Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foam gun - foam cannon?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Regulars here already know that:

I will not wash without a foamgun (Gilmour) as it`s the only way I can avoid wash-induced marring. If a wash medium is touching my paint, the foamgun is spraying output at the point of medium-to-paint contact. Always. Period.
    Whenever I consider giving your approach a try I end up reconsidering as I foresee some hose rubbing against the paint, at least for the learning process.

Also, how do you go about home touchless washing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lloydrm View Post
    Whenever I consider giving your approach a try I end up reconsidering as I foresee some hose rubbing against the paint, at least for the learning process.
    Actually, that`s never been a problem for me. Replacing the foamgun`s pistol-grip with a (straight, inline) shutoff orients the hose straight out the back and, well...IME solves that potential problem. An uber-careful person could drape the hose over his shoulder but IMO that`d be uncomfortable and would maybe make an "oops!" even more likely.

IMO the pistol-grip is simply wrong for what I`m doing, replace that and it oughta go fine.

Also, how do you go about home touchless washing?
    This is another one I oughta write up properly some time...very short version follows:

What I do requires a Pressure Washer and a Tornador and a Lonn Cleaning Gun (the latter two require a compressor, which I need for drying anyhow)

-Pressure Washer rinse, first with filtered/softened water and then with DeIonized water

Inspect/evaluate, then, as needed:

-Spray off with Lonn Cleaning Gun using IUDJ

and/or

-Spot-clean with Tornador, using either IUDJ or DI waster

-Inspect/evaluate, repeat above as needed

When sufficiently clean, blow dry with AirWand and Compressor. This will sometimes result in residual dirt being brought out of nooks/crannies, requiring repeat of above cleaning steps, followed by more drying.

-Clean exterior glass

-Dress Tires (as needed)

That only works if the LSP is healthy and the vehicle isn`t too dirty. FWIW, it takes me a lot longer to do the above than many here spend on a conventional wash (let alone a RW/WW one!), but it seems that everything Detailing-related takes me longer than it does others.
    Likes lloydrm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Accumulator, I might give the foam gun a try. In theory it makes sense to me but, like I said, practice “seems” tricky/challenging but it might be worth trying.
    I am not 100% sold on the benefits of a foam cannon, but it <seems to me> like the foam gun approach could work well for me. I hope this also helps the OP inform his decision. I know that was a question I had for chosing a gun or a cannon.

Also, your touchless system does seem labor intensive yet it all makes sense to me. I guess I’d rather spend the time on a full wash but its good to have options on your back pocket. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting and helpful (as usual) comments/suggestions.

I have decided to.... get both a gun and a cannon. Autopia had a 25% sale and I decided on their (Gilmour) gun - looks solid and reviews are good. My 2 or 3 GG guns just never lasted. I will use this on a regular basis UNTIL I buy a decent PW and Cannon. The PW/Cannon combo will be my go to foam/wash set up most of the time and the PS will also serve for around the house/yard cleaning also. I will look for one with a GPM of at least 1.5 as BudgetPlan1 mentioned though a quick look in Home Depot`s offerings means something more than $250.00 - again as BP1 mentioned. Years ago I had a gas and electric unit and both leaked and I ended up getting rid of them. I`m looking now at electric - not gas and won`t spend any more than needed - no high end machines for me. I will also buy it local because if there is a problem I do not want to deal with shipping issues.

Accumulator - Actually, that`s never been a problem for me. Replacing the foamgun`s pistol-grip with a (straight, inline) shutoff orients the hose straight out the back and, well...IME solves that potential problem. An uber-careful person could drape the hose over his shoulder but IMO that`d be uncomfortable and would maybe make an "oops!" even more likely.
    IMO the pistol-grip is simply wrong for what I`m doing, replace that and it oughta go fine. Would love to see a picture of that set-up.
    Also, I`m in agreement with Mary B`s sentiments - there are times when I simply want to lay down some foam fast and easy and not drag out the pw and cannon. So even though there is some redundancy in applications/usage with the cannon and gun, for my own regimen, there`s enough of a difference to get both of them. Of course since I don`t have a money tree in the yard, I`ll wait until I have the funds available to get the pw/cannon but until then, I`m sure I`m going to like the gun.
    Last edited by bob m; 05-12-2019 at 07:53 AM. Reason: grammar

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Accumulator, I might give the foam gun a try. In theory it makes sense to me but, like I said, practice “seems” tricky/challenging but it might be worth trying...
    And trying and trying and trying Just kidding, well...sorta! I must`ve done a few dozen washes before I got squared-away and can sure understand somebody else not going through all that. Definitely an approach that`s not for everyone.

.. your touchless system does seem labor intensive yet it all makes sense to me. I guess I’d rather spend the time on a full wash but its good to have options on your back pocket.
    I guess it seems like "the quick and easy approach" to me because I`m so extreme about what a "normal maintenance wash" amounts to I`ve been thinking about what I do and how long it takes compared with what others do...and remember that I`m *ALL* about efficiency. Redundant systems on both sides of the wash bay so I never waste a *moment* grabbing the right BHB/swab/mitt, even have a whole separate setup for use on the undercarriage as I was wasting time using the setup for the wheelwells. I just don`t know how people do it so much faster...glad they can, but I can`t.

Post Thanks / Like

bob m- I bet that somebody here who posts pix has done the grip-for-shutoff conversion, if only because I can`t *imagine* anyone using that [darn] oe setup for long, it`s just too awkward. I changed mine after the first use.

Heh heh, I still don`t plan to ever post an image to the internet. Just one of those things I don`t do

Post Thanks / Like

Her ya go https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...tml#post821755

Accumulator, thanks for letting me know it will take some time getting used to. I too got a hose and nozzle for each side of the car. I think it helps a bit. I learned that here, maybe it from you. Its been a while and can’t remember.

Post Thanks / Like

Her ya go https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...tml#post821755

Accumulator, thanks for letting me know it will take some time getting used to. I too got a hose and nozzle for each side of the car. I think it helps a bit. I learned that here, maybe it from you. Its been a while and can’t remember.
    Aha, thank you for posting.

Post Thanks / Like

lloydrm- Hey, that thread/pic you linked is great! And oh boy is his shutoff better than mine.

I do it a *little* differently in that my shutoffs are on the end of the hoses, followed by a female quick connect (male in back of foamguns). Just easier for *me* since I`m using so many different nozzles/etc. all the time (e.g., the hoses for the foamguns get used for the UnderCar Wand and the Pressure washer since those are never used at the same time as the foamguns). IMO everybody will have to figure out what setup works best for his specific needs, lots of flexibility.

And yeah...I`m all about Redundant Systems. It started with the "two is one and one is none" philosophy and became a means of being more efficient. I`m thinking about getting a few more creepers, then I`ll *really* be efficient about it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information