Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I`ve been gone for 10+ years, what`s new?! Need some help with wash technique...

Quote Originally Posted by 95maxrider View Post
    Thanks for the explanation on your foam gun setup. I`ll try it out as-is and see how it suits me. Your thumb operated lever sounds interesting. Got a link for it, or a pic of your setup?
    I don`t do the Digital Imaging thing, so no internet pix from me, probably not ever in this lifetime.

The shutoff is just a regular screw-on thing from Gilmour. They offer a "full flow" version that moves a lot of water. The product tag on the Gilmour piece says "Full-flow on/Off Valve" and an internet search oughta bring it up if they don`t have `em at your local Lowe`s/etc.

Hey, I messed up my description of how I set it all up I screw a male brass quick connect into the foamgun in place of the oe grip. That snaps into a female one on the output side of my shutoff. That shutoff screws onto my hose.

That oe grip *really* bugged me, but maybe you`ll like it just fine.
    The concept of polishes being oily is tough for me to wrap my head around. Is that a remnant of "old technology" polishes? A way to improve the finish?
    I just find the oils in Menzerna stuff and M205 really tough to deal with, but maybe that`s just me. They conceal light marring, sometimes doing a *LOT* of temporary concealing. They can mess with some LSPs too. But if you don`t have those problems then never mind me
    I take it the M101 is not oily like other Meg`s products?
    Right. The M105 wasn`t bad either, but M101 cuts better and has a little longer worktime.
    And by HD polish, you mean this 3D HD stuff?
    I had the older v1.0 version and haven`t tried the newer one.
    As far as the Griot`s stuff goes, I found a couple options, but I`m not sure how they compare to my IP and FF...Which two should I get? Is the Boss FCC as special as they make it out to be? Why the preference switch to Griot`s?
    I`d consider their Fast Correcting Cream and Perfecting Cream from the BOSS line. People I respect, and whose experiences/preferences seem similar to mine, all rave about those products enough that I`m willing to recommend them without having actually tried them myself.

The whole Correction Topic is a bit hard for me to discuss since, like Bill D, I basically just don`t need to do it any more...I`m not up-to-date by a long shot!

I remove my polish by hand, should I be using a machine, and if so, with which pad? Is it true that the 3D HD is actually dust free? How about the M101?
    I`d keep buffing `em off by hand. I sometimes buff off LSPs by machine, but never polish residues since that`d "work them more" and risk drying them out.

I never have to use M101 for more than RIDS, so I don`t know how it`d be dust-wise if doing a larger area. The 3D/HD (I can`t keep them straight ) don`t dust for me, but I don`t use much and I always buff off compound/polish residue while it`s still a little wet instead of letting them dry.

Yes, that post was helpful too Thank you all very much!
    Good, glad to be of help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I`ve been gone for 10+ years, what`s new?! Need some help with wash technique...

Regarding the oils in Menzerna products, they`re the only polishes I`ve ever used, so I don`t have anything to compare them to. For all I know, they`re messing with my LSP and I just don`t know it! I`ll look into the Griot`s stuff more, it sounds promising.
    1996 Infiniti I30, 1998 BMW M3, 2007 Infiniti FX35 AWD
    Flex 3401 buffer, Menzerna IP and FF, FK 1000P, Klasse SG

Post Thanks / Like

95maxrider- Note that I`m *not* all that concerned about the oils messing with LSPs. In fact, I`ve had quite the opposite experience:

Vehicle corrected via rotary (by a fellow Autopian and Pro whom I won`t mention). Holograms/etc. supposedly polished out with Menzerna po106ff. LSPed with Collinite 476S. Looked great, zero flaws. Parked for a few months...the Menzerna`s oils dissipated *under the Collinite without messing that up at all*, resulting in a nicely waxed vehicle with nasty holograms and other flaws that I couldn`t see before! The Collinite was still so healthy that I quickly found "just polishing through it" was a bad idea, had to strip it first. That soured me on Menzerna, whether fairly or not.

But that might not be an issue for you at all, so don`t let me influence you too much. If you like Menzerna, you`re sure not alone and if it works fine for you then I`d say that`s that. But I do think the GG might be All That.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    95maxrider- Note that I`m *not* all that concerned about the oils messing with LSPs. In fact, I`ve had quite the opposite experience:

Vehicle corrected via rotary (by a fellow Autopian and Pro whom I won`t mention). Holograms/etc. supposedly polished out with Menzerna po106ff. LSPed with Collinite 476S. Looked great, zero flaws. Parked for a few months...the Menzerna`s oils dissipated *under the Collinite without messing that up at all*, resulting in a nicely waxed vehicle with nasty holograms and other flaws that I couldn`t see before! The Collinite was still so healthy that I quickly found "just polishing through it" was a bad idea, had to strip it first. That soured me on Menzerna, whether fairly or not.

But that might not be an issue for you at all, so don`t let me influence you too much. If you like Menzerna, you`re sure not alone and if it works fine for you then I`d say that`s that. But I do think the GG might be All That.
    Like I said, it`s the only polish brand I`ve ever used, so I`ve just kind of accepted that this is how polish is supposed to be. But if I think critically, I remember that I hate how much it dusts, and I sometimes struggle to remove it by hand. I suppose both of those issues could be due to improper technique though. I`m wondering now if some of the marring on the car is due to the Menzerna oils washing off on the first wash....

I guess I`d be willing to try the Griot`s stuff. So Fast Correcting Cream and Perfecting Cream?
    1996 Infiniti I30, 1998 BMW M3, 2007 Infiniti FX35 AWD
    Flex 3401 buffer, Menzerna IP and FF, FK 1000P, Klasse SG

Post Thanks / Like

95maxrider, if I`m not mistaken the old Menz products you use aren`t the ones that got the bad rap for hiding defects, those were the ones that were originally made for Ceramiclear, like P106FF and PO85RD, if I`m remembering the numbers right. As I said earlier, polishes have come a long way, dusting is really a thing of the past, even for most compounds.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- Those are indeed the numbers of the two polishes that make me think "oily", those and the BF-labeled one for hard clear. If the Menzena stuff has changed so much I might oughta quit flaming it

95maxrider- Yeah, the FCC and PC are the two I`d buy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information