased with the results. (I also use it on my Porsche seats)

If you apply it and really work it into the surface and can let it sit for at least a day or longer, it will plump up the leather nicely and reduce the wrinkles.

Plenty of You Tube "how to" videos you can check out to see results before you buy it.

HTH
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am taking upon doing my interior. I am going to use a leather cleaner (Connolly) and then ceramic coat (Gyeon sheild) the leather.

The Leatherique looks interesting and would have maybe gave them a try... here’s a review by Mike Phillips from Autogeek

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ine-clean.html

I bought the Pinnacle Black Label L&V coating for the rest of the interior.

I chose the Gyeon LS coating for the leather as it’s a more durable protection than PBL coating. I like that the PBL can pretty much go on any interior surface

Rhe review was impressive I’d say give it a try and use the PBL on top

Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/blac...l#.Xp2nmm5Fxjo

BLACKFIRE leather complete. A AIO for leather. Great product! Been using it on my seats since my truck was new.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Coleroad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Mean Green hit it on the head - Like most "leather" interiors - your seats are a coated version of vinyl. And you`re right - wrinkles are probably unavoidable.

My opinion is that the best you can do is keep them clean. If you`re looking for something in terms of a protectant - I`d use 303.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve made an executive decision (lol)
    I will try the leatherique pristine clean only
    Don’t think they need rejuvenating yet
    Now awaiting autopia or Autogeek for a discount
    Good info given on this subject
    Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, I just let leather wrinkle/crease/etc. and keep it clean.

That said, I *absolutely* have successfully "conditioned" coated leather with wonderful, and undeniable, results when new-to-me vehicles had severely compromised seats. I figure it penetrates the micro-pores/fissures or something along those lines (don`t really know, just happy it works). But I wouldn`t fix what`s not broken.

I do keep a good Protectant (best I`ve used is from The Leather Doctor, but Leather Master`s stuff is OK too) on the ones that I really care about.

Fishroes- What convinced you that the Prestene [SIC] Clean is the right cleaner for those? Just curious (FWIW, I gave away my Leatherique stuff without ever trying it, being 100% satisfied with the others I have). I trust the Prestene leaves them slightly acidic, something that a *LOT* of leather cleaners don`t do.

Post Thanks / Like

Uzj100 said he’s been using it on Toyota leather/vinyl for several years and is pleased with the results
    Also watched mike Phillips video that coatings crack posted

Post Thanks / Like

Try Colourlock. They have kits for newer, cleaner leather, and older, dirty leather. Leather shield is a really nice Protectant to finish with. I would make sure you get one of their brushes as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Uzj100 said he’s been using it on Toyota leather/vinyl for several years and is pleased with the results
    Also watched mike Phillips video that coatings crack posted
    Fishroes. This is another video on Leatherique. Link to competitors retail detail site/store has been removed

And the Prestene would probably take care of your seats, at least based on the photos in your post. They look so well kept, that you may only need Rejuvenator once or twice a year?

HTH
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve made an executive decision (lol)
    I will try the leatherique pristine clean only
    Don’t think they need rejuvenating yet
    Now awaiting autopia or Autogeek for a discount
    Good info given on this subject
    Thanks!!

I would still use a conditioner/protectant on them to keep them supple/soft.... may crease less in future.

This is from Michael Stoops from Meguiars about coated leather seats. Leatherique will work on them but yours may not need it. Still should be conditioned or sealed

“The term "conditioner" can really be substituted with "moisturizer" as that`s the primary function of such products. The coating used on automotive leather is semi permeable and can dry out if neglected. Cleaning is really important as dirt becomes embedded in the very fine pores and fissures in the coating and as you slide in and out of the car this actually amplifies the severity of contact with the surface, speeding up the wear on the coating which will reveal the colored leather underneath. That surface is very delicate and will degrade further really fast. A moisturizer will not only help prevent the whole leather/colorant/coating from drying out, it will act almost as a lubricant that helps slow down the effects of ingress and egress.

Our Leather Sealer System takes this one step further (well, maybe two steps, actually) since it offers a dedicated cleaner that does an outstanding job of removing embedded dirt and stains, and a sealant that acts sort of like a sealant on your paint: a durable protectant that acts as a sacrificial barrier, taking the brunt of the abuse before the surface it`s protecting is subject to it.

Even modern, coated leather that has dried out to where it almost feels like cardboard can be brought back to a supple feel with a thorough treatment of Leatherique. Now, this is a fairly pricey product duo and the process is a bit messy and time consuming, but it`s cheap compared to replacing or even just reupholstering modern automobile seats. The fact that this product can do what it does should be proof enough that even that coating used on modern leather interiors is a semi-permeable membrane. Were it not, there`s no way in the world that Leatherique could possibly work.”

Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Didn’t think I mentioned these seats still feel like new
    the truck is not a daily driver
    It has been kept under a metal carport the first 3 years and now stays in the garage that was finished this past September
    thats why I was thinking just the pristine cleaner/protector for now
    Only has 23,000 miles

Post Thanks / Like

My experience with leather/seat bolsters has been that the creasing really just comes from crushing the bolsters when getting in and out. Easier (to me) in sports cars to find a way to support yourself while you drop in, but in a truck I guess you`ve gotta hoist yourself up there to get situated.

I`ll never forget selling a friend a car back in the day - I had sourced a set of pristine Recaros (MK2 Jetta, installed GLI seats). Saw him/the car a month later and he showed me the "sweet" aftermarket stereo he put in. He must have spent a good portion of the time sitting sideways across the thigh bolsters, as they were absolutely hammered (fabric abraded, foam broken down). I was sooo bummed out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information