Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 Beginner`s List of SiO2 Spray Products

Very good list. I agree with Troy about removing BSD and PNS just because they don’t contain any SiO2. I’m still unsure where CMX should go. Has anyone done a durability test on CMX? I ran CMX side by side with Moonlight but CMX started looking strange after a few weeks so I did the whole car with IGL Premier. I still want to see what two coats of CMX does but with my back still healing it might be awhile.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Gyeon Cure is missing too. One of my least favorites but should be included in the maintenance section.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Adams 9h is a coating lite.... marketed that way. Just cuz it sucks (personally haven’t tried it and internet torture test are wack) or a couple of not real world test says so. If things were not on the list because their not up to snuff.... reload and cure should be downgraded to QD. Application and effects definetly make it a coating lite
    That was essentially the purpose for making a list. To sift through wild marketing claims vs real world performance to determine what can really be expected out of these sprays.

i do acknowledge that Reload has poor durability, but even a few weeks is enough to live in the maintenance category, given it meets the made-up criteria.

Post Thanks / Like

No I get it.... but don’t know if any persons doing long term durability of the product. Adams has a traditional coating... booster which is their topper which will work as a stand alone giving “3 months”. And ceramic 9h as 6-12 month durability. With out long term testing gotta give Adams benefit of doubt. Their other ceramic products draw great reviews. Lol I’d try but don’t need a 3rd bottle of ceramic light. Just saying if it walk, talks and is called a duck. Should be a duck till proven other wise. Also agree with budget on the PA’s and Ivercoat. Not quit coating lite.... better than most toppers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    And it’s a great thought. These 3 went back and forth in the original thread. I started them as coating light “grey area”. You commented similar to this and I moved it down to maintenance. It got moved back into coating lite territory when rlm gave his belief that they would all three meet the 6 month avg durability as standalone criteria. Average durability itself has a lot of leeway around it, but I found that enough at the time.

One thing to note, I eventually backed off the idea of whether it was intended as standalone or as a coating topper impacting which subcategory it ended up in. As long as a given spray was coating-esque and meant for either application (criteria/rule 2) I included them in a subcategory depending on standalone durability. I had to make these fake rules up for consistency and apples-to-apples product comparison even though we all know they weren’t created equal or for identical purposes.

As far as the legend of CanCoat... I didn’t make that the coating lite cutoff because it may have little to no competition. I used the real world avg duration of 5-6 months plus to mimic that this product is as durable as your classic good Sealant and something you would only need to apply twice a year if it was your one and only LSP. Seemed like a good cutoff timeframe. I have no doubt that CanCoat may be the original and in numerous ways, best coating lite. I just didn’t intend it being the boundary line... I’ll consistently see it more of the champion or top-three of the coating lites.

With all this said, and with your vast experience of trying toppers, Budget, do you believe that using PA Cosmic/Viking or Overcoat as a standalone would yield 5-6 months durability in an Ohio late spring through fall environment? If so, I would consider it belonging in the list based on criteria 2. If not, maybe these are really close to grey area between subcategories, or maybe they absolutely belong in maintenance sprays.

The grey area ones are tough and since different results from different people in different environments will vary, we’ll just try our best to get the subcategory right-ish.
    Have never tried the PA Viking but I`d guess realistically and practically, Overcoat would top out at 3-4 months if well maintained. I get the feeling PA Cosmic isnt quite as `tough` so maybe 3 months.

Hard to say, never really watched anything with those as stand-alones for that long.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Apex did a test on youtube with CMX and found it pretty durable. He also showed that a mild polish won`t remove it. So durability seems to be pretty good for a spray product. So far, none of the videos I`ve seen have showed how to know that a coating has been removed. Some videos show a change in water beading or sheeting but that doesn`t necessarily mean the product has been removed, just weakened.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I’m fine adding Gyeon Cure assuming it lasts for more than a few days (I see it’s marketed as QD). Any additional experience info would be appreciated.

