Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

TRIED to give products away at work. Interesting.

So I thinned out the herd a tiny bit this week, placing some really nice products in a Tupperware box and went off to work to give the stuff away. Interestingly, aside from two folks, most people didn`t even know what the products were.

One person lifted a like-new bottle of Best In Show wax and gave it a cursorily look, and said "oh my god, I`d never be inclined to wax my own car". Another person asked if the 1/4-full bottle of Menzerna 1000 was "like a wax?". Assuming this was a question, I started to explain, and was cut off mid-sentence with an eye roll.

It would be one thing if the parking lot at work were full of Daihatsus and work trucks, but it`s definately not the case. Corvettes, Teslas, Beemers, nice new Subarus and Hondas, all going to sh!t.

I realize we Autopians are on the fringe, but come on people, take care of your belongings!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TRIED to give products away at work. Interesting.

When a vehicle is often the second most expensive thing someone owns next to a house, it makes all the sense in the world that people should take care of them. It blows my mind how most people treat theirs like disposable appliances.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes blakcivicsi99, EXPDetailing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I donated very good Detailing products to my Jag Club`s annual raffle a few times. Good, universally useful stuff like MFs, QDs, etc. that cost a fair bit and took me a while to decide upon. Got some things from vendors who heard I was donating towards a good cause.

But sigh...it got discouraging to hear people act like they had zero interest in the stuff and only took it because "well, I had to go up there and claim my prize...don`t know what I`d do with it..you want it?" Basically just threw away [resources] and got rewarded with frustration. Never again...now when a charity gets something from me I just give cash directly. Too bad, the raffles could`ve been FUN, my wife and I always liked winning and getting to select something appealing, but it often seemed like we were the only people who genuinely did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    When a vehicle is often the second most expensive thing someone owns next to a house, it makes all the sense in the world that people should take care of them. It blows my mind how most people treat theirs like disposable appliances.
    While I don`t assign value based on what something cost, and don`t think that (Autopian) Detailing is really necessary to keep a vehicle serviceable, I do believe in the aspect of "Mottainai" that encourages "respect for one`s stuff". ALL of one`s stuff.

And/but...I wonder how many people really OWN their vehicles these days anyhow. Most folks I know IRL just lease, and, to my amazement, I`ve yet to hear of anybody getting charged for treating them like [crap]. I wouldn`t treat rented/leased/borrowed stuff much different from "my own", but I do hear lots of "it doesn`t matter, it`s just leased.." as if other people do pretend that they differentiate. Truth is, IMO, those people didn`t treat "their" cars any better, they just use leasing as an excuse to justify it. I mean, sheesh...I don`t touch the paint on rentals between washes; right is right and wrong is wrong and character is what you do when it`s just you and your conscience.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, whether owned or just leased, folks tend to treat their vehicles worse than a refrigerator these days. I just got done adding another later of Souveran to mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, whether owned or just leased, folks tend to treat their vehicles worse than a refrigerator these days..
    Heh heh, for that matter, a lot of refrigerators I see are, uhm...well, I`d hesitate to consume anything that`d been in there.

OK...I gotta ask..."another layer of Souveran to.." one of your cars or a refrigerator?!?
    Likes Coatings=crack, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, for that matter, a lot of refrigerators I see are, uhm...well, I`d hesitate to consume anything that`d been in there.

OK...I gotta ask..."another layer of Souveran to.." one of your cars or a refrigerator?!?

To the fridge! LOL. We all know it will last longer on it than a car. Still goes super easy on and off with the fridge like it does a car.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Heh heh, figures, you crazy Autopian you

Ah, it occurs to me that you must not have dogs Ours need *CLEANED* regularly due to the nose-smudges (hope that`s all it is ).

Our glass-fronted one in the kitchen just gets cleaned with Glass Cleaner and/but the vinyl-faced ones get ONR-ed. I did use some old Meg`s A12 on a metal filing cabinet once though. Gee, that was nearly 20 years ago and even that CleanerWax is still on there looking shiny. Maybe that`s just from the ONR dusting though...

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, no dogs, but I’m sure wiping the fridge would be a multiple times daily routine for me if I did.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, with these two (who are currently after me for...something..) *everything* seems to be a multiple times daily routine

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had some really good luck giving away detailing supplies on Craigslist. I do a purge every few years and have gotten some very appreciative people.

Post Thanks / Like

Sad. To most of us, you showing up to work with products would have been like hitting the lottery.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes rlmccarty2000, 392hemi liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The refrigerator discussions are ironic, because I was thinking as I wrote the post that people generally clean their stainless appliances, cast iron pans, vinyl fencing, gutters, floors, etc - and they learn how to do it effectively. But the car can eat a bag of sausages. If there`s a $6 tunnel that will wash a thing for you, without you lifting a finger, why WOULDN`T you do it?

Post Thanks / Like

People dont care. Ive often tried to give some stuff away and most people said that the only way they will take is if i use the stuff on there car.

Post Thanks / Like

Nowadays vehicles are designed and built like disposable appliances.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information