Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Foam gun - foam cannon?

I have/had a GG Foam Gun - ya know the one that goes on the end of the garden hose. This is the second or third unit as none of them lasted - that aside GG Customer Service is excellent.

So, I`m thinking about either getting one but am also considering getting a PW and if I get the PW would get the foam cannon. Would this be a wasteful redundancy in equipment and technique having both the foam gun and cannon?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foam gun - foam cannon?

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    I have/had a GG Foam Gun - ya know the one that goes on the end of the garden hose. This is the second or third unit as none of them lasted - that aside GG Customer Service is excellent.

So, I`m thinking about either getting one but am also considering getting a PW and if I get the PW would get the foam cannon. Would this be a wasteful redundancy in equipment and technique having both the foam gun and cannon?

I too once bought a foam gun in hopes that it would help me with washing, it helped but I wanted more. [Aside: The Gilmour Foam Gun is the one to get]..... I then decided to upgrade my $90 Greenworks with new hose, gun, and foam cannon. Then, I decided that my PW wasn`t cleaning as well as I would like, then came the SunJoe. Now, I want to get the hose that I originally wanted, as well as the gun set up. A foam canon with the correct soap is a killer for prewash soak. The right pressure washer also makes a big difference as well, in terms of actual cleaning, the bottom line is ~1.5gpm and ~1,200psi. It all depends on your budget. My presoak regularly switches between Chemical Guys Honey Dew Snow Foam (GG Surface Wash was too new for me to buy) and Purple Power Boat & RV, or a mix between the two. It is nice to have both units, but with the actual cleaning that I get done with the PW, I haven`t used my foam gun in years. The PW just cleans all the nooks and crannies so much better, after a foam soak, I can rinse off the majority of the traffic film off of the panel. As a result, there isn`t as much build up in cracks or trim pieces.

My advice: buy once and cry once.
    Likes Mary B, minerigger liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    I too once bought a foam gun in hopes that it would help me with washing, it helped but I wanted more. [Aside: The Gilmour Foam Gun is the one to get]..... I then decided to upgrade my $90 Greenworks with new hose, gun, and foam cannon. Then, I decided that my PW wasn`t cleaning as well as I would like, then came the SunJoe. Now, I want to get the hose that I originally wanted, as well as the gun set up. A foam canon with the correct soap is a killer for prewash soak. The right pressure washer also makes a big difference as well, in terms of actual cleaning, the bottom line is ~1.5gpm and ~1,200psi. It all depends on your budget. My presoak regularly switches between Chemical Guys Honey Dew Snow Foam (GG Surface Wash was too new for me to buy) and Purple Power Boat & RV, or a mix between the two. It is nice to have both units, but with the actual cleaning that I get done with the PW, I haven`t used my foam gun in years. The PW just cleans all the nooks and crannies so much better, after a foam soak, I can rinse off the majority of the traffic film off of the panel. As a result, there isn`t as much build up in cracks or trim pieces.

My advice: buy once and cry once.
    Thanks and the Foam Cannon you have/recommend is?

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, a foam Cannon is much better than a foam gun. Does a much better job. Just my opinion though

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks and the Foam Cannon you have/recommend is?
    MTM PF22, either get the SGS-28 kit with the canon and purchase the lance separately or get the gun kit with lance and purchase the canon separately. I suggest an UBERFLEX type hose as your patience with thank you, 50ft. All connectors can be sourced through Amazon.

Post Thanks / Like

I chose my pressure washer cuz it was the only one from a name brand I could find under $250 with a brushless motor and over 2000 psi as I also use it around house. My only mistake is not paying att to gpm,s. It has 1.2 and I would like higher.

The amazon suds magic Foam cannon did alright but foam would cover car white but was runny. Bought griots surface wash and was runnier but worked better. I had a 75$ gift card and wouldn’t you know mtm was having a sale and cost me about $73. I would have bought their anyways as they include the 1.1 orifice you’ll need.

It foams nice and thick with 1/10 of CG snow foam and the surface prep dwells more too. I’ve started mixing 1.5 to 1.5 to 25 oz of water and love it.

I would recommend getting any psi on an electric you want but at least 1.5 gsm.

I’ve used three foam cannons one for $20, one for $40 and the Pf22. Save your money buy the PF22.

I bought the flexzilla 50 ft 1/4 inch and love it. Would highly recommend.

I bought the sg35 stubby gun from MTM and it’s all I use.... no wand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

To many it seems that the PF22 is the way to go but for me it was just a complete waste of money.
    I have 3 cannons 1st I got on the amazon for about 50 I believe (I git it because the specs it was rated for was almost exactly what my PW was rated at 3100psi and 2.8gpm) I also got a 22 with the sg28 gun and have a 3rd china special thgat I got for like $12.

Here is a short clip showing how the work for me with a strong 4 to 1 mixture of fast foam and set to all the way - on the knob which gives full soap.

https://youtu.be/7ERwvVrxdic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient_1 View Post
    To many it seems that the PF22 is the way to go but for me it was just a complete waste of money.
    I have 3 cannons 1st I got on the amazon for about 50 I believe (I git it because the specs it was rated for was almost exactly what my PW was rated at 3100psi and 2.8gpm) I also got a 22 with the sg28 gun and have a 3rd china special thgat I got for like $12.

Here is a short clip showing how the work for me with a strong 4 to 1 mixture of fast foam and set to all the way - on the knob which gives full soap.

With gas most will work well. Most who the pf22 works better for have electric and way lower gpm’s. Also most use a 10/1 ratio. At 4 to one your wasting a lot of soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Good question.

