Post Thanks / Like

New Lexus RC300 Nebula Grey... next steps.

I recently purchased a new Lexus RC300 in Grey. Love it!

Two weekends ago I washed using the two bucket method....came out great!

While drying the car I thought maybe I should use a quick detail to give a bit more gloss, I had an old bottle of Megs Quick detailing laying around, but wasn`t sure if I should use for two reasons. 1- is this a practical application of a quick detailer - spray on vehicle while drying with microfiber towel. Just wasn`t sure if this is something that I should do. My other reason for not doing this...2 - I wasn`t sure if a product like this go bad. It was probably about 5-8 years old.

Do these type of products expire or go bad?

I do have to say the dealers "detailing" job was pretty good. I was out of town for 5 days, and when I came back the car was filthy. However, it rained that night...next morning there was a great bead on the car and after letting water roll off it was real clean. I thought I was going to be embarrassed driving my filthy new car, but it was surprisingly clean.

As for detailing, I do my cars by hand. In the past I`ve used the Klasse Products...AIO, and glaze. However, things have changed since. I don`t have the power tools, and was always a bit intimidated by them.

What do you recommend I do for my next steps. Do I need to strip the dealers "detailing product off" If so what do you think I should be using.

I just don`t know where to start, I`ve been reading the forums, but there are just so many products, just not sure what are good for a hand application.

Thanks for any info to get me started again!

-Evan
    Thanks

-Evan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Lexus RC300 Nebula Grey... next steps.

An all in one would be fine but on a newer car maybe just a good clean and hand polish followed buy a high quality sealant. You should think about coating your car with a ceramic coating.

If not I like the sio2 sealants available on the market. Also don’t be afraid of a dual action polisher. I got one to correct and polish my black paint and came out great. It was my first time using a machine. I watched a few videos and the rest was just getting what I need. Unless you hold polisher in same place for over 30 seconds really hard to damage your paint, especially if just polishing and not correcting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evan631 View Post
    As for detailing, I do my cars by hand. In the past I`ve used the Klasse Products...AIO, and glaze. However, things have changed since. I don`t have the power tools, and was always a bit intimidated by them.
    The Klasse twins have been around a long time but they`re still contenders. I like to try different products, but my go-to last steps are Klasse AIO followed by a wax topper. AIO followed by High Gloss Sealant Glaze will leave your paint with a "candy coated" gloss and protection that lasts a few months.
    My stable includes a 2019 Toyota Avalon and a 2016 BMW 550i.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! You certainly can use an all in one by hand, then follow it up with a good Sealant. But that’s a ton of work by hand. Take a look at Griot’s videos. Don’t be intimidated by a DA, you can hold one in one place all day long and it will not damage anything! Check out the Griot’s kits for starters.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your replies!

If i just went with my Klasse products that are a few years old, is there any issue with that? Does the KAIO or Glaze "go bad", being they are so old?

As for Ceramics....Can a ceramic spray coating be applied after any glaze/sealant/wax? Or is that just unnecessary.

This is where i get confused with the layering and all the different products.
    Thanks

-Evan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evan631 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your replies!

If i just went with my Klasse products that are a few years old, is there any issue with that? Does the KAIO or Glaze "go bad", being they are so old?

As for Ceramics....Can a ceramic spray coating be applied after any glaze/sealant/wax? Or is that just unnecessary.

This is where i get confused with the layering and all the different products.
    Klasse claims their products do not expire, which I tend to believe because I have a bottle of AIO that is probably 12 years old and doesn`t seem to have degraded.

With most of the new coatings the surface must be free of wax/sealants/whatever. Although McKee`s Hydro Blue is sprayed on after washing, and apparently will play nice with a sealant or wax. There are probably others that can be used over a sealant or wax.
    My stable includes a 2019 Toyota Avalon and a 2016 BMW 550i.

Post Thanks / Like

evan631- IME Meguiar`s QDs do have a limited shelf-life, although it`s pretty long, almost indefinite under climate-controlled conditions (much shorter if very hot/cold).

My Klasse twins sure weren`t new when we moved into this place in 2000 and they`re still fine. Even if/when KAIO gets "nasty black globs that might be mold or somesuch" (and I mean really nasty-looking! This is my *really* old jug of it) it still works 100% fine IME, just used some of that nasty stuff.