I’m fine moving Overcoat and 2 PA Spritz back down to maintenance, would be nice to get a concurrence from rlm, but since I don’t think he tested durability that far I think he’d be OK.

as far as the Adams thing, I’m almost in a ‘guilty until proven innocent’ assumption to start with these. Most of that large maintenance spray list markets up to 6 months durability and don’t last near that in real world daily driver cases. That being said, it does feel wrong that doubt it with no user data. I’m not going to update the list this soon, so there’s more time to get differing opinions or experiences with these.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I’m fine adding Gyeon Cure assuming it lasts for more than a few days (I see it’s marketed as QD). Any additional experience info would be appreciated.
    It’s a maintenance product. QD’s typically have the ability to clean and this does not have that ability. Which is why Gyeon now offers a stand alone QD.

Toss Jay Leno Radiant into the mix as well. It’s their stand alone SiO2 spray sealant.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes acuRAS82, Coatings=crack liked this post
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I also forgot that Gliss could be added to the coating lite category. It can be used as a stand alone although folks choose to use it as a top coat. I can say that V1 has done well for me over the last 8 months going on 9. I am using it as a top coat and I can still feel the overall slickness on the surface compared to the areas that were not topped.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m fine moving Overcoat and 2 PA Spritz back down to maintenance, would be nice to get a concurrence from rlm, but since I don’t think he tested durability that far I think he’d be OK.

as far as the Adams thing, I’m almost in a ‘guilty until proven innocent’ assumption to start with these. Most of that large maintenance spray list markets up to 6 months durability and don’t last near that in real world daily driver cases. That being said, it does feel wrong that doubt it with no user data. I’m not going to update the list this soon, so there’s more time to get differing opinions or experiences with these.
    Overcoat, PA Viking/Cosmic, and IGL Premier all will last 4+ months as a stand alone product based on my testing. My testing was on a vehicle that was exposed to the elements 24/7 and run through automatic car washes at least once. They were not babied at all. At the 4 month mark all were still viable and if properly decontaminated would have been good to go for a few more months. I call them coating lites because they are so much better than the normal Reload type products that only last (for me) two weeks.

Moonlight and Cancoat fall more into the 9 month category.

Gliss and TAC Topcoat 1.0 are, imho, different products and should be in a category all to theirselves or just call them coatings.

Cure lasts around 2 weeks similar to Reload.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Inverted View Post
    Adams 9H Ceramic should not be on the coating lite list. It is a topper at best.
    Inverted, do you have any experience with Adams 9h?

Post Thanks / Like

RLM, any issues if I move Overcoat, Cosmic and Viking since others are averaging less than 5 months?

Other option for these 3 that was suggested before but I’m worried could create new debate is to add a “Premium 4-5 month maintenance sprays” category. My fear being the some other maintenance sprays can be argued to creep into the subcategory, destabilizing the lists for awhile.

Thoughts welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe 3 categories as it can be a big difference to the maintance and coating lite categories. Say 0-3 months and 4-6 and 7-12 months. Compare a 2 week product with a 4 months product seems to be a little huge difference. And this is not an easy list to get all satisfied with. But somewhere it`s a fun interesting thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Maybe 3 categories as it can be a big difference to the maintance and coating lite categories. Say 0-3 months and 4-6 and 7-12 months. Compare a 2 week product with a 4 months product seems to be a little huge difference. And this is not an easy list to get all satisfied with. But somewhere it`s a fun interesting thing.
    Tony, you’re the man. So I’m in! Which category does IGL belong in? Premium 4-6?
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

If it`s goes over 6 months I think it would go in the highest premium range. Those that struggles to reach the range puts in the lower range. For an example I think most would get 3-4 months of Angelwax Enigma QED. So should go into the middle range. Aswell as PA High Gloss, PA Cosmic Spritz and Viking Spritz in the middle. Even if it`s claims 7 months longevity but not many get there. And overall it`s hard to see the longevity of these products as they useally is used as toppers.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information