Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Taking sprayer tops off bottles...some I have seen to catch

This may seem like a silly question but here goes....I’ve noticed lately with some products I get that come in spray bottles that the sprayers are all but impossible to take off? It’s like when you turn them they catch on the threads of the bottle and I can’t ever get them off easily.

If there an easy way to take them off without getting out the pliers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Taking sprayer tops off bottles...some I have seen to catch

No easy way, just need to use pliers. They are childproof for a reason, for adults to figure out pliers are needed to open the bottle, hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like

ratchet neck sprayers. have to use a pair of pliers

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks....I figured it was probably a child safety thing. I just have never seen it before or anything until I started purchasing detailing supplies. I`ll have to check out household cleaning bottle and see if they have these type of nozzles.

I guess with these I don`t have to worry about my 3 & 5 year olds ope ing anything.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    Thanks....I figured it was probably a child safety thing. I just have never seen it before or anything until I started purchasing detailing supplies. I`ll have to check out household cleaning bottle and see if they have these type of nozzles.

I guess with these I don`t have to worry about my 3 & 5 year olds ope ing anything.

Not opening, but getting the bottle to fall causing the sprayer to *break open*. I have no intention of causing alarm, but chemical safety is of the upmost importance. If you have children in the house, I would consider at great length whether or not it is needed to have SDS on had. Though we may not know exactly what is in one chemical because it is a trade secret, the recommendations for treatment in event of exposure are spot on.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of my household products come with those too. (But OTOH, some stuff like my Bona Floor Cleaner come with qtr-turn/interrupted thread ones that`re great.)

At the risk of sounding all insensitive and "Get off my lawn!" about it, I`d prefer they just leave the responsibility for Product Safety concerns to the end-user (if that`s the real reason for `em, I can think of other explanations too). Bugs me something fierce on certain products, because it complicates refilling the oe bottles and getting the last bit of product out.

Post Thanks / Like

If I really like the sprayer and want to reuse it, I just take a pair if tin snips and cut off the lower part of the the cap where the threads end and turn to a serrated ring. Now its reusable.

Bill
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    Not opening, but getting the bottle to fall causing the sprayer to *break open*. I have no intention of causing alarm, but chemical safety is of the upmost importance. If you have children in the house, I would consider at great length whether or not it is needed to have SDS on had. Though we may not know exactly what is in one chemical because it is a trade secret, the recommendations for treatment in event of exposure are spot on.
    I can appreciate your thoughts on having the contents spill and safety. I do keep all my chemicals in an area my boys cannot get to them. SDS sheets are probably a good idea. I think though as a personal user I would just access them via the web as needed. If I were a shop setting I`d have them readily available. I never at this point plan on doing "professional" detailing, but from what research I have done about the professional side of things I have learned there are not too many regulations on auto retailers. That is very suprsing to me in regards to the amount of chemicals used.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Some of my household products come with those too. (But OTOH, some stuff like my Bona Floor Cleaner come with qtr-turn/interrupted thread ones that`re great.)

At the risk of sounding all insensitive and "Get off my lawn!" about it, I`d prefer they just leave the responsibility for Product Safety concerns to the end-user (if that`s the real reason for `em, I can think of other explanations too). Bugs me something fierce on certain products, because it complicates refilling the oe bottles and getting the last bit of product out.
    Without speaking out of line I`d say our positions are slight different. With my 2 little ones I am grateful for these spray nozzles....to an extent. Some of them I don`t like how they spray so I`d like to change them out, which I can - just more of a hassle when I`m trying to unscrew it and realize, "oh, it`s one of these." And curiosity about how something smells always get these best of me. Not that I want everything to smell like cherries or fruit, but I always like to sniff it prior to use for whatever reason
    And yes it is nice to have the OE bottle to refill if you like the product and buy it again in more cost effective quantities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jack View Post
    If I really like the sprayer and want to reuse it, I just take a pair if tin snips and cut off the lower part of the the cap where the threads end and turn to a serrated ring. Now its reusable.

Bill
    Bill does doing this cause any leak problems if you knock the bottle over afterwards? Somehow I always look back and one of my bottles has fallen over on the ground. Didn`t know if this would affect the seal or not? And maybe this isn`t an issue for you because you utilize a cart. At this point I don`t have one so I encourage up having to sit my bottle around my work area in the ground. Maybe I need to invest in another bucket or something to hang the sprayers on to keep them off the ground

Post Thanks / Like

Billy Jack- I`ve thought about doing that, but never liked a given sprayer quite *that* much If I weren`t getting new bottles of UQW for Christmas every year I`d probably do it with one of those and refill from a gallon of D156, so it`s still a good idea.

It *appeared* that you could do that without causing issues...

Astouffer512- Ah, you mentioned hanging them from buckets! I bet 90% of mine (sigh..yeah, I have sooo [darn] many ) are hanging from their handles from something, whether it`s the edge of a cart or the rim of a bucket. My floor is never as clean as I`d like it to be these days, another reason to do it that way.

Here I go spending your money again (just did it on the other thread about the bumpercover), but keep an eye on Harbor Freight`s sales, I got their Polypropylene Service Carts on sale and IMO it was money *very* well-spent for all sorts of reasons. But they do take up some space..

I sure don`t blame you for wanting to keep things safe for your kids. I`ll admit I knee-jerk towards "hey, life`s dangerous, get used to it...*I* lived to tell!" but that`d be no consolation at all if somebody else suffered a tragedy. I should probably shudder over stuff that seemed commonplace when I was younger

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Billy Jack- I`ve thought about doing that, but never liked a given sprayer quite *that* much If I weren`t getting new bottles of UQW for Christmas every year I`d probably do it with one of those and refill from a gallon of D156, so it`s still a good idea.
    It *appeared* that you could do that without causing issues...
    I`ve never had an issue with any of the sprayer caps that I`ve cut. When you consider the functions of a bottle cap / sprayer, the sealing is provided by the gasket at the top. The matching peaks and valleys at the end of the cap provide child safety as well as resistance to loosening and compromising the seal. Removing the 3/16" to 1/4" just makes it easier to remove and reinstall the sprayer without tools.
    I`m not obsessed at having all my liquids in identical, labeled quart bottles. Often, I`ve first purchased the consumer size bottles of products such as DG Aquawax, Meg`s UQD or QID, then bought a gallon for refill, once I was sure it was worthwhile keeping in stock. It`s easier to avoid mistakes when the shelf has colorful labeled OEM bottles, as opposed to shelves full of identical generic bottles. I`ve also interchanged sprayers, depending on the desired outcome. Some products like a fine mist, while others like a heavier application. Rather than fuss with my many adjustable spray heads, I`ll just swap for the spray pattern desired.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I should also mention an alternative for those who don`t own a pair of tin snips; Take a sanding drum in a Dremel tool, a coarse file, or even some coarse sandpaper on a narrow block and knock down the peaks on the bottle itself, keeping away from the threads.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Billy Jack- Yeah, I too prefer refilling the oe bottles over having nearly-identical generics and I too mix/match sprayheads to different products.

Next time I have one of those I`m gonna be a bit more gentle taking the sprayer off and I`ll play around with trimming it.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m planning on getting some Duragloss 253 and eventually the gallon refill. I sure hope I’ll be able to take the sprayer off the bottle OK.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I try to reuse spray heads too! I especially like the 303 ones as their spray pattern is perfect for me. Of course these are the childproof ones. I use pliers to remove them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I try to reuse spray heads too! I especially like the 303 ones as their spray pattern is perfect for me. Of course these are the childproof ones. I use pliers to remove them.
    I like the 303 ones too

I really like the Meg’s spray nozzles myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information