Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Protection for glossy "wood" interior

My car`s interior has some glossy wood trim on the dash and doors and has gotten through normal wear and tear some very light swirls and scratches which I will polish out. However, other than PPF - which I won`t use, would anything (other than being super) careful help keep swirls and scratches at bay - coatings or waxes?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protection for glossy "wood" interior

It seems like a coating would be a solution in terms of some amount of protection to freshly polished wood. I have no idea what coating might be compatible with the "wood" surfaces.

Personally, if I have a ton of free time for something like this, I`d mechanically polish and follow up with Zymol`s old school product and call it a day. The new materials in these cars is highly susceptible to human-induced wear/tear, Bob.

Post Thanks / Like

tom p.- I *still*have my little jar of that Zymol Detail/BHMA Interior Wood Wax from the `80s Much as I like it for sentimental reasons, IMO it`s just an OK paste wax.

bob m- Short of a coating, the only thing that`s ever provided a physical barrier against marring for me is many coats of KSG.

IME keeping the interior wood nice..well, *really* nice, like Autopian-nice...is virtually impossible on a Daily Driver, and given enough time, hard to do on even a Garage Queen. The clear coatings I`ve worked on were/are both thin and soft. My wife and I are crazy-careful by normal standards (if not Autopian ones), and I gotta admit that the wood in all our cars is far from perfect. More power to you if you can keep yours great, but I hope you don`t beat yourself up too much if that doesn`t work out.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve still got mine, too, and it`s still useable after all these years !!
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

The wood trim probably has some sort of clear coat applied to it. A coating helps a bit but don`t expect it to be defect free.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    I`ve still got mine, too, and it`s still useable after all these years !!
    I oughta check mine again one of these days, when I cracked the cap back in ~`86 I thought it`d dry out in no time, but AFAIK it`s still OK. Kinda granular, but OK.

It always struck me as kinda a "yellowish version of Souveran without the signature smell" for some reason.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob M --
    I have always had great results from Zaino AIO ( All In One Cleaner Polish Protectant) on all coated wood trim on German Vehicles..

I use a soft microfiber towel to carefully rub it in, let it dry, and wipe it off.. It always really improves the look of the coated wood trim on these marques, and leaves a little protection until next time it comes in..

Have used it on every other marque and it also brings out the best look while clearing up the finish..

Zaino only sells 16 fl oz of the product, so I imagine 1 bottle would last you forever, if you decided to try it..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks All. I used to have Klasse AIO, but that is long since gone, but I do have a whole lot of Wolfgang`s DGPS as well as GG Poly Gloss Wax on hand as well as enough Kamikaze Miyabi Coating to use on the wood. I haven`t decided which one though. And Accumulator you are correct, keeping that area perfect is almost impossible especially since I garage park it in NYC a couple of days a week. It costs be a decent amount to schmooze those garage attendants to keep my car away from the others crammed in there, expecting them to white glove it with the delicate wood trim inside is pie in the sky. I`ll just accept that it ain`t gonna be perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- I`m always scratching my head about the apparent corrective power of ZAIO! Maybe I just expect too much of it. Sure do like the stuff though.

bob m- The KAIO is functionally nonabrasive, so anything with a little cut will improve things a bit more than that.

Glad you`re not being Autopian-nutty about it! Yeah, parking attendants (even the good ones), passengers, and just plain ol` Real Life can sure make for a reality-check. And any way you slice it, NYC is murder on cars.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Stokdgs- I`m always scratching my head about the apparent corrective power of ZAIO! Maybe I just expect too much of it. Sure do like the stuff though.

bob m- The KAIO is functionally nonabrasive, so anything with a little cut will improve things a bit more than that.

Glad you`re not being Autopian-nutty about it! Yeah, parking attendants (even the good ones), passengers, and just plain ol` Real Life can sure make for a reality-check. And any way you slice it, NYC is murder on cars.
    Hermano !

Zaino AIO has a mild abrasive in that I have found to work just right on that fragile, thinly coated wood trim in vehicles.. Just enough mild abrasive to not hurt it but will remove all the - life - that gets embedded to the trim just fine.. And it always leaves a nice gloss.. Smells nice too.. I have never needed to find something else to improve the result..

Perhaps you are thinking about Zaino Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover ?
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- No, I was indeed thinking of ZAIO, the only Z product other than Z16 that I`ve ever used. No corrective ability of note IM​E even though it apparently does it for others.

EDIT: Right off-hand, I can`t recall ever *trying* it on the interior wood. Maybe that`d be sufficiently soft for the ZAIO to do some correction after all even if it doesn`t do it for me on the rest of the car. I oughta try it sometime before I write it off for this.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I did with my dad’s interior trim.

Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Guz, do you feel the coating provides actual scratch-resistant protection? Thanks.
    Cars: bringing people together
    Thanks The Guz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    Guz, do you feel the coating provides actual scratch-resistant protection? Thanks.
    I’m not a believer in any coating being scratch resistant.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information