Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 Beginner`s List of SiO2 Spray Products

I can attest that PA Presto lasts months in good weather. However, I had no idea it had sio2.

I agree that ECH20 shouldn’t make the list, but just by a hair. It’s one of those “if it’s 60 degrees and not raining you’ll get a few weeks” type sprays.
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    RLM, any issues if I move Overcoat, Cosmic and Viking since others are averaging less than 5 months?

Other option for these 3 that was suggested before but I’m worried could create new debate is to add a “Premium 4-5 month maintenance sprays” category. My fear being the some other maintenance sprays can be argued to creep into the subcategory, destabilizing the lists for awhile.

Thoughts welcome!
    Line pretty substantial. Pricing usually reflect. Those three toppers cost more than coating lites! If IGL is in topper it to is $60. Maybe not base on price. Standard topper/luxury topper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Former Justice Potter Stewart of the Supreme Court of the United States, in attempting to classify what material constituted exactly "what is obscene," famously wrote, "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced ... but I know it when I see it...."
    Perhaps variety of experiences and expectations will never allow for a true consensus so we could always borrow the definition of obscenity. Lord knows the pricing of some of this stuff would appear to be obscene to the common person...
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Perhaps variety of experiences and expectations will never allow for a true consensus so we could always borrow the definition of obscenity. Lord knows the pricing of some of this stuff would appear to be obscene to the common person...
    If you told me a year ago I’d spend $116 dollars on 16 oz of any liquid I woulda died laughing. I feel shame and pure joy lookin at that bottle of cosmic spritz....

Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Coating Lites (7+ month durability):
    Gyeon CanCoat
    TAC Moonlight
    Angelwax TI-22 (avg. durability unconfirmed)

Substantial Coating Sprays (~4-6 month durability)
    IGL Premier
    Kamikaze Overcoat
    PA Viking Spritz
    PA Cosmic Spritz
    Angelwax Enigma QED
    Adam`s Ceramic Spray Coating (avg. durability unconfirmed)

Coating Maintenance Sprays (~0.5-3 month durability):
    22ple VS1 Final Coat
    Feynlab Ceramic Spray Sealant
    PA High Gloss
    PA Carnauba Arts sprays (contains carnauba)
    PA Rapidwaxx (contains carnauba)
    PA Presto (contains carnauba)
    TAC Quartzmax
    CarPro Reload
    CarPro Elixir
    Gtechniq C2V2
    Gyeon Cure
    Hydrosilex Recharge
    Mckees 10 Minute Paint Sealant
    Blackfire SiO2 Spray
    Wolfgang SiO2 Spray
    Pinnacle SiO2 Spray
    Mothers CMX
    Blackfire Coating Booster
    PBL Coating Booster
    Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer
    Shine Supply Clutch
    Adam`s Ceramic Boost
    DPC Armor
    Dr. Beasley`s AdvanceCoat: Gloss
    Surf City Garage Speed Shield
    Britemax Remax SiO2 Hydrophobic Spray Sealant (avg. durability unconfirmed)
    Jay Leno Radiant (avg. durability unconfirmed)

I tried to incorporate all suggestions over the last day and a half. I know there`s a month gap in-between the groups, but since they are estimated durations, it creates a little border between each. If you hate my 3rd group name, feel free to comment. I veered from "Premium" out since it shouldn`t depend on price, just durability.

Updates in red, including Cure and Jay Leno added. Wasn`t sure if Angelwax TI-22 belonged in Substantial or Coating Lite. I removed the Sonax`s. I didn`t add Gliss or TAC Top Coat because I don`t believe these are sprays.
    Likes Coatings=crack, SWETM, Tc99m, Loach liked this post
    Thanks Coatings=crack, Tc99m thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Darn good list! I’m not sure about PA High Gloss in the “Substantial” list though. I only got 2 weeks out of it. I’m not sure if it’s because of the high Tio2 and the low SiO2 but it doesn’t last anywhere near as long as it’s brethren Cosmic and Viking. It’s a great gloss enhancer but I wouldn’t use it as a stand alone like the others.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Loach liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I`d be disappointed if I bought a SIo2 topper that just lasted a couple weeks. I can get that much on bare paint with Duragloss rinseless wash. Some of these maintenance products seem to be more hype than substance.
    Likes Mikem3574 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Overcoat, PA Viking/Cosmic, and IGL Premier all will last 4+ months as a stand alone product based on my testing. My testing was on a vehicle that was exposed to the elements 24/7 and run through automatic car washes at least once. They were not babied at all. At the 4 month mark all were still viable and if properly decontaminated would have been good to go for a few more months. I call them coating lites because they are so much better than the normal Reload type products that only last (for me) two weeks.

Moonlight and Cancoat fall more into the 9 month category.

Gliss and TAC Topcoat 1.0 are, imho, different products and should be in a category all to theirselves or just call them coatings.

Cure lasts around 2 weeks similar to Reload.
    Not much but I wasn’t impressed.

Post Thanks / Like

Inverted, was wondering if you had any durability numbers from using Adams 9H to help decide where it belongs.

