Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

2008 Saturn - which polish?

I have 2008 black Saturn Aura (35K miles) that I polished a couple of years ago, and which sits outdoors in the blistering Texas sun all the time. The polish is (I assume) gone and the paint has begun to degrade a bit on the hood, trunk-top, and the roof. I have an electric polisher and 3 Poor Boy`s liquids left over from before (from their sample kit), but the polish is near empty. The paint needs a bit more grit treatment than the Poor Boy`s polish. I would like to order a Poor Boy`s product to bring back the paint surfaces that I mentioned prior to applying the Poor Boy`s polish. What Poor Boy`s product should I use?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2008 Saturn - which polish?

Welcome to the forum!

This is kind of a loaded question that you have asked. First, when you say the "polish is gone and the paint has begun to degrade a bit", you understand that a polish doesn`t provide any paint protection, right? Notwithstanding some companies (like Zaino and Duragloss) that call their paint protectants "polishes". So after you are done restoring the brilliance to your paint with whatever Poorboy`s polish we agree on, you will need to apply a Poorboy`s or other paint sealant or wax.

Since you have used the phrases "blistering Texas sun" and "degrade a bit", be aware that what you are seeing could be early clearcoat failure, in which case polishing may not help. With that being said, and since you appear to have a PB`s sampler kit which I presume contains SSR1, SSR2, and SSR3, why don`t you replace the (near empty) SSR1, and simply use the SSR2 before that. And follow that up with some EX-P sealant.

Of course, there are many other products out there, which you may find equal or better to the Poorboy`s products, some of which will undoubtedly be mentioned by subsequent posters.
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What I have is the Poorboy`s World Sample Kit #6 which contains (none of them are marked SS-anything, btw) :
    Poorboy`s Professional Polish (almost empty)
    Poorboy`s EX-P Sealant (3/4 empty)
    Poorboy`s Black Hole Show Glaze (2/3 empty)

I am not positive whether I should use the sealant or the Black Hole last. Do you know?

And I need a slightly more cutting liquid than the Professional Polish (which it says is non-abrasive) in order to do the top parts of the car.
    So what Poorboy`s products should I buy to do my car - maybe twice.

Post Thanks / Like

The Black Hole glaze is used before the EX-P sealant.

Sounds like you want to buy SSR1 which is a very mild polish, and SSR2 as a backup in case the SSR1 doesn`t have enough cut. Of course, according to this chart, SSR1 has very minimal correction ability, although a tad more than the Pro Polish: Updated 2/2017: Autopia Polish Comparison Chart!

There`s a lot of choices in polishes out there, a lot of very good ones. A lot of buzz the last few years about the Sonax and Griot`s Boss polishes, I haven`t used either of them yet.

Post Thanks / Like

The car is a beater but I don`t want it to go totally bad. Not looking for show quality at all. Don`t want to do this more than once per year.

Maybe after polish I should use this?: https://www.autopia-carcare.com/blac...c-coating.html

Post Thanks / Like

A coating like that is a bit more of an advanced product, requiring some experience in the prep and application.

For less money you could get these two:

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/grio...l#.Xc124FdKi70

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/fini...l#.Xc13JVdKi70

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwr64 View Post
    The car is a beater but I don`t want it to go totally bad. Not looking for show quality at all. Don`t want to do this more than once per year.

Maybe after polish I should use this?: https://www.autopia-carcare.com/blac...c-coating.html
    I think you will be good with something like this with a quick one step polish and paint prep. Should get you around 9 months maintained properly.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/gyeo...l#.Xc2BwVdKiUk

The other option is to continually use a spray on product throughout the year. There are quite a few silica spray sealants.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I`m surprised that nobody is suggesting the recently reviewed TW Ceramic Polish and Wax stuff that did so well in that extreme torture test. Seems like a decent one-step product with good lasting protection.

cwr64- Welcome to Autopia! Sorry, I can`t really make a definitive suggestion as I just don`t know what`s really going on with your paint. It`s very challenging to get, let alone keep, a black daily driver in nice condition, and I`d only consider a Coating if a vehicle is close to perfect.

Getting anything to last a full year under your conditions might be a big challenge, but that TW product I mentioned just might do it while being reasonably user-friendly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`m surprised that nobody is suggesting the recently reviewed TW Ceramic Polish and Wax stuff that did so well in that extreme torture test. Seems like a decent one-step product with good lasting protection.
    Maybe some of us haven`t absorbed those products into our consciousness yet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Maybe some of us haven`t absorbed those products into our consciousness yet
    Heh heh, I`m a little surprised that *I* knew from that TW stuff! "New Posts"...never know what you`ll find, and/but I basically *NEVER* click on any kind of Detailing video, but I did on the one in that thread and, well..OK, sounds like it could be a viable choice for a lot of people. One-step that holds up to *Brake Fluid"?!? Color me impressed...for what it is
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So - would I first polish out my imperfect paint with a polishing liquid that has some ability to "cut" and then finish up with one of the TW coatings? If so, which coating should I use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwr64 View Post
    So - would I first polish out my imperfect paint with a polishing liquid that has some ability to "cut" and then finish up with one of the TW coatings? If so, which coating should I use?
    I hope somebody who knows more about Coatings (and the TW lineup) responds..but the Ceramic Polish and Wax apparently has some really good protection in it and works well all by itself. If you do the dreaded SEARCH you oughta find that thread and there`s something there about what to use afterwards if you want more protection...all I remember is that you oughta wait a day or so before doing the extra step (so I`d probably wait until after the next wash).

Post Thanks / Like

So - would I first polish out my imperfect paint with a polishing liquid that has some ability to "cut" and then finish up with one of the coatings? If so, which coating should I use?
    I don`t care especially that I use a TW coating. It appears that there are several coatings available from different companies and that there are both professional level and cheaper coatings available for non-professionals like me. I would like someone experienced to tell me exactly what coating and polish I should buy. I would like to do the deed in no more than 2 steps (1-polish then 2-coating?) and then have it last for at least a year.

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned you can use the new TW Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Polish & Wax and then follow up with the Hybrid Solutions Spray Coating. It’s cheap and the benefit of a spray coating is you can reapply it as often as you like. Affordable as well if price is a concern.

If you are looking for a couple other options. These will take a bit more work.

Gyeon Primer followed by Gyeon Prep followed by 2 coats of Gyeon CanCoat. Maintain with their spray sealant Cure or equivalent and you should see about 9 months to a year.

CarPro Essence followed by CarPro Eraser followed by 2 coats of cquartz lite. Maintain with CarPro Elixir and you should get 9 months to a year.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

In this case I somehow suspect that approaches like the Gyeon and Carpro are geared towards different users/goals.

No, that`s not a slam as even I myself wouldn`t try to do my Dailies with those, let alone if they only last that long.

The Guz- I`m kinda surprised that the Gyeon and CarPro wouldn`t last any longer than that...gee, I`m [ticked] if my conventional approaches don`t last at least that long! But then again, I gather my vehicles are awfully pampered..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information