Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

First time pressure washer buyer!

Hey Autopia! I`ve been lurking here for a while, but this is my first post.

I recently purchased my first home (with a garage) and I now have the space to fully indulge in one of my favorite hobbies - Detailing. Up to this point I`ve been a little nomadic and have never had the appropriate space to own and use a pressure washer but now that I do, I want to buy one. I figured the denizens of Autopia would be a good group to ask about a starting point.

A quick run-down of what I`m looking for:
    • "Leisure" use only; detailing isn`t my career, it`s only a hobby so I won`t need to be using it in a professional setting.
    • Electric - I prefer not to use gas powered tools if I can help it.
    • Entry level - I don`t need anything really high-end. I just want something that`ll remove caked on dirt and be decent with a foam cannon.
      • No specific dollar amount on the budget; just something reasonably priced. (I know that`s subjective.)

• Foam cannon to go with it? Gun/wand replacement? Other bits and pieces I need to concern myself with?

Thanks in advance! Happy to finally be posting.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time pressure washer buyer!

Look for 1300 -1800 psi. More psi would be ok with right tips, if using around house too. More gpm is better but in reality for car washing I bought a ryobi 2300 psi with only 1.2 gsm and works fine, even with foam cannons. I chose this one because it uses a brushless motor that should last longer. It’s around $279 at Home Depot.

Knowing what I know now and not wanting to break bank, I would look at sun joe commercial series. If using for home to, I’d get the 1800 psi 1.6 gpm model. Auto only the 1300 psi 2.0 gpm

If not familiar psi is pressure (strength) of blast. GPM is how much water flow.

Also if going electric route and getting a foam cannon, I’d recommend just getting the MTM pf22 it’s around $80 but performs well with electrics. Make sure to install smaller 1.1 orifice. I’ve tried several well reviewed cheaper models from Amazon and they don’t compare. Save your money and do that the right way first time.

Oh and Welcome! Enjoy the addiction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have a gas powered PW so I can`t help you there.

But I have swivel connectors on both the lance and gun that make life much easier. Don`t know what the electric models come with, but I also purchased a 25` hose as opposed to the 50` that came with the PW and that`s easier to manage as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Sevans- Welcome to Autopia!

I don`t know from the Foam Cannons, but if you just wanted something to get the "big stuff" off before a regular wash (whatever that means to you..) you might get by just fine with a ~$70 cheapie, as I`ve done for the last few years.

If you do want to do the foaming, I`m sure you`ll get even more helpful responses from those who know, that approach is pretty popular these days.

EDIT: If you haven`t aready seen it, check out this thread Pressure washer and foam cannon recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autopia and to the addiction. My current pressure washer is the SunJoe SPX3000. It`s advertised specs are 2030 psi, and 1.76 gpm...both of which are overstated. I expect I`m getting maybe 1700 psi and 1.3 gpm...still more than enough for car washing. I have two foam cannons...a 20.00 Amazon cheapie, and and MTM PF22. As Coatings=Crack said, spend the extra, get the PF22 and install the smaller orifice. The cheapie works, but not as well as the PF22. I`ve recently added the MTM SGS28 spray gun and the `bent` wand, which are nice but not necessary. Spend some time out on Youtube, and you`ll see what all the fuss is about.
    Likes Coatings=crack, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been very happy with the same SunJoe. And welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Buy the cheapest one you can get by with. They don`t last a long time and it`s a whole lot easier for me to buy another $60 one than to think about buying parts, if you can even find them.

Post Thanks / Like

To me flexibility of the hose is a big point. A stiff hose is just difficult to work with. ( I can hear all the jokes about that sentence coming)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    To me flexibility of the hose is a big point. A stiff hose is just difficult to work with. ( I can hear all the jokes about that sentence coming)
    Agreed, my Karcher’s have turned out to be good machines but their hoses suck, end of story. I’d be hard pressed to buy them again for this very reason. If you haven’t owned one you might be saying get a different hose. Due to their proprietary fittings it makes upgrading difficult, not impossible but not easy.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Sevans- Welcome to Autopia!

I don`t know from the Foam Cannons, but if you just wanted something to get the "big stuff" off before a regular wash (whatever that means to you..) you might get by just fine with a ~$70 cheapie, as I`ve done for the last few years.

If you do want to do the foaming, I`m sure you`ll get even more helpful responses from those who know, that approach is pretty popular these days.

