Post Thanks / Like

What plays a bigger role in paint correction, pad selection or polish/compound selection?

Definitely not the end all be all, but a pretty convincing demonstration to say the least. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What plays a bigger role in paint correction, pad selection or polish/compound selection?

Is it possibly an unfair test with an applicator pad rather than a light polishing pad? I could be remembering incorrectly but I think I remember Mike Phillips saying on multiple threads that the abrasive was the most important, followed by pad then polisher than person holding the machine (assuming at least proper technique). Either way that`s why I like to hear from multiple sources for all aspects of detailing. Not to mention sites like this and AG where an enthusiast can provide better insight than a seasoned pro.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What plays a bigger role in paint correction, pad selection or polish/compound selection?

Quote Originally Posted by gorram View Post
    Is it possibly an unfair test with an applicator pad rather than a light polishing pad? I could be remembering incorrectly but I think I remember Mike Phillips saying on multiple threads that the abrasive was the most important, followed by pad then polisher than person holding the machine (assuming at least proper technique). Either way that`s why I like to hear from multiple sources for all aspects of detailing. Not to mention sites like this and AG where an enthusiast can provide better insight than a seasoned pro.
    I believe the premise behind the demonstration was having just the pad do the correction vs having just the correction liquid do the correction, so using a pad that has some cut behind it would aid the correction liquid and the results would become voided. Plus, 3D ACA 500 is one of the best compounds on the market today, so if that isn`t going to do much correction by itself I doubt anything else will either.

I know that Mike Phillips preaches about the importance of abrasive technology and i believe he is correct, because the pad just cutting by itself will leave some hazing, as displayed in the video.

Post Thanks / Like

I found it odd that he mentioned the filling ability of the compound at the end, but didn`t consider in the first trial that the hand cream could have filled rather than the pad correcting, he did mention the hand cream was difficult to wipe off. Perhaps a solvent wipe for the first and the last test would have been appropriate.

Another point is to suggest the compound at the end does essentially nothing, when it could be a function of the pad being too soft to make the compound "work". Perhaps a better test would have been to tape off two spots next to each other and do one with a pad that has some bite, with just water, and then with the compound, with a solvent wipe after. Then you would be able to really see how much the pad is doing by itself, and how much with an "assistant".

But it didn`t seem like he was discovering something he didn`t know with the video, it seemed he had done plenty of experimentation beforehand, so perhaps he`s done all the comparisons already and was just giving us the results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I found it odd that he mentioned the filling ability of the compound at the end, but didn`t consider in the first trial that the hand cream could have filled rather than the pad correcting, he did mention the hand cream was difficult to wipe off. Perhaps a solvent wipe for the first and the last test would have been appropriate.

Another point is to suggest the compound at the end does essentially nothing, when it could be a function of the pad being too soft to make the compound "work". Perhaps a better test would have been to tape off two spots next to each other and do one with a pad that has some bite, with just water, and then with the compound, with a solvent wipe after. Then you would be able to really see how much the pad is doing by itself, and how much with an "assistant".

But it didn`t seem like he was discovering something he didn`t know with the video, it seemed he had done plenty of experimentation beforehand, so perhaps he`s done all the comparisons already and was just giving us the results.
    I share the same thoughts as you. A panel wipe would have definitely provided more transparency, but it didn`t appear as if he was pushing some kind of agenda. Interesting experiment nonetheless.

Post Thanks / Like

proof I could have the ultimate pad+compound selection AND Brian could still do better correction than me with some Jergens lotion lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting intellectual exercise, but IMO it`s a false dichotomy; if either one is inappropriate to the desired end-result then the *combo* is inappropriate (whatever "desired end-result" and "inappropriate" mean in the given context). How heavily weighted each of the two factors oughta be will be dependent on the pads/products (and technique/machine/etc.) in question.

Post Thanks / Like

So, here are some of the "variables" in vehicle surface correction:
    1) Hardness of paint or clear coat or gel-coat
    2) Type of surface materials (plastic, clear coat, single stage acrylic, single stage lacquer, clear-coated carbon fiber, gel-coated fiberglass). All will absorb and dissipate heat at different rates, affecting the correction process (those who have burned through painted flexible plastic bumpers know what I am talking about)
    3) Type of polishing/buffing machine (Rotary, forced rotation, long throw and stroke orbit and power output of machine)
    4) Pad type (foam density (color), foamed wool, real wool, microfiber, diameter (size) and age of pad)
    5) Methodology to clean the pad and when it is done (pad brush, compressed air, pad-cleaning pail tool)
    6) Compound type and abrasive size or cut-strength (water-based, oil-based, diminishing abrasive, SMAT (Super Micro Abrasive Technology), rocks-in-a-bottle
    7) Ambient Temperature and Humidity (correcting outdoors in the sun on humid day versus in a climate-controlled 72°F 35% Relative Humidity shop)
    8) Detailer`s skill (ability and experience) level in using the above mentioned buffing machines AND assessing the surface being corrected.

Still think vehicle surface correction isn`t a unique skill-set and and art-form and why highly-rated detailers are true crafts-persons?? If it were easy, everybody would do it . (So says Captain Cliche)
    GB detailer

Thread Information