Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TRIED to give products away at work. Interesting.

Eh, IMO most people don`t take proper care of *anything* if it takes effort/self-discipline. Including themselves and other stuff that`s a lot more important than any vehicle.

I`ll make myself even more popular here (yeah, that`s sarcasm there... ) by again posting that I hope everybody with a nicely detailed vehicle does everything else in life to the same high standard. If somebody`s car is perfectly detailed but [some other aspect of life] is messed up, then something`s wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Today is my off day, but one way I take care of myself is to go walking many miles. People who know I’m a car but are shocked I seem to walk more than I drive and to an extent they are right. I mentioned I do my own lawn. I also trim all the shrubs and of course I clean the house myself. One thing I splurge on is having someone do my taxes though. He’s a very competent tax attorney who never lets me down.

Other than that, I do most things myself but I do have a handy man to help me. He was the contractor who built my house so I have a long history with him. Just last week we installed a replacement garbage disposal. Seems like they go every ten years.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, noting that I earned a BS in Accounting, there`s no way I`d try to do my own taxes, takes greater expertise than I possess and I simply hate expending my time on such stuff.

I DIY tasks when I have a reason to (Saturday it was replacing a faucet and this week it`s clearing fallen trees), but life is short so I`m careful how I spend it, and I don`t mind outsourcing stuff to the right Pros. Anybody can do some chores, but only *I* can do other things (nobody else can learn/exercise/experience life for me) and there`s only so much time.

[INSERT my usual heresy of "If I could only pay somebody to do the all that Detailing for me"...]

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    Today is my off day, but one way I take care of myself is to go walking many miles.
    Good on you for that! I too walk many miles (in addition to the real Cardio) and consider it downright essential for good health and successful aging. Humans are designed to walk.... a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

That`s the "mode of operation" with many people now-a-days. Too much "outsourcing", too little saving for the future. Too many short change their talents and would rather write a check and lay on the couch watching golf.

I worked as a construction manager after college and part of the interview checklist for new laborers was to walk outside and look at their vehicle. A vehicle reflects how a person will take care of company equipment and their organization qualities. You were not concerned about how new it was...... you looked for how tidy it was. Clean windows and a trash free interior speaks highly about the pride the owner has.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`ll make myself even more popular here (yeah, that`s sarcasm there... ) by again posting that I hope everybody with a nicely detailed vehicle does everything else in life to the same high standard. If somebody`s car is perfectly detailed but [some other aspect of life] is messed up, then something`s wrong.
    We all have friends who are at the extremes of both ends of that spectrum. But I have to admit.... the people I call my closest friends are all "doers" who are/were successful in their careers and take pride in their homes, cars, and relationships. The old adage about "birds of a feather flocking together" seems to apply.

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, IMO most people don`t take proper care of *anything* if it takes effort/self-discipline. Including themselves and other stuff that`s a lot more important than any vehicle.

If everything is not as clean as my car then somethings wrong.... what if some other aspect being messed up is why they escape to their hobby cleaning their car. That’s great assertation of yourself but doesn’t apply to everyone.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy detailing my vehicles (and trying out new products), but I don’t enjoy cleaning the house or yard maintenance. Stuff gets done, but the car stuff is way more enjoyable and relaxing.

My wife does our taxes and volunteers in the community to help others who have English as a second language.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m pretty sure I`d recive a similar response if I tried the same thing at work.

Besides a couple guys who restore cars as a hobby and take pretty good care of their daily drivers, most barely know the color, brand name and model of the vehicle they drove to work that morning and I`d bet most don`t know the size of the engine, number of gears in the transmission, or even the brand of tires currently mounted on their car.

Around here the masses flock to the automated car washes with the brushes, or the tunnel washes with brushes which also add the guys doing the drying and "wipe down" with semi-clean, scratch towels. My neighbors just frown and shake their heads when they see me washing our cars. No one gets it any more.

Post Thanks / Like

[Original post, all three versions of it, DELETED to avoid giving (even greater) offense ]

This whole Detailing "to relax" or "for enjoyment" topic is why I consider myself an Autopian Heretic.

Different people deal with Life differently.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m one of those different people. If I didn’t enjoy detailing and find it relaxing I’m sure I’d just wash my car with a bucket, old rags, and dish soap and call it a day.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty easy choice sometimes--put up with all the noise and other crap inside the house; kids, TV, noise they call music, and the boss--or--the relativity calm of the garage
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, if I did a less-than-optimal job on anything I dislike doing my life would be a mess! Or at least I`d feel that it is and that`s what counts; doing things..all things..to the best of my ability is just part of my sense of self and the primary source of my self esteem. Love it or hate it, if I have to do it I`m gonna do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I’m one of those different people. If I didn’t enjoy detailing and find it relaxing I’m sure I’d just ..[do it badly]...
    I dunno Bill, IMO you`re unlikely to do a half-@$$ed job at much of anything

Never Enuff- I bet that`s how a lot of people..make that *most people*... are, if not about Detailing then about something else they enjoy doing.
    Likes Never Enuff liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well let’s just say I never would’ve had my lift if I wasn’t a bit nutty about detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Well let’s just say I never would’ve had my lift if I wasn’t a bit nutty about detailing.
    Heh heh, I`ll call (sorta) BS on that one too Well..OK, nah...you`re in FLA so maybe that`s not essential.

But here in Ohio I need *some* way to get the cars up to do the undercarriages and if I couldn`t do it with jacks/stands I`d have to have a lift to DIY it.

Post Thanks / Like

Can’t wait for you to maybe get one. It seems so suiting to your extreme wash regimen!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information