To me, the foam gun set up is way easier & cheaper.
    Gun, hose, soap and water. You’re in business.
    Good for quick washes and when you don’t feel like lugging out the PW equipment.

Now a set up for a PW.
    That’s like assembling a kit with many pieces.
    I started with cheaper cannons to get the feel of things,
    ended up with the best I could find. My PW is electric
    which I like because it only kicks in when I pull the trigger.

This thread has me thinking of a cannon I always wanted to try.

To blast the dirt out and away, a PW is my choice.
    I will most likely not ever use my foam gun again.

Likes SGM2008 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I never use a power washer because my car never gets very dirty so I only have foam guns. I do always wash with the extreme wash method though: constantly running the foam gun over the surface of the car while whisking with the mitt.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Mary B liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks All. A PW and Canon is definitely in my very near future. Electric with proper suggested power and the correct hose. And can/will serve for around the house cleanups also. What`s the advantage of the lance/wand? Worth the extra $$?

But I also agree with this from Mary: To me, the foam gun set up is way easier & cheaper.
    Good for quick washes and when you don’t feel like lugging out the PW equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

I started with, and still have, a SunJoe SPX3000 and it works very well. The fittings on it are crap, which you`d expect from this level power washer. It`s specs are 2030 psi/1.76gpm.....both very overstated. The SunJoe comes with a quick disconnect at the end of its gun, so you`re all set if you buy a foam cannon. The hose is useable, but at some point you`d want to upgrade it. It has all the tips, so, out of the box, it`s ready to go. Pick yourself up a 20.00 Amazon knock-off foam cannon, and you can get started. In order to get the most out of your SunJoe, or any electric p/w, you;ll want to switch out the standard orifice in the cannon (1.25mm) for the smaller (1.1mm) one. It will make a big difference in the foam.

I did get a PF22 for Christmas, and it`s noticeably better than the cheapie. I`ve also just upgraded to the MTM SGS28/bent wand combo. The bent wand makes it easy to reach up into the wheel wells, but I can see a day when I might not use it at all. I`m getting ready to upgrade my power washer setup too.....nothing crazy like a 1300.00 Kranzle, but a stationary unit made by Comet.

For what it`s worth, I`ve gotten very good foam from Griots Surface Wash, MTM Perfoamance Soap, Chemical Guys Honeydew, Masterson`s Mystic snow Foam and Jay Leno`s Garage Vehicle Wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient_1 View Post

I`m sorry, but in your video you didn`t even adjust the solution control knob, no wonder you think it`s a waste of money....... With the knob full open and the amount of solution that is trying to be metered into the flow path, the aerator isn`t working effectively. I`d try dialing back the control knob.

@1:09, that is what the pf22 is supposed to sound like when the solution control knob is adjusted properly.

Likes SGM2008 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks All. A PW and Canon is definitely in my very near future. Electric with proper suggested power and the correct hose. And can/will serve for around the house cleanups also. What`s the advantage of the lance/wand? Worth the extra $$?

But I also agree with this from Mary: To me, the foam gun set up is way easier & cheaper.

IMO if you are going to use the PW as tool to clean your car. A lance/wand is necessary so you reach the lower parts of the car without needed to be bending down. Also this can be sound a little harsh. But if you don`t take advantage of the cleaning ability the PW gives you. You can stay with the garden hose setup. Cause the only thing you will do with as so many has taken for the standard and have 1000psi and snubb gun and a 40degree nozzle tip is rinse the car. And for rinsing the hose beats the PW any day. Sure you have to respect the power from the water pressure from the PW. But it`s like useing a polisher or any power tools you will learn where it`s safe and don`t put the nozzle to close to the vehical. I don`t know if it`s that it`s where more common with gas PW and now that scares also when you useing an electric PW. The power between them is very far away from each other. With 1.2gpm you will not doing any damage with 25 or 15 degree nozzle tip if there is not already a damage on the vehical. And there is a benefit with getting the most powerfull electric PW you can have. In both cleaning ability and the time you save. I started with a smaller specs PW maybe 1500psi and 1.2gpm. When I bought the Kärcher K7 with 2600psi 2.6gpm specs on 240v. I would say I cut down the time with 65%-75% and the dirt is very much less left. Did a test side by side when I bought the K7 and was amazed by the difference between them.

Also want to note that I go farther between the washes that is mostly done here by the members. So the amount of dirt is also higher. But if I do a weekly or every other week. I feel like I get away with a touchless wash a couple of times before needed to be touch washing it. So say you want to be doing a fast wash. It`s quite easy to setup the PW and fill the foamcannon bottle and 15 minutes later a clean car.

Have not used a foam gun. But if you use it as a prewash and PW. I don`t think it`s that much difference to a foamcannon depending on the environment you wash in. The benefit with foamcannon is the longer dwell time. But the heavy lifting with cleaning is done by the PW and the prewash ads a notch cleaner surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Regulars here already know that:

I will not wash without a foamgun (Gilmour) as it`s the only way I can avoid wash-induced marring. If a wash medium is touching my paint, the foamgun is spraying output at the point of medium-to-paint contact. Always. Period.

I got a *very* cheap pressure washer a few years ago as a Christmas present and I use it at every wash too.

And/but I have zero interest in a foamcannon. I even bought one a while back and never bothered figuring out how to hook it up to a pressure washer. For *ME* (not necessarily for others), it`s a solution in search of a problem. And/but#2, I can do a Home Touchless Wash without it just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information