Post Thanks / Like

Griots Touch Up Sticks

Was really surprised to find something unique from Griots for touch up paint that actually works. Anyone that’s ever messed with touch up paint knows that little paint bottle with the brush and pen in it is almost completely useless. That brush just sucks. The pen even worse. It always seems to glop on too much paint no matter how careful you are.

What else is out there? Not much. IMHO, Dr Colorchip is way overpriced & just doesn’t work that well. There is a fine line between removing the paint from the chip(s) and removing the extra paint on the good paint. I always cringe when I see the videos of the guy with the blue glove smearing all the Dr Colorchip paint around. For whatever reason - the repair just doesn’t look great to me & endless fiddling seems to make it worse.

I’ve used the Langka Blob Eliminator as well. I wasn’t impressed with that either. Both systems work on the principal of applying extra paint and chemically removing it, while somehow not removing too much from the chip. I find both tedious & time consuming. I just want to do it once and be done with it.

Maybe I’m a moron, but I’ve tried tiny paint brushes, toothpicks, etc - with mixed results. Everything seems to apply too much paint. There really is no great solution out there - until I saw these from Griots. All they are are little plastic sticks with TINY foam heads. The foam head on the smaller one is thinner than a toothpick.

It’s really amazing nobody else really has these. You can apply the paint to the tiniest of rock chips without the blob. For once something that really works. You can really fill road rash style chips if you have a steady hand without a mess. They make working on bigger chips easier as well.

Of course, we all know the touch up paint will never match perfectly and it’s still a repair... So, if you’ve been putting off fixing some rock chips because you can’t stand to deal with the God awful touch up pen; I’d highly recommend a set of these.
    Likes Coleroad, Dr Oldz, SWETM, mc2hill liked this post
    Thanks Coleroad, Stokdgs, BudgetPlan1, Dr Oldz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots Touch Up Sticks

You can get those in bulk at Amazon, they are listed as some sort of eyelash brushes. But I agree, they are unlike any other tool for touching up paint chips, I bought them from Griot`s but found them to be a bit pricey so I hunted around, not sure how I found them, it apparently was 2013 when I bought them from Amazon. As I recall, they have one or two more sizes than the 2 from Griot`s.
    Likes Stokdgs, Coleroad liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Coleroad thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you posted those in case people weren`t aware of them! Much as I like my tiny artists` brushes, those are *really* handy when they`re the right size.

I`ve bought `em from a few sources, and/but liked the dispenser-container that the GG ones came in (especially the round one for the small/black version, the rectangular box for the bigger ones is OK too, but not as swell). I see their bigger ones are now blue instead of red..

Some of mine from other vendors are different sizes than the GG ones. Might pay to look around, I really like having an assortment.

Just used them last week, to apply epoxy to some door/window trim that needed re-adhered. And I`ve used the larger ones to get Trim Sealant into tight corners of weatherstripping/etc. All sorts of uses for the things!

Post Thanks / Like

If not concerned about the applicator that comes with the product, and using one of these micro applicators instead, what`s the best touch-up paint to get?

Post Thanks / Like

kappy- You`ll hate this response, but... It just depends. Seriously.

I`ve bought touchup paint from most every source you can imagine, including having it custom-mixed by a few different sources. Sometimes it matches, sometimes it doesn`t, absolute crap-shoot. Sometimes I want a single-stage, other times I want a b/c system. Sometimes I want something that`ll level great chemically, other times I plan to wetsand. ALL of those factors, and more that I`m not thinking of, can matter.

GENERALLY...you won`t go wrong with the Big Names like AutomotiveTouchup-dot-com or PaintScratch-dot-com (b/c) or DrColorChips (single-stage) or the Dealership`s OEM stuff (some are b/c, others are ss). MAYBE your local autobody/paint supply place will mix up something great, maybe they won`t, but that might be worth a try too.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Loew-Cornell paint pen. Only thing I`ve found to be precise enough to not leave a big blob of paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    kappy- You`ll hate this response, but... It just depends. Seriously.

I`ve bought touchup paint from most every source you can imagine, including having it custom-mixed by a few different sources. Sometimes it matches, sometimes it doesn`t, absolute crap-shoot. Sometimes I want a single-stage, other times I want a b/c system. Sometimes I want something that`ll level great chemically, other times I plan to wetsand. ALL of those factors, and more that I`m not thinking of, can matter.

GENERALLY...you won`t go wrong with the Big Names like AutomotiveTouchup-dot-com or PaintScratch-dot-com (b/c) or DrColorChips (single-stage) or the Dealership`s OEM stuff (some are b/c, others are ss). MAYBE your local autobody/paint supply place will mix up something great, maybe they won`t, but that might be worth a try too.
    I don`t hate your reply, and thanks for the info. I knew there wasn`t a one-size-fits-all solution, and should have been more specific.

I have a black Nissan Murano with some very small chips in the paint. I`m sure this happened when I accidentally made direct eye contact as I was walking past the car. The paint is ridiculously soft.

I wasn`t thinking about attempting a repair until I saw Swanicyouth`s post about the applicators. I`ve tried touching up paint on previous cars, using something I bought from the dealer that came with a brush, and it never went well. The color matched but the application? Not so much.

I`ll look at the sources you referenced and see what my local dealer has as well.

Thanks, again.

Post Thanks / Like

kappy- If the touchup paint you used was OK, those applicators might make all the diff and solve your issues, they really do work well. I`d get some kind of magnifying goggles so you can *really* see what you`re doing, even if your eyesight is better than mine (which I`m certain it is). As long as the chips aren`t down to corroded bare metal, that might be a simple way to sort it all out.

And yeah, I`ve heard about that Nissan/Infinity paint! You have my sympathy, I`d simply go nuts.

Post Thanks / Like

Accum, have you tried the Loew-Cornell pen? I first saw it on a video with Ammo using it and it looked like it might do a decent job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    Accum, have you tried the Loew-Cornell pen?
    No, never tried it, this is the first I`ve heard of it that I can recall...tell me more!

Post Thanks / Like

Got some of these in 1.5mm size. The brushes that are in the touchup paint bottles might as well be for painting walls in the house. These little applicators are just the ticket.

Thread Information