If you`re OK with not doing correction, I`d just go over it with the KAIO. Four-six layers of KSG would still be fine, but I`ve switched to FK1000P as my LSP as it provides the same level of protection/durability while looking nicer and shedding dirt better without the need for so much layering. Downside is that you can`t use it on trim/etc. the way you can with KSG.

But unless you really want to get this done and behind you, maybe consider just waiting until the Dealership stuff really needs redone.

And I`ll second the advice to *not* be leery of using a polisher. From my then-elderly father to my female BFF with zero experience with/interest in/knowledge of Detailing, nobody I know who gave it proper thought has ever had any problems with one. As the old saying goes, "it`s just a fast hand that doesn`t get fatigued". Use the right unit, with the right pads/products, and if it`s not literally idiot-proof, well...who cares, I assume you`re not an idiot

EDIT: OH, and yeah...using a QD, or a RinselessWash, or a SprayWax as a Drying Aid is great! I do something along those lines at virtually every wash. As long as the products are compatible (dunno about that Meg`s QD) it oughta work great, just be sure to really LAUNDER the Drying MF to get that stuff out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    evan631- IME Meguiar`s QDs do have a limited shelf-life, although it`s pretty long, almost indefinite under climate-controlled conditions (much shorter if very hot/cold).

My Klasse twins sure weren`t new when we moved into this place in 2000 and they`re still fine. Even if/when KAIO gets "nasty black globs that might be mold or somesuch" (and I mean really nasty-looking! This is my *really* old jug of it) it still works 100% fine IME, just used some of that nasty stuff.

If you`re OK with not doing correction, I`d just go over it with the KAIO. Four-six layers of KSG would still be fine, but I`ve switched to FK1000P as my LSP as it provides the same level of protection/durability while looking nicer and shedding dirt better without the need for so much layering. Downside is that you can`t use it on trim/etc. the way you can with KSG.

But unless you really want to get this done and behind you, maybe consider just waiting until the Dealership stuff really needs redone.

And I`ll second the advice to *not* be leery of using a polisher. From my then-elderly father to my female BFF with zero experience with/interest in/knowledge of Detailing, nobody I know who gave it proper thought has ever had any problems with one. As the old saying goes, "it`s just a fast hand that doesn`t get fatigued". Use the right unit, with the right pads/products, and if it`s not literally idiot-proof, well...who cares, I assume you`re not an idiot

EDIT: OH, and yeah...using a QD, or a RinselessWash, or a SprayWax as a Drying Aid is great! I do something along those lines at virtually every wash. As long as the products are compatible (dunno about that Meg`s QD) it oughta work great, just be sure to really LAUNDER the Drying MF to get that stuff out of it.
    Thanks for all the info. I will look into the the polisher videos and get some education!
    Thanks

-Evan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_MD View Post
    Klasse claims their products do not expire, which I tend to believe because I have a bottle of AIO that is probably 12 years old and doesn`t seem to have degraded.

With most of the new coatings the surface must be free of wax/sealants/whatever. Although McKee`s Hydro Blue is sprayed on after washing, and apparently will play nice with a sealant or wax. There are probably others that can be used over a sealant or wax.
    Usually sealants (including sio2 sealants and not a coating type products) should go on bottom from what I’ve read.... then wax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Usually sealants (including sio2 sealants and not a coating type products) should go on bottom from what I’ve read.... then wax
    Right. IF somebody`s gonna use both, which I`d never do

The only thing I`d use over a Sealant is...more of that sealant.

Well, OK...IUDJ seems to work OK as a booster (no issues so far adding more sealant over top of it later) and FK425 is fine over/under FK1000P, and Sonus Acrylic Spritz is fine over/under KSG (and etc. etc.). But I`d be careful about doing such stuff lest you have to strip it back to bare paint and start over (which IMO negates the whole point of using a long-lasting LSP in the first place). I`d stick with combos like the ones I listed that`re known to work OK.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_MD View Post
    I can confirm too. I have bottles of both AIO and SG which I bought sometime around 2000~2002 and the last I checked they seemed to still be OK.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Thread Information