EDIT: If you haven`t aready seen it, check out this thread Pressure washer and foam cannon recommendations
    The idea is mostly to just spray "the big stuff" off first before doing the regular wash; I`m partial to rinseless washing but I`m uncomfortable doing it when there`s caked dirt on the front and sides of the vehicle. The foam cannon, for me, is really just about novelty and relaxing on a gorgeous afternoon.

Thanks to everyone for the input and the warm welcomes thus far!
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Really any pressure washer is significantly better than a hose. A cheapie included.

It would depend on what you want. If you own a home, a gas one will likely come in handy for other jobs.

I have 2 top of the line AR Blue consumer electrics. While I like the form / function of the machine - I can not recommend them due to reliability. Karcher was a better built machine for me.

TBH - I think a gas machine can be more “practical” than an electric - assuming you have the right living environment & own other small engine machines.

Gas machines likely will come with a much better hose. This is a big deal you will see once you use a cheapie vinyl hose. Nothing to plug in. Better & quicker results. Universal fittings - so can use any tip.

Of course you have to have gas on hand, fuel stabilizer, maintain the engine, etc... Not so big of a deal if you have other small engine machines. Prolly a lot to get just to use to wash a car when electrics require none of that.

There is a significant difference between the power of gas compared to electric. Electric is better likely if you plan to use the machine to wash the whole car - because the engine runs the whole time with gas. I primarily use it to pressure wash off the big stuff & then just use a hose for wheels & then a rinse-less wash for paint. So gas works for me - but I’ve used electrics for years.

Post Thanks / Like

These thread always make me pine for my old gas ones...sigh. Not that I used `em on the vehicles since I work indoors.

Swanicyouth- I always found it funny that your better-spec AR units didn`t hold up as well as my bottom-spec one has! I wore out the original hose, and I`d better start thinking about another replacement before it suddenly becomes critical, but other than that it just keeps on working despite *ZERO* care or maintenance and I do mean none at all. I`ve run it for over 6 hours straight when using it for property maintenance (for which it`s hopelessly underpowered ) and it`s never missed a beat.

Post Thanks / Like

The one that I would recommend is made by Power Products USA, NXG 2200. It has 1.76 GPM and 2200 psi. Price is $187.20.
    https://www.amazon.com/Brushless-Induction-Technology-Generation-Power/dp/B07CXN3H8W/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3HCUEFXPGFEHR&keywords=power+produ cts+usa&qid=1558907089&s=gateway&sprefix=power+pro ducts+%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-2

The company is based in the USA. According to the company, their own American engineers design their pressure washers. The design is then produced in China. They have a guarantee that if you are not 100% satisfied they will give your money back. All support is handled in the USA.
    Hose connections are metal. The motor is a 14.5 amp induction motor.
    I think I might buy one of these.
    Other than MTM, Trinova (Amazon) makes a good foam cannon. Also the MTV 925 foam cannon.
    (Luxury Microfiber)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kajunman View Post
    The one that I would recommend is made by Power Products USA, NXG 2200. It has 1.76 GPM and 2200 psi. Price is $187.20.
    https://www.amazon.com/Brushless-Induction-Technology-Generation-Power/dp/B07CXN3H8W/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3HCUEFXPGFEHR&keywords=power+produ cts+usa&qid=1558907089&s=gateway&sprefix=power+pro ducts+%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-2

The company is based in the USA. According to the company, their own American engineers design their pressure washers. The design is then produced in China. They have a guarantee that if you are not 100% satisfied they will give your money back. All support is handled in the USA.
    Hose connections are metal. The motor is a 14.5 amp induction motor.
    I think I might buy one of these.
    Other than MTM, Trinova (Amazon) makes a good foam cannon. Also the MTV 925 foam cannon.
    (Luxury Microfiber)

Now you got my attention First time pressure washer buyer!
    Will have to take a good look at this brushless PW .

My Ryobi PW that I picked up for 90$ is good,but sounds funny a year in.

I might supplement it with a more portable PW

Plus this lightweight Cannon

Good luck Sevans, please let us know whatcha got
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    Now you got my attention First time pressure washer buyer!
    Will have to take a good look at this brushless PW .

My Ryobi PW that I picked up for 90$ is good,but sounds funny a year in.

I might supplement it with a more portable PW

Plus this lightweight Cannon

Good luck Sevans, please let us know whatcha got
    Mary,

haven’t tried that one but 3 others from amazon. with low gpm electric pressure washer just wait for mtm sale and buy pf22. Others didn’t work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information