Post Thanks / Like

Garage Chemistry 2.0 Ceramic coating experiments

This all started when Blackfire switched to there newer style labels. Back when this occurred PMBM sold their amazing blackfire products at a fraction of the normal cost simply because of the new label that came out. When they were doing this they also sold the rest of there first coating called crystal coat I believed it was pulled and no longer sold because of sealing issue with the container it was in. Their were a lot of complaints about the product curing and being difficult to apply once opened. 8oz of coating is a lot for anyone. So kudos to PMBG it was the right call to pull it....again I knew what I was getting into when purchasing.

I purchased a lot of these products already knowing about the defective seal on bottle that would let air in. The one deal they had was the original blackfire coating called crystal coat. This coating is very thick and very difficult to work with once exposed to air. They were selling 8oz bottles of this coating for $20. I purchased 6 bottles. For $120 I ended up with 48oz of this coating. I have attempted to apply it normally and it was doable but once that 8 oz bottle was opened some of it’s carrier solvent must have evaporated creating a very thick but useable coating. I have been experimenting with it ever since. I really like this coating, it is quartz based so sio2 particles suspended in resins and solvent. Solvents evaporates and your left with a nice thick coating of these sio2 particle glued together by the resins. Once opened the first use is fine but rest of 8oz bottle will turn to this thicker coating like 10 weight motor oil.

I have used it as a trim coating with great success. I was doing a free trim coating for first time customers and I was getting tipped nicely. Normal customer I promoted it as a trim coating 50% off. I also coated everything in my house from shower, leather sofa and an outdoor hot tub cover. The coating is a beast it is leaving a thick layer on what ever I coated. I left some out to dry it formed a glass like cube had an additional characteristic it was flexible like rubber.

I also have the coating on a set of wheels on a family members car that I cleaned recently. The car is neglected cleaned every once and a while but wheels are just sprayed with pressure washer.

I recently use megs wheel brigtner and scrubbed the wheels to my surprise coating was still there that’s what made me pull it back out. I have about 16 oz left and I want to use on paint again so I came up with this (hopefully good) Idea of ordering a spray coating to diluted this thick blackfire coating. I looked at the different options I was originally going to buy Wolfgangs new spray coating and mix them but.....Adams ran buy 1 get 1 free on 8 oz of their spray coating.

1st experiment is 50/50 mix - crystal coat / Adams spray coating just finished mixing it is now the viscosity of a normal coating I have it stored outside for next 72 hours to check for reactions before it goes on a test panel. 15mls blackfire,15 mils adams spray coating

I will be experimenting further with these coatings.

Waxmode I have one for you to test once I know it stable and doesn’t react I will send you one if interested.

Will also be feasting as tire coating

I have been warned by multiple parties of the danger of a noob like me mixing powerful chemical the product will remain out doors in shaded area for 72 hours for observation.

I’m only part time detailer April to November a weekend wingnut that details to cover costs of this obsession. I normally do two step corrections then coating I’m at it since 2007. I still have to work a boring desk job. I live in the northeast from November to April I am depressed when not detailing. I am far from pro. Sometimes in winter I work in body shop running Makita rotary It’s hit or miss but learned a lot of crazy rotary actions to mow down paint as quick as possible. Two different approaches body shop and detailer.
    Likes Stokdgs, SNP209, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, SNP209 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage Chemistry 2.0 Ceramic coating experiments

Reserved 1/3 mixtures
    20mls blackfire, 10mls adams spray coating

Post Thanks / Like

Reserved 1/4 mixture
    7.5mls blackfire 22.5 Adams spray coating

Post Thanks / Like

Reserved interior dash test

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm I`m interested in seeing your results

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sub’d

Post Thanks / Like

Your like the Bill Nye of detailing Garage Chemistry 2.0 Ceramic coating experimentsGarage Chemistry 2.0 Ceramic coating experiments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information