Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shampoo for a more deep clean not a normal maintenance wash

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    ... some say [citrus-based cleaner] dries out paint oils. Not sure if that is true..
    Paints haven`t had "oils" since *really* old-tech lacquers (and probably enamels, although I never experienced anything to confirm that), the ones where "feed the paint" wasn`t just marketing BS, so that shouldn`t be a concern. There *are* things on today`s cars that you don`t want to dry out, but that shouldn`t really be an issue unless doing something extreme all the time.

I am waiting for some car-care manufacturer to add laundry detergent Gain scent to its car wash soap!!
    Heh heh, just wait, somebody probably will! Seems like *everything* comes with Gain Scent nowadays!

Post Thanks / Like

Plastizers are an acid based additive in today`s modern paint system. There are NO oils as such present, only highly refined, special hydrocarbon solvents. Use of high alkaline cleaners attack and remove a percentage of the plastizers. The plastizers provide brightness of color and some flexibility to the paint. One can see the result of applying a high caustic alkaline product to the paint as it will start to appear "dull".
    There is of course, more to this, however is very involved and highly technical, and do not wish to spend hours attempting to explain further.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    .. Use of high alkaline cleaners attack and remove a percentage of the plastizers. The plastizers provide brightness of color and some flexibility to the paint. One can see the result of applying a high caustic alkaline product to the paint as it will start to appear "dull"..
    I`m guessing that "highly alkaline" in this sense means something more potent than people here are likely to try on a regular basis...like, I`m assuming something in the ph range of "A" is still OK, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Notice the use of "B" is the second step of the ABC system, in addition to removing ferrous particles, it replaces the plastizers removed by the alkaline "A" product. You may have noticed that often, when all "3" of the system is used, the surface will often appear to be just waxed. So-don`t try and cheat the system with using some other soap or such, follow the directions that have been in place for over 24 years, and has been successful on millions of vehicles all over the world.
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have never just used A or B by itself. I guess this is good reason not to.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    Notice the use of "B" is the second step of the ABC system, in addition to removing ferrous particles, it replaces the plastizers removed by the alkaline "A" product...
    Ah, OK...I didn`t know that, must`ve glossed over that part of the Product Info as I assume it was mentioned.

You may have noticed that often, when all "3" of the system is used, the surface will often appear to be just waxed. So-don`t try and cheat the system with using some other soap or such, follow the directions .
    My ears are burning over that "don`t cheat by using another soap", guilty as charged

Post Thanks / Like

I had to fight to keep the system from being packaged in small sizes for the DYI folks as knew most would never actually read and follow directions. Result would be tons of `````ing, etc for a very small amount of product sales volume vs the market it is intended for.

Post Thanks / Like

That’s why the majority of DIYers decontaminate by using IronX and similar chemicals and resorting to mechanical decontamination and polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron Ketcham- Understood, don`t want amateurs messing up ABC`s sterling reputation by proving it`s not really bubba-proof (says the guy who did indeed use a different soap as the last step one time).

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Heh heh, we can blame Yours Truly next time somebody gripes that they can`t buy it in little bottles.

Post Thanks / Like

The how to video on YouTube is pretty straight forward, I thought, at least. My kit came with printed instructions which I also thought were easy to follow. Nothing you can do if someone just totally ignores them though.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, you are the rare one.
    Most will not read, follow, etc as for some reason they believe because they have washed and polished a couple of vehicles, etc, they are bullet proof experts.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- IME you`d have to *really* ignore them and do something awfully stupid to have it bite you. The "B" especially always impressed me as being *VERY* mild, sometimes requiring more than one applicaton and twice even needing some help from clay for the initial heavy lifting.

Post Thanks / Like

Shampoo for a more deep clean not a normal maintenance wash

If you don’t read I take it that the system can do some nasty damage to trim. Stuff like irreparable staining and such. I mean this damage can occur by leaving it on past the five minutes and letting it sit on the surface to dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Reality is one would have to leave the A or B on the trim, in high heat, for 10 or more minutes. The warning is there as often those trim parts have already been damaged and a dressing applied to hide the damage. The A and B will remove the dressing, exposing the damage, but the DYI`s think the A or B damaged the part. Producing idiot proof instructions and products is never perfect, sort of like the old lady who spilled boiling hot coffee on her lap and then sued McDonald`s.
    Some people are "too smart" to read or listen to those who know the facts--that is a common issue we see so often these days-IE- the new spray on ceramic`s, directions, and how the complaints are usually traced back to the end user not reading or following instructions. Or another example, even after 30 years of first time users of 1000P refusing to "apply in THIN coats and allow sufficient time for cure before final wipe off."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information