Post Thanks / Like

Fun with sealants

With my wife out of town I have a few days to clean her car up. She drives a 2018 Expedition Max Platinum which is a Suburban-class 7-passenger Mom-taxi. It sees a lot of back-and-forth to sports, carries a basset hound, and sees many road trips complete with in-car snacks and beverages. Honestly I don`t think I had climbed into the 3rd row since we bought it. And... you could tell. What a mess. I did my usual routine of throwing out trash (how many half-consumed water bottles can you hide in a car?) including the french fries and random goldfish crackers.

I started with Adams Interior Cleaning Gel. WOW do I hate the sprayer they bundle with that. It only provides a stream even if you have it set to "spray" so I ended up burying the tip in a towel to get it wet without splatter. The gel is certainly more viscous than their old Interior Cleaner, but honestly I don`t like it as well and with the goofy sprayer happening I just set it aside. I finished out the cleaning with McKees 37 Total Interior Cleaner which works just perfectly.

With a few days to get the car back into shape I decided to apply sealants to... everything. I have time to do the cleaning, wait, seal the surfaces, and wait again before she drives it. I coated all 7 of the leather-ish seats with Ultima Interior Protectant. So far, 12 hours into this, it seems great. It applies with a glossy, oily texture that put me into a small panic at first but rest assured it cures to a stock appearance.

For the hard interior surfaces, I went with Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant. This, too, goes on really wet and oily but cures to a stock-looking finish. I coated everything with this: seat rail covers, dash plastic, kick panels, hatchback-- everything. Why did I used both Ultima and Wolfgang? Because of a vague recollection of an AG review suggesting this usage and also because most of the fun is trying different products. Both of these sealants are really easy to work with, you apply them and pretty much walk away. I see a spot on an armrest where I left too much; I`ll look at leveling that tomorrow. My biggest problem is holding onto the Ultima bottle when I`ve got the chemical all over my hands (gloved or not) -- it gets comically slippery.

I applied the last of my CarPro Fabric to the carpets. So far all of my vacuuming has been surprisingly easy and I choose to believe the Fabric product is helping me there. Boy this stuff smells bad. Not Iron-X bad, but bad enough. The car need to air out for a good 30 min after applying this.

I also applied 303 Rubber Seal Protectant to all of the door and hatch seals. This product gets a solid, qualified, "meh" from me. It`s really runny and using this water-based formula after so much solvent-based sealant work, I can`t say that this had any effect for me. I`ll go out and look at the seals later to see if I can tell the difference, I should have left one naked. There are a LOT of door seals on a car like this, especially with the dual hatch design where the window can open separate from the lift gate.

This car doesn`t have a lot of exterior plastic trim, but where it does I applied Blackfire Total Trim & Tire Sealant. This stuff is THE BOMB if you like your plastic parts glossy and wet-looking. It is trivial to apply and where I used on my other vehicle, 2 weeks later it still looks wet but seems to be hard as nails. I`ve not tried this on tires, I don`t like glossy tires.

I can`t decide if I want to apply my beloved Adams Leather Conditioner to the seats once they`ve had enough time to cure. Any comments on that? Redundant?

I also put Weathertech Floor Liner Protectant on the mats. I don`t know how effective this stuff is, but I`ve got it so I used it.

I`ve also done some fun things with exterior sealants but will start a separate thread for that maybe tomorrow.

I`ll add some photos next.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with sealants

I don`t know how much leather these seats are made with, but the literature for all these consumer-grade sealants seem to agree that leather-ish is close enough to what they mean.

I ran the WG sealant all over the buttons and in-between.

This Ford has these factory coasters in all of the cubbies. Makes it great for cleaning out the many, many spills.

This is the 3rd row minus the "snack bar" leftovers and nicely sealed.

Seals... everywhere in this dual-hatch lift gate.

And yes, that D-pillar is going to see the business end of my polisher soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is where I didn’t get the Ultima leveled on the armrest (also at the right edge of the frame).

Here is the bottom of the lift gate.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Might have needed to give that armrest a good cleaning before using the Ultima. May be why it did not level well. I’m with you on CarPro Fabric, definitely hazardous to your health. Smells stronger than a coating.
    Thanks bofh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

bofh- How, uhm..."clean" is the 303 Rubber Seal Protectant? I.e., does it leave a residue on surfaces that contact the seals? Does it "dry DRY?" or does it seem to0 stay a little slimy?

I found Wurth`s product to be a little better than 1Z`s in this regard, but probably not enough better to justify the cost diff for most people.

IMO it`s not so much about the seals looking good, but rather about helping them stay functionally OK while not leaving a mess on anything that touches them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bofh
    I can`t decide if I want to apply my beloved Adams Leather Conditioner to the seats once they`ve had enough time to cure. Any comments on that? Redundant?
    I don`t think I`d do it. I`m the guy who posts about how he *does* sometimes "condition" modern, coated leather (with worthwhile results), but IMO those seats are new enough that I can`t see it doing anything (anything good, at least..) and it might not play nice with the Ultima Inerior Protectant that`s already on there. The Ultima might "protect" against the Adams.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    bofh- How, uhm..."clean" is the 303 Rubber Seal Protectant? I.e., does it leave a residue on surfaces that contact the seals? Does it "dry DRY?" or does it seem to0 stay a little slimy?
    Definitely DRY. No slime at all; probably because it`s water-based. So much so that I wonder how much protection it really provides but I`m glad to not get the slime feel that one gets from using tire shine. Even Perl seems goopy on seals. Am I talking my self into the 303...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I don`t think I`d do it. I`m the guy who posts about how he *does* sometimes "condition" modern, coated leather (with worthwhile results), but IMO those seats are new enough that I can`t see it doing anything (anything good, at least..) and it might not play nice with the Ultima Inerior Protectant that`s already on there. The Ultima might "protect" against the Adams.
    I`ve used it on these seats in the past and been super happy with the results. If for no other reason, that leather-boot smell!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Might have needed to give that armrest a good cleaning before using the Ultima. May be why it did not level well.
    Thinking about it later, I wonder if I didn`t lean my sweaty arm on the rest while finishing the other seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Definitely DRY. No slime at all; probably because it`s water-based. So much so that I wonder how much protection it really provides but I`m glad to not get the slime feel that one gets from using tire shine. Even Perl seems goopy on seals. Am I talking my self into the 303...?
    Hey, that`s good! The two I mentioned are also (AFAIK) water-based (not sure about the aerosol version of the Wurth, but that`s something different..).

When glass presses against the seals any residue transfer can be a headache.

I don`t think of these as being long-term protection, but rather a way to, uhm..."nourish"...(scare-quotes intentional) the seals. I hardly ever use such stuff unless the seals look/feel like they need it (some start to squeak), but that must be sufficient since all our vehicles are older and all their seals are fine despite such minimal treatment. (Well, OK..the ones that were trashed before I bought the vehicle are just in "pretty good" shape, but they`re still OK functionally and they look good enough for us.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    I`ve used it on these seats in the past and been super happy with the results. If for no other reason, that leather-boot smell!
    OK, understand..heh heh, I might be the only guy here who *does NOT* want that scent in his leather interiors!

I doubt it`d mess with your Ultima and since you like it, well..why not?!?

Oh, just thought.. might it mess with your ability to add more Ultima later? I bet not since a light cleaning will probably only strip the Adams, but what do I know?!?
    Thanks bofh thanked for this post

Thread Information