Post Thanks / Like

2015 BMW x5 paint failure?

What do you guys think this is? Complete paint failure? This is my dad`s car that I see a couple times a week and all the sudden I noticed this. It is basically all over the car.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 BMW x5 paint failure?

I hand polished a small area and they are less visible but looks like spots of clearcoat are missing!

Post Thanks / Like

I had exactly the same problem on a 2016 BMW X5
    Numerous Tiny pit like spots,clear coat defects on one side of the car and the hood appeared 7-8 mos after purchase.
    My body shop guy tried buffing,polishing some areas with very little improvement.
    But when he applied hot air to some spots with a hair dryer they disappeared.
    So the summer heat and sun slowly removed all the defects over a period of 4-6 months
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, pmalanos thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Sonalamp --
    In the hundreds of Bimmers I have Detailed, I have never seen that condition.. Even on way, way, older models..

It is harder to see it in the clouds reflection.. It looks like something liquid landed on it and dried, like water spots, etc..

Are you sure there is nothing like sap, etc., that got on top the paintwork ??
    Dan F
    Thanks pmalanos thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Any repainted areas? Looks like failure. Check the warranty carefully, you may be covered.
    Thanks pmalanos thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice guys. Tizziozo. The car has been in direct sun for months now in South Carolina so it`s definitely hot. We will see if that helps. I`m going to get the buffer out tomorrow and see if that will help. I really don`t think it is on the surface though. Looks more like chipping or etching. Hopefully I am wrong! I`ll keep you updated.

Peter

Likes Coatings=crack, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, it`s all factory paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I would take it to your local BMW dealer and ask them. I’ve never seen (or heard) of clearcoat failure on a BMW that new. It may still be under warranty at around 4 years old. If the dealer is not too helpful (normal) contact BMW of America. They respond pretty quick. They still are after me about my airbags on a 2011 BMW.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

pmalanos (and Tizziozo)- Welcome to Autopia!

pmalanos- Before abrading it with the polisher (and some product), I`d *absolutely* inspect it under magnification and good lighting. If it`s some kind of severe clearcoat damage, let alone outright failure, thinning what`s left will only make things worse and provide a possible opening for [others] to lay the blame on *you*.

As noted, the best course of action (post-inspection) is probably to pursue this through BWM.
    Likes pmalanos liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

sonalamp and pmalanos (and Tizziozo)- Welcome to Autopia!

pmalanos- Before abrading it with the polisher (and some product), I`d *absolutely* inspect it under magnification and good lighting. If it`s some kind of severe clearcoat damage, let alone outright failure, thinning what`s left will only make things worse and provide a possible opening for [others] to lay the blame on *you*.

As noted, the best course of action (post-inspection) is probably to pursue this through BWM.
    Likes pmalanos, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is Sonalamp. They got my old account working! My dad just got back in town so he picked up his car. Ill let you all know how things go.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

There`s too many different people in this thread who are the same person.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Ask the dealer to contact the BMWNA field service engineer for a visit. And that you want to be there for the visit.
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tizziozo View Post
    I had exactly the same problem on a 2016 BMW X5
    Numerous Tiny pit like spots,clear coat defects on one side of the car and the hood appeared 7-8 mos after purchase.
    My body shop guy tried buffing,polishing some areas with very little improvement.
    But when he applied hot air to some spots with a hair dryer they disappeared.
    So the summer heat and sun slowly removed all the defects over a period of 4-6 months
    Isn`t this called “solvent pop”? A question for the painters here.

Post Thanks / Like

PSA- Every Detailer oughta have some kind of magnification to inspect stuff like this. I find the oft-recommended ~30x way too powerful for *me* (especially on metallics), preferring a 15x lighted unit...man, I use it all the time just to see what`s (really) what, whether I`m actually gonna try fixing it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Isn`t this called “solvent pop”? A question for the painters here.
    Not a Painter, but...

Solvent pop can indeed look like that (I had it on my last e36 M3), but since this is *apparently* (key word!) oe paint that`s pretty unlikely. Much of the pitting in my `93 Audi`s paint also looks *exactly* like this, and it`s not solvent pop but rather just the effect of serious neglect in a harsh environment. In both cases, removing more clear did *NOT* make that aspect of the situation better (did help with the marring, but at the expense of making the pitting *worse*).

And solvent pop wouldn`t go away with the application of heat...won`t go away with the application of *anything* with the possible exception of new clear.

Whether it`s solvent pop (painted that side of vehicle) or early failure (that portion of vehicle exposed to...something), I`d still be after BMW to resolve the issue. And again, I would *not* be DIYing anything as it`d give them an excuse to shirk responsibility.

Ask the dealer to contact the BMWNA field service engineer for a visit. And that you want to be there for the visit.
    Hey, that last bit is very important, glad you mentioned it!

It`s not at all uncommon for Reps/etc. to want the owner to *NOT* be present, and IMO it`s a big mistake to go along with that. BE THERE! And be polite, but be insistent about getting real responses to anything you`re wondering about (which might change in the course of the experience). Don`t fold (or get [ticked] off and lose it) if they try to blow you off; I`ve had some real, uhm...EXPERIENCES... in this situation. These days, I`d go so far as to record the whole thing, but then I kinda lean towards recording *anything* that could turn into a he said/she said situation.

Thread Information