Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: TRIED to give products away at work. Interesting.

And their prices keep on rising
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    The refrigerator discussions are ironic, because I was thinking as I wrote the post that people generally clean their stainless appliances, cast iron pans, vinyl fencing, gutters, floors, etc - and they learn how to do it effectively. But the car can eat a bag of sausages. If there`s a $6 tunnel that will wash a thing for you, without you lifting a finger, why WOULDN`T you do it?
    well, if there were a $6 option for gutters and fences, I would probably go that route personally.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been selective when I’ve thinned the herd, meaning I offer to people I know have similar interests. That said, I’ve never had problems giving products or equipment away.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

My friends talk about me and my “detailing supplies” in the same tones as you would use for an alcoholic and bottles of liquor. I’ve given them some of my extra mystery box goodies and the Meguires kits that I got as a free gift. They accepted my gifts but I don’t think they ever got used. One did call me when the plastic on his car started to fade. At least I’m the “resident expert” on something. Lol. I don’t judge them for their dirty cars and I try to keep my comments about their cars from being of the disparaging type, but it would be a nicer world if people cleaned their cars at least once a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it’s just our thing. My coworkers don’t care if their cars clean or not. Makes mine look extra shiny though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Every once in a while you will see a car you walk by and see wax that has touched the edge of the trim over most of the vehicle

It was obviously hand waxed by someone who at least tried.

Mostly it’s just people who pay a couple more dollars for the “fast wax” option at Crew car wash. Stuff seems to be like a spray on rinse off product.

Cars look pretty good and have reasonable beading honestly

But alas probably more than 50% just hope for the free car wash at the dealer if they get a recall, repair or oil change type service once every 3-6 months

I remember in the 90s all the gas stations that would give free car washes with a fill up. Those were great in the winter. Bristle brushes of love

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The vast majority of people I know pay somebody else to clean their homes and to do every other chore that they don`t want to do (and those supposed "professionals" do a terrible job IMO). And as I keep posting, *nobody* that I know IRL keeps his car decently detailed by Autopian standards. Nobody. Not even the guys with rooms full of concours trophies.

Dan- I can`t quite bring myself to do Craigslist...with all the "Craigslist killer" concerns I`d have to set up a meet at the local PD and figure out a way to keep Mr. Buyer from learning more about me than I`d want him to know...like my phone#/email/etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    The vast majority of people I know pay somebody else to clean their homes and to do every other chore that they don`t want to do (and those supposed "professionals" do a terrible job IMO)

Yep sounds like my neighbor who doesn’t lift a finger unlike yours truly who mowed his lawn this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Heh heh, I`d probably tell myself that he has some heap big important stuff to attend to instead...if I liked him. Otherwise he`d just be a lazy so-and-so

OTOH, there`s one guy in our neighborhood who mows his lawn *all the time* and I don`t mean just twice or three times a week...if he weren`t such a [jerk] I`d tell myself he`s doing it as a diversion to keep sober or something, but eh...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, he’s a real outlier! Too bad he doesn’t detail his cars all the time like that huh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Wow, he’s a real outlier! Too bad he doesn’t detail his cars all the time like that huh?
    Eh, if he does *anything* the way he mows that lawn it`d just be more neurosis IMO.

Can you tell he made a, uhm...certain impression on me?!? [Freakin` jerk]...at least he doesn`t want any part of trouble with me and (now) knows exactly where the property line is. In all fairness, he`s nice to my wife..but I saw his true colors before he realized he needed to get all nice and friendly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    The vast majority of people I know pay somebody else to clean their homes and to do every other chore that they don`t want to do (and those supposed "professionals" do a terrible job IMO). And as I keep posting, *nobody* that I know IRL keeps his car decently detailed by Autopian standards. Nobody. Not even the guys with rooms full of concours trophies.

Dan- I can`t quite bring myself to do Craigslist...with all the "Craigslist killer" concerns I`d have to set up a meet at the local PD and figure out a way to keep Mr. Buyer from learning more about me than I`d want him to know...like my phone#/email/etc.
    I usually meet the person at a grocery store or other out in the open place.

You are right about nobody doing anything themselves. We have lots of stay at home moms in our neighborhood and they have cleaning services as well as lawn care. They are all so busy doing not a damn thing.

I`m the polar opposite of that. I have to do everything myself. I was proud of myself for getting an electrician out to do some wiring work that previously I`ve tackled myself.

Bringing it back to keeping cars clean, these super busy people spend more time driving to the carwash and waiting in line than it would take for them to do it themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s laziness all over the country. I smile when I get a sense of satisfaction out of doing something myself not to mention the money I save.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That would be a good topic for some thread some day...the satisfaction of a job well done and how it factors in to the whole Detailing thing.

I dunno...guess I`ve become a bit jaded about it in the Detailing context, now it`s just "the norm" to have the vehicles the way I want them; I`m more likely to experience *dissatisfaction* if something could be better (well, something that I care about).

I guess that happens with most things I DIY...once I`ve done it a few times I`ve BTDT and then it`s the New Normal with no justification for continued self-congrats nor excuse for backsliding. I set the bar awfully high for myself when it comes to feeling genuinely laudable accomplishment.

As far as saving $, I dunno...I spent so much on facilities, especially building the current shop, and on Detailing Stuff in general over the years, that I doubt there`s any financial justification. If we had decent Pros in my area I bet I could`ve saved a bundle by having such stuff done for me.

Heh heh, if everybody DIYed their Detailing, the Pros here would be in trouble!

Post Thanks / Like

Another question might be, Where did these "friend/coworkers/neighbors learn or better yet, not learn how to take care of their expensive possessions? Maybe the same place many of us learned the importance of and how to take good care of yours. IMHO detailers have just taken the responsibility of taking care of their vehicle to a higher level. So high, that they have turned that "passion" into a business. I believe that we are influenced by what we learn or observe at home. We learn the true worth of things at home and or, how hard we had to work for the item, or if we had to work for it at all. Some people just don`t give a crap about their car/truck. Their to lazy, busy, old, etc etc etc to take care of it and if that is true why should they learn anything about the process. There is always someone that will do the job for them, at a price. If we assume that anyone except a professional detailer has the same interest in keeping their vehicle "nice" we are most likely going to be disappointed I believe. If you get to know people well enough and can identify someone that may be a "weekend warrior" detail enthusiast I think they would be thrilled at the idea of a professional wanting to give them some of their lesser used products away, I know I would!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information