Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting use for a paint sprayer

So I`m perusing through some Youtube videos and I saw this and thought this is an interesting idea - using a paint sprayer as sort of a poor man`s pw to loosen up the dirt prior to a rr or ww wash - especially in water restricted areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJpDk2U7bVA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interesting use for a paint sprayer

[True Confession: I didn`t watch the video ]

Garry Dean does something similar with his IUDJ.

I use my Lonn Cleaning Gun instead and it works well as long as the LSP is healthy, the vehicle isn`t too dirty, and my compressor is turned up to a potent psi.

I dunno about the "poor man`s.." aspect of it though since a compressor costs a bit and a decent (for carwashing) pressure washer is about $80. Nice to have both though, if that`s doable.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.amazon.com/Ywillink-Pres...dp/B07CQXFY49/

That might be more handy than a paint sprayer with a small can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    So I`m perusing through some Youtube videos and I saw this and thought this is an interesting idea - using a paint sprayer as sort of a poor man`s pw to loosen up the dirt prior to a rr or ww wash - especially in water restricted areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJpDk2U7bVA
    Scott always thinks outside the box. He is opinionated but also very innovative.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I believe this was covered in a different thread. Contrary to the impression given by the OP and the impression some of you got, resulting in comments about compressor cost and cup size, the video shows a Harbor Freight airless paint sprayer that draws from a large bucket.

I was actually intrigued enough by this idea that I bought one when it was on sale, but true to form, I haven`t used it yet. However, I can attest to the fact that the unopened box makes a nice stand for the little trash basket I have near the front door when I go through the mail.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I believe this was covered in a different thread. Contrary to the impression given by the OP and the impression some of you got, resulting in comments about compressor cost and cup size, the video shows a Harbor Freight airless paint sprayer that draws from a large bucket.

I was actually intrigued enough by this idea that I bought one when it was on sale, but true to form, I haven`t used it yet. However, I can attest to the fact that the unopened box makes a nice stand for the little trash basket I have near the front door when I go through the mail.

I didn`t watch the video. Sounds like it would work best as a distilled water rinse from a bucket.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting use for a paint sprayer-62915_zzz_500.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... if that`s the tool....ummm... why not just use a pressure washer or a Worx Hydroshot?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    [True Confession: I didn`t watch the video ]

Garry Dean does something similar with his IUDJ.

I use my Lonn Cleaning Gun instead and it works well as long as the LSP is healthy, the vehicle isn`t too dirty, and my compressor is turned up to a potent psi.

I dunno about the "poor man`s.." aspect of it though since a compressor costs a bit and a decent (for carwashing) pressure washer is about $80. Nice to have both though, if that`s doable.
    Ooopppps, I did not see the price correctly, video states $169.00, Harbor Freight $219.00. Yep, a PW would be the more versatile and cost effective way to go - unless - I`m just guessing here, water restrictions are so tight that even PW`s are prohibited.

Post Thanks / Like

The Krause & Becker doesn`t require a water hook up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tc99m View Post
    The Krause & Becker doesn`t require a water hook up.
    Neither does a hydroshot. I forget the brand but there was another portable wash machine that was all the rage about 10 years ago here. Bought one and it has done a great job collecting dust!
    Likes Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    Ooopppps, I did not see the price correctly, video states $169.00, Harbor Freight $219.00. Yep, a PW would be the more versatile and cost effective way to go - unless - I`m just guessing here, water restrictions are so tight that even PW`s are prohibited.
    They put it on sale periodically for the $169. I thought it was an interesting way to extend the use of rinseless washes to dirtier vehicles, or during a warm snap in the winter when it`s warm enough to wash but not warm enough to bring the hose out.

Post Thanks / Like

How much pressure do the paint sprayers generate? With ~>120psi (and more is better) the Lonn Cleaning Gun works OK with IUDJ, but when it turn it down enough it`s less than (my version of) effective.

I don`t see the advantages of the paint sprayers unless they`re a lot cheaper than the Lonn (forget what that cost, got it from my wife as a gift). The paint guns I`ve used didn`t spray all that hard even when I was messing around at extreme pressures, but the Lonn has some oomph to it.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought this was how detailers were using the Tornado (amongst other applications). People were all over it a while ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    How much pressure do the paint sprayers generate? With ~>120psi (and more is better) the Lonn Cleaning Gun works OK with IUDJ, but when it turn it down enough it`s less than (my version of) effective.

I don`t see the advantages of the paint sprayers unless they`re a lot cheaper than the Lonn (forget what that cost, got it from my wife as a gift). The paint guns I`ve used didn`t spray all that hard even when I was messing around at extreme pressures, but the Lonn has some oomph to it.
    The specs on that pictured HF unit say 1000-3000 psi--remember, it probably needs that pressure to push paint through the thing--the video guy makes a point of saying the thing will probably last forever spraying water. I was intrigued by it for a better way to do a pre-rinse before rinseless, better than a pump-up sprayer.

For someone that washes indoors as you do, I don`t imagine it`s applicable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information