RLM experienced a couple weeks with PA HG. SWETM may have experienced more. I’ve used it as a topper only and it seemed to last well over a month (by my eye, the LSP below looked quite different) before I played with something else. I`m moving it down to maintenance for the moment (reflected in thread #35 above now) as I agree it may not go 3-4 months on avg. 3 months is quite a lot. Others can chime in we can modify if necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Inverted, was wondering if you had any durability numbers from using Adams 9H to help decide where it belongs.

RLM experienced a couple weeks with PA HG. SWETM may have experienced more. I’ve used it as a topper only and it seemed to last well over a month (by my eye, the LSP below looked quite different) before I played with something else. I`m moving it down to maintenance for the moment (reflected in thread #35 above now) as I agree it may not go 3-4 months on avg. 3 months is quite a lot. Others can chime in we can modify if necessary.
    Unfortunately I don’t think Adams 9h has been out that long. Adams does a great job explaining why it is a coating lite on their website and I’d recommend anyone to read as I thought it was insightful. Makes sense of coating lites. Leaving it in the 4-5 month range till proven seems right.

Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    I can attest that PA Presto lasts months in good weather. However, I had no idea it had sio2.

I agree that ECH20 shouldn’t make the list, but just by a hair. It’s one of those “if it’s 60 degrees and not raining you’ll get a few weeks” type sprays.
    According to the SDS PA Presto is 25% SiO2 and 30% TiO2 in it. Rapidwaxx is 30/30. Sprayduster which is theirs QD is 12/12. Presto was made for Master Sealant as a topper with their 5% carnuaba processed. Claims 4-6 months longevity but that is not something you often gets if you not apply it on bare paint maybe and then goes the whole topper for Master Sealant out of the door LOL

I have so far only done 2 tests with PA High Gloss. And to get a great comparison I had it against BSD. The first test got comprimised since Adam`s Waterless Wash claimed at least here in Sweden that it was nothing in it. But must have a good amount of glossenhancers as both did not so good on that test. And since I`m more familier with BSD I knowned something was of. Next test with Reset car soap as the car soap and prewash foam with a TFR. I got the expected from BSD at almost 3 months longevity and High Gloss close behind. This on a car that sits outside 24/7 but not driven. What I noticed with HG was that even if the water behavior dropped it was still that slightly darkening effect left and it was gone with the BSD the looks from it. And I think that HG is to be seen as a glossenhancer and depends on the protection that it`s applyied before. As a stand alone LSP it seems to be not so great longevity from. But the looks on a dark blue metallic VW Passat paint was very good as it makes the metallic flakes pops amazingly. Will be interesting to see how it will do when it`s time for topping the Master Sealant on my silver metallic Kia cee`d SW. Bright and a lot of metallic flakes in it can be an interesting look from PA High Gloss.
    Likes Loach, rlmccarty2000, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am curious why CanCoat is under coating light but DPC Armor is under maintenance toppers because both claim to have 10% Sio2. Where are we drawing the destination between these two products and similar?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Inverted View Post
    I am curious why CanCoat is under coating light but DPC Armor is under maintenance toppers because both claim to have 10% Sio2. Where are we drawing the destination between these two products and similar?
    Gyeon`s site states >10% and it was verified by another forum member that a Gyeon rep mentioned it was closer to 20% SiO2 within it. Also CanCoat does harden where it looks like DPC does not.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Loach, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Inverted View Post
    Have you heard of the longevity from DPC Armor? Not claimed but from those who have used it. CanCoat is knowned for it`s longevity from many who have used it. Then it`s hard with just takeing the amount of SiO2 and put in the longevity range because of that. Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz that has a high concentration of 35% SiO2 I think not has as long longevity as CanCoat. There are different way to mix chemicals that gets to be SiO2 on the paint. And also other chemicals mixed in to be the hydrophobic layer and the slickness. For what I saw on DPC Armor was it also has silicone in it too. That`s an easy way to get a slickness feel to the touch. Some uses TiO2 as Mothers CMX does and SiO2. Also PA uses TiO2 much in their products as it`s very reflective and also durable. But need something else in it to get the hydrophobics and protection as a LSP. TiO2 for an example is one thing in white pigment in paints. SiO2 is even used in some food products mostly in powder mixes to not get it to lumps together. In EU it has it`s own E-number where all different chemical and chemical mixes addetives is sorted out mostly for the food industrie. So different chemicals gets SiO2 to behave differently and also different chemicals can get to be SiO2 in the end. And most coatings has not pure SiO2 in them. And the atom build up in silicone is very a like SiO2 as the main chemical chain is Si-O-Si-O-Si and other atoms attached to this string. While SiO2 is O-Si-O and get attached to other atoms and strings in that form. And this is just the basics so SiO2 technology is very much a complicated chemistry and can come in many different ways to ceramic coatings than just the use of pure SiO2.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, echoing SWETM in a much less intelligent sounding way, SiO2 percentages don’t seem to directly correlate with average mild weather longevity that the list is based